About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Web Browsers
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Web Browsers
IE9 was recently released, I have installed it and it's pretty cool, just out of curiosity I've tried also firefox 4 and later google chrome.
From all I like ie9 and chrome most, which one do you like?
03-29-2011 02:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chris Offline

RE: Web Browsers
It's got some dramatic speed improvements over IE8, but it seems Chrome is still a bit faster overall - so i'll stick with it as a primary browser.. but I also need to use Firefox, occasionally, just for some extensions like Zotero smile
03-29-2011 04:32 PM
Dynad Offline

I have tried them also, but i will stick to Opera and i use Firefox 4 as backup browser ^^

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
03-29-2011 05:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mardok Offline

I tested all popular browsers and the choice fell upon Firefox... previously version 3.x now 4.x. Firefox have all i need, it's smart and have support of many addons which i like.

I'm still using Windowx Xp so i can't test IE9... but don't regret.

[Image: firefox.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2011 05:33 PM by Mardok.)
03-29-2011 05:23 PM
joacorock Offline

I'm using Firefox 4 but it have a lot of problems with FB like button.

I had to delete it in my website because of FF4
03-29-2011 05:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

I've been using Firefox for several years now. And eventhough Chrome seems to be a better alternative (or so everyone keeps telling me), I'm still using it out of nostalgy. smile

Besides, firefox simply fits my needs and I like it.
03-29-2011 08:09 PM
Dandruff Offline

I recently upgraded to Firefox 4 from 3.x, never really liked IE and i am thinking about trying chrome, Opera is a sweet browser too.
03-29-2011 09:53 PM
Driklyn Offline

IE, especially IE6, has been the biggest burden for web developers for years and years. Lots of developers have to use "hacks" to get things to work in IE the same way that they do in Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.. IE9 may potentially change this, but it will take years before all IE users around the world upgrade to it, especially considering 12% of them are still using IE6, a 10-year old browser. Even Microsoft wants IE6 to die! http://ie6countdown.com/

I used to be an avid IE user, but I switched to Firefox a few years back and I've never looked back! (Okay, I occasionally use IE8 to test web stuff in, and it is terrible!) I just upgraded to FF4 a few days ago. It seems pretty good, not sure if I like it more than FF3 at this time though. It'll take some time to get used to all the changes.

[Image: firefox.png]
03-29-2011 09:58 PM
Kobaltic Offline

Fire Fox 4.

I am anti M$ and chrome is spending too much time in the clouds.
03-29-2011 10:13 PM
Rofar Offline

I'm an IE user. To me a browser is a browser is a browser. Just a tool. Since the OS already has IE, why muck up my system installing another one. With that said, I have recently started using Chrome and I do like it. I have not yet updated IE to 9.
03-29-2011 11:07 PM
fatcoder Offline

I agree with rofar, a browser is a broswer, so I just use IE. If I have to wait 0.1 of a second longer than someone else or something doesn't display perfect in it... who cares. Anyway, I just downloaded IE9. It replaced my IE8 for me and it is a lot better. So if you use Windows 7 there is really no need to look elsewhere for a browser.
03-29-2011 11:34 PM
llynx Offline

As a long time user of Opera (Currently the fastest browser on the web) I'll say that Mozilla 4 did a good job copying Opera and has an advantage over it with the amount of plug-ins.

As for IE9, its better than IE8 so far from what I see, quickest to launch too. Heh Fraps shows the FPS of every page in IE9, they probably used d3d to display everything now.
03-30-2011 01:36 AM
Driklyn Offline

(03-29-2011 11:07 PM)Rofar Wrote:  To me a browser is a browser is a browser. Just a tool.

(03-29-2011 11:34 PM)fatcoder Wrote:  I agree with rofar, a browser is a broswer, so I just use IE.

I thought the same thing... then I tried Firefox, and now I look at IE with disgust. Can't imagine using it as a primary browser anymore...
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2011 02:08 AM by Driklyn.)
03-30-2011 02:08 AM
runewake2 Offline

(03-30-2011 01:36 AM)llynx Wrote:  As a long time user of Opera (Currently the fastest browser on the web) I'll say that Mozilla 4 did a good job copying Opera and has an advantage over it with the amount of plug-ins.

Lol llynx. I have to agree though. Opera is my favorite browser by far. Nice features and always a step ahead of the competition. It's only set back is that not all websites are tested for it and it can't read your mind.
03-30-2011 02:40 AM
llynx Offline

(03-30-2011 02:40 AM)runewake2 Wrote:  It's only set back is that not all websites are tested for it and it can't read your mind.

Those crazy norwegian programmers will undoubtedly make opera the first web browser to read your mind wink

Yeah, some websites are a bit off (very rarely and usually due to bad web-developers behind the website).

But one serious drawback has always been it's low selection of add-on's has made it a little behind firefox in that regard.

Also, its actually really difficult to debate browser speeds through browser "benchmarks" as it's really really difficult to find ones that are not biased to promote specific browsers.

And as for what fatcoder said:

Arbitrary statistic:

0.1seconds * 120 Webpages a day (2006 US Statistic) * 365 = 1.13 hours a year! Thats a lot of coding time >.>
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2011 03:02 AM by llynx.)
03-30-2011 02:55 AM