About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Textures
Rubeus Offline

Textures
So, I bought my girlfriend a lens extension for her camera that turns a macro lens into a micro, allowing for rediculously close shots. Inevitably, she began to walk around my condo and take pictures of various things rediculously close.
Most of the pictures turned out pretty cool. A couple of them made my inner nerd cry out in joy. Some of them look like something that could be used as an in-game texture for various things.
Now, I'm no texture artist. I'm a programmer. Programmer art is definitely not pretty. It's its own category of terrible(YOU know what I mean). However, a lot of these could be cleaned up, adjusted, and turned into quite usable resources for various things, if you are looking into something that looks semi-realistic.
Once I told her about that, she asked if I would ask you guys if you would be interested in a texture pack for some really cheap amount of money(does anyone ever pay for textures these days?), or even custom requests.

I attached a few of them to show off- these are resized(4xxx by 3xxxx was a bit extreme), and these were taken without a tripod or light box. These pictures were of an old video card, a piece of foam from the box I got my gun in, and a book cover(Pubished in 1904).

Attached File(s) Image(s)

03-08-2013 07:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gwald Offline

RE: Textures
Wow that's pretty neat!

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
03-08-2013 07:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gdalex Offline

Thanks for sharing smile
03-08-2013 08:59 PM
para Offline

Ha! Nice shots, I remember when I got my macro lens and extensions, one of the first things I photographed was an old video card grin
But sadly, macro photos (of this scale) don't usually make for great textures, they have a shallow depth of field, cover a tiny area and suffer even more from various lens artifacts.. not to discourage your gf from taking photos for textures, or even from macro photography, she definitely should make pictures for textures, but judging from my experience macro photos just aren't that suitable. But they sure are interesting smile
03-08-2013 09:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

Para, that does make sense, but wouldn't some of them be useful for creating textures for larger objects? I figured people might like to have textures of raw materials to work with that they can stitch together to fit a more complex object-like different types of metals for a piece of armor, or cloth and wood for a chair.
Admittedly, I have no idea how any of that is done. All the artists I know actually make an effort to keep me away from the art side of things.
Regardless, it's still cool. grin
03-08-2013 10:38 PM
para Offline

Sure, a few can be made into ready to use textures, most can be used as a material reference/study.. but it's hard and requires a lot of work afterwards..

I'll share some of mine:

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 12:55 AM by para.)
03-09-2013 12:52 AM
uNetti Offline

The biggest problem I foresee with using it as texture is matching them, so when you put 9 of them together it looks like 1 big picture not 9 separate "frames".
03-10-2013 01:53 PM