About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Mouse Manipulation of Rigidbodies
3DRaddict Offline

Mouse Manipulation of Rigidbodies
I've always found that the best way to get fully acquainted with a new engine is to port over a successful project from an engine that one has previously been using. Well, this is what I have just done, and I must say that I am extremely surprised at how quickly and smoothly the whole process has been. This is due entirely to how cleverly the structure and operation of the Esenthel Engine has been put together.I battled with the documentation at first, but if you spend some time delving into it you will find what you are looking for in the well commented API headers and the many tutorial examples. Well done, Esenthel, I'm sure that your engine is going to suit my needs!
Anyway, I thought that I would show off my first Esenthel project in this thread.The project is not a game (I've never really put together a real game) but something that is very useful and valuable to me in the type of projects I undertake... user realtime interactivity with virtual world objects. The project, as the title suggests, demonstrates how a user can grab and smoothly move/rotate PhysBody based objects using the mouse.It is quite difficult to perfect the physics involved to accomplish this, and many of the examples I've seen have the picked object bouncing around as it is manipulated.
Well, here is a small introductory video and a download of the compiled project for you to try, if you so desire.
BTW, read the HELP instructions...the operator interface is a little different to what you are used to!

Compiled demo zipped as a .rar file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2104...bodies.rar
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 04:55 PM by 3DRaddict.)
07-27-2014 09:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: Mouse Manipulation of Rigidbodies
Nice demo 3DRaddict
07-27-2014 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

That's pretty neat. At the end where the double ball-stick goes through the quad teapot-cross, using ccd(constant collision detection) might keep that from happening if you aren't using it already.
07-27-2014 05:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

Thanks for commenting, Pixel and Rubeus.

Quote:At the end where the double ball-stick goes through the quad teapot-cross, using ccd(constant collision detection) might keep that from happening if you aren't using it already.

I'm actually using ccd already. Apart from the quad arms being quite thin, I suspect that the answer lies in the fact that the barbell has an iron PhysMaterial applied and the quad arms have wood PhysMaterial. Iron is approx 8 times more dense than wood so that kind of makes the wood more fragile than the iron. Also, if the barbell is dropped on the table, it passes straight through. I'll have to make the table material more dense to try and correct this. Or else make the table destructable, so it breaks apart ! grin
07-27-2014 06:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

Increased the density of the wood PhysMaterial... the quad arms and the table now support the heavy barbell, without it passing through.
[Image: strongerwood.jpg]

Demo download updated accordingly.
07-28-2014 05:00 PM
Spezies Offline

(07-27-2014 06:03 PM)3DRaddict Wrote:  Or else make the table destructable, so it breaks apart ! grin

For me, a destructable table or some other item is great. But it must be within combination of the height of the fallen object. If you lay down a heavy item on a table it must not broke absolutely. Not until you let the heavy item fall down from a certain height. But i think thats not really easy.
07-29-2014 10:15 AM
3DRaddict Offline

I agree with what you are saying, Spezies, except
Quote:But i think thats not really easy

The fixed Joints holding the table Actor parts together can be made breakable on the application of a set max.force.
The collision force is dependent on the change in momentum of the colliding Actor on each frame, which is in turn dependent on its velocity change per frame. Esenthel provides a function to obtain an Actor's velocity, so a max breaking force can be set dependent on the colliding Actor's velocity change each frame.
Whether that will work,or not?... I will have to try wink
07-29-2014 06:33 PM