About Store Forum Documentation Contact

DX11 Water
runewake2 Offline

RE: DX11 Water
I like that idea Chris! Some foam on the beach could add a whole new sense of realism to my game. Those pics look amazing (from the first link)!
02-07-2011 08:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
yvanvds Offline

There's a lot of possible improvement for our water, I think. But don't judge a water system (like the one in the first post) by a screenshot. The way it moves/changes matters a lot. BTW, did any of you look at the water in LOTRO? I'm always tempted to jump right in :-)

Foamy waves on the water border would be very neat. And since even Torque engine (very bad graphics for the most part) has it, it can't be difficult to implement! :-)
02-07-2011 10:31 PM
dylantan Offline

(02-07-2011 10:31 PM)yvanvds Wrote:  There's a lot of possible improvement for our water, I think. But don't judge a water system (like the one in the first post) by a screenshot. The way it moves/changes matters a lot. BTW, did any of you look at the water in LOTRO? I'm always tempted to jump right in :-)

Foamy waves on the water border would be very neat. And since even Torque engine (very bad graphics for the most part) has it, it can't be difficult to implement! :-)

Esenthel, not trying pressuring you, but I hope you would take this seriously as there are more users requesting for this feature. Reason i am writing this also is partly because I am seeing other engine such as Unity, and other free engine such a nGene also has it now (waves with foamy water). I am very sure there are other more important things taking priority, but to be fair, this feature are equally important to Esenthel Engine as more users and people that would like to see this features to be included and used.
02-27-2011 04:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runewake2 Offline

He has been working on the Code Editor I believe. I'm sure he will add this when he gets the chance.

He hasn't left any high quality effects out yet. I don't see why he would now.
02-27-2011 04:57 AM
llynx Offline

(02-07-2011 10:31 PM)yvanvds Wrote:  BTW, did any of you look at the water in LOTRO? I'm always tempted to jump right in :-)

It's okay, its flat plane water with very well designed normals/specular/diffuse maps (also depends which region you're in ;D) Evendim water is the best wink
02-27-2011 04:10 PM
dylantan Offline

Just curious and would like to activate back this thread as it seem like not moving.

I am hoping to include water foam on the water for the game we are creating. Since Esenthel are currently busy and may not have enough time to look into this, what would be the best way for us to have this? Any tips on how we could include this?
05-31-2011 06:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dandruff Offline

particles, use the particle editor
05-31-2011 11:51 PM
runewake2 Offline

Yes, particles would do it. Their are some other things you could do but it would require a lot more work.
06-01-2011 01:03 AM
dylantan Offline

I see yeah I think Particle would work although it may not look good. What about decal mixture with custom shader, will that work better?
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2011 04:05 AM by dylantan.)
06-02-2011 04:04 AM
Tottel Offline

It's not DirectX 11; in fact, it's openGL, but it still looks fantastic, and the algorithm is published in a paper:

http://www-evasion.imag.fr/Membres/Eric.Bruneton/

Here's a video of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AVh1x-Uqjs

There are some other very interesting publications there as well: Vegetation, rivers, atmosphere,..
06-07-2011 09:20 PM
runewake2 Offline

That is a cool video. It looks really nice.

Also, it would be cool if we could do something similar to RealFlow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLlPaVycX5U. Granted, I'm pretty sure that RF would completely kill any computer running a game. It would still be really cool.

That video Tottel... it makes me wonder if openGL may actually pass DirectX. Wouldn't that be an interesting turn of events.
06-07-2011 10:09 PM