About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Generating world in realtime
kulesz Offline

Generating world in realtime
Is it possible to generate world in realtime?
For example: I'm making some main part of world in WE, and if character leaves the borders of this world, the rest is dynamicaly generated (with random objects and heightmap). And after walking ~20km character can still go back to the manually generated part.
Is it somehow possible, or do I need to make all my world manualy?

Eventually, second scenario: I make my world out of ~20 separate islands (in different world files) and combine them is some kind of map - can character swim from island to island without any loading?

Eventually, third scenario: how can I make a sphere-shaped world? Eg.: walking near the east border of map makes character appear (without visible notice to player) at the west side.

And last question: is it possible to get terrain material from the feet contact point of character (or vehicle tire)? For example to change velocity/grip/slip value on ice, sand etc.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2010 12:34 AM by kulesz.)
03-01-2010 10:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Generating world in realtime
(03-01-2010 10:02 PM)kulesz Wrote:  Is it possible to generate world in realtime?
For example: I'm making some main part of world in WE, and if character leaves the borders of this world, the rest is dynamicaly generated (with random objects and heightmap). And after walking ~20km character can still go back to the manually generated part.
Is it somehow possible, or do I need to make all my world manualy?
maybe this would be possible but it would require lot of coding

Quote:Eventually, second scenario: I make my world out of ~20 separate islands (in different world files) and combine them is some kind of map - can character swim from island to island without any loading?
yes, you can place the whole levels as one static mesh(object) with embed into terrain.
world editor will handle the rest (splitting/optimizing/streaming)

Quote:Eventually, third scenario: how can I make a sphere-shaped world? Eg.: walking near the east border of map makes character appear (without visible notice to player) at the west side.
you could try making the east-west edges look exactly the same,
and when the player crossess the border, teleport him to the other side

Quote:And last question: is it possible to get terrain material from the feet contact point of character (or vehicle tire)? For example to change velocity/grip/slip value on ice, sand etc.
not currently
03-02-2010 12:08 PM
kulesz Offline

(03-02-2010 12:08 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  yes, you can place the whole levels as one static mesh(object) with embed into terrain.
world editor will handle the rest (splitting/optimizing/streaming)

This sound good, can I get some detailed info about? For example, I have 5 islands in separate world files, each with own coordinates and position in general world:

[Image: waterw.jpg]

How can I load all of them into my application and set, which one should appear at selected coordinates. Can I merge all my world files into some kind of map in WE?
03-02-2010 02:02 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

you must have each island in 1 mesh file, and insert each as 1 object.

merging multiple worlds into 1 is not supported.
03-02-2010 02:32 PM
kulesz Offline

Oh, I understand. One more question:
Can I export world made in WE to simple mesh object? What about physics (collisions) then - do I need to export *.phys also?
03-02-2010 02:35 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

you can play around with accessing each world area terrain mesh, join the meshes together from many areas, save them as 1.

basing on that you can create physical body from mesh

you can also consider teleporting player from 1 world to another (and use many worlds) instead of joining all of them together
03-02-2010 04:48 PM