About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Some programming tutorials?
dida55 Offline

Some programming tutorials?
Hey,

I've read through the wiki and found some interesting stuff, but i haven't found any documentation about the code. What classes therr are, how to use them etc. Do i need to explore the files myself or theres a tutorial?
11-06-2010 06:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynad Offline

RE: Some programming tutorials?
For the most features in EE are tutorials... but if you need a specific function, you need to look for yourself in the headers. But if you need something and you can't find it you can always ask here on the forum.

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
11-06-2010 07:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Masterxilo Offline

The headers are really well documented. But I think they should be documented in doxygen style and there should be a compiled doxygen documentation available...
11-07-2010 12:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
llynx Offline

(11-07-2010 12:49 AM)Masterxilo Wrote:  The headers are really well documented. But I think they should be documented in doxygen style and there should be a compiled doxygen documentation available...

API Reference.chm in the Extra Folder in the EsenthelEngineSDK
11-07-2010 01:09 AM
Masterxilo Offline

Cool, has this been there for long? How could I miss that xD.

EDIT:
After looking at it more closely, I see that it is missing all the helpful documentation found in the headers. It's really just a list of all classes, functions etc without documentation. Visual Studio could do that too, by typing "EE::"+CTRL+SPACE...

I would like to see the documentation comments in there too. It would be really easy to add, one basically just has to replace all '//'s inthe headers with '///<'...

Of course, the best would be if visual studio could display the documentation by itself in a nicely formatted manner like NetBeans does (maybe you know it).

EDIT 2:
If all the comments in the headers would be written ABOVE the functions, visual studio could at least display the raw text.
E.g. changing
Code:
Display& ambBias    (  Flt        bias    );   Flt          ambBias    () {return _amb_bias       ;} // set/get Ambient Bias            (  0..1      , default=         0.3)
to
Code:
// set/get Ambient Bias            (  0..1      , default=         0.3)
Display& ambBias    (  Flt        bias    );   Flt          ambBias    () {return _amb_bias       ;}

Improves the intellisense popup from:
[Image: 1289515664-clip-4kb.png]
to
[Image: 1289515622-clip-5kb.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2010 11:48 PM by Masterxilo.)
11-11-2010 11:31 PM
Harry Offline

(11-11-2010 11:31 PM)Masterxilo Wrote:  Cool, has this been there for long? How could I miss that xD.

Yes, it has been pfft
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2010 11:36 PM by Harry.)
11-11-2010 11:35 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(11-11-2010 11:31 PM)Masterxilo Wrote:  After looking at it more closely, I see that it is missing all the helpful documentation found in the headers.
Thanks for pointing that out, there were comments in the past, but now it looks like they disappeared, I'm checking this..

Quote:If all the comments in the headers would be written ABOVE the functions
I don't intend to do this, it would make headers 2x bigger (in terms of amount of lines) and thus making it harder to find stuff when browsing headers
11-11-2010 11:58 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

comments will be restored for next release
11-12-2010 12:15 AM
Tottel Offline

I thought I'd just post in here, in stead of making a new thread.. it's somewhat related:

I'm having this very annoying thing, which I never had any problems with before. I'm using a logical and operator in an if-structure to check if the X and Y coordinates of the bottom left corner of a rectangle match the X and Y coordinates of the bottom-left corner of another rectangle (turns to true when they overlap)

Now, for some odd reason, this does not work:

if ((x1 == goalX) && (y1 == goalY))
{
D.text(0,0, "You won!");
}

While this does work when you get on the X = 0 line:

if (x1 == goalX)
{
D.text(0,0, "You won!");
}

I printed all the variables to the screen, and they all match. I have no clue why it doesn't display the text. Also, I feel very retarded about this. ^^
11-20-2010 01:11 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

it's coz floating point values have small precision issues like 0.000001 can be on their end

you need to compare with epsilon:
instead of x==y do x>=y-eps && x<=y+eps

for that you can use Equal function (which uses the EPS epsilon)
11-20-2010 01:14 AM
Tottel Offline

Thank you Esenthel, that did the trick. smile
11-20-2010 01:34 PM
Masterxilo Offline

Yeah, you should never check floating point values for exact equality.
11-20-2010 02:13 PM