About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
197$/mo

Memory Hole
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

RE: Memory Hole
I do have APP_WORK_IN_BACKGROUND flag since it's a server executable and could be run while not in focus or minimized. I can connect several clients while the server app is minimized.
Another anomaly I noticed is that while running the gameserver minimized, it consistently wants to consume ~50% of CPU time even if there are no real activity in the application. When I un-minimize the application or just run the application without minimizing it, it only takes less than 19% (fluctuating between 3-19%) of CPU time.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 03:28 AM by aceio76.)
10-12-2011 02:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

After doing more tests, I went ahead and focused on the clients, and it is also evident that the same memory creep is happening there. After running the client for about 2 hours, I have reached over 1.2GB of memory consumption, where I started with about 350MB at first run time.

Also, the same thing happens when I minimize the client: the CPU utilization jumps from <5% to ~50% CPU utilization on a 2 processor (Duo) machine, and <5% to ~25% CPU utilization on a 4 processor machine (i7 pro).

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 05:31 AM by aceio76.)
10-12-2011 05:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

cpu utilization is normal, you may want to use Time.wait

I have tried what you suggested, "unminimized" my ineisis server app, and after 7 hours of running with window visible, the memory usage is still 28MB.

I will do similar tests to Data Server

Does anyone else experience problems with growing memory usage of EE based apps? (like Data Server)
I am starting to think if it's not related to your system.
10-12-2011 06:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kulesz Offline

I've just started mine - will notice in next few hours.
10-12-2011 06:16 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

I certainly hope it's not my systems pfft since this is reproducible on 3 different machines.

Maybe I will compile and test Ineisis Lite and test with that as well.
EE, I don't think it's normal for an app to increase in CPU time usage when it's minimized. I will gather more data and post it here.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 06:52 PM by aceio76.)
10-12-2011 06:35 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Here is a youtube video showing an 8 min capture of the memory and CPU issues while running the unmodified EE MMO server executable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WSPd5aH7As

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 07:39 PM by aceio76.)
10-12-2011 07:37 PM
kulesz Offline

After 3 hours of running my server was still using the same amount of memory, so the problem isn't on the EE, I think.
10-12-2011 09:12 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(10-12-2011 06:35 PM)aceio76 Wrote:  EE, I don't think it's normal for an app to increase in CPU time usage when it's minimized. I will gather more data and post it here.
EE = Esenthel Engine (not me, I'm Esenthel)

please update your Main.cpp in Esenthel MMO Server to following code
Bool Update()
{
if(Kb.bp(KB_ESC))return false;

Gui .update( );
Server.update( );
Time .wait (1);

return true;
}

After additional 3,5 hours my ineisis server app still uses 28MB of memory.

I didn't have yet the time to analyze Data Server, but I'm confident it will have similar results.

Are you using some debug OS/Driver configuration?
Are you using DirectX in debug mode perhaps? that could explain memory usage growing.
10-12-2011 09:48 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Any background programs running could also affect memory growing.
especially some hook-based programs, that attach themself to the app running.
10-12-2011 09:52 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Someone did email me telling me he couldn't reproduce the issues I am having. Now, I have a bit of a problem to figure out since I can reproduce this on a Dell server (running as a server), a HP laptop, and a Lenovo laptop (i7). I can run the base MMO Server and Data Server on each and get the same results, so I think I need to do deeper investigation.

I will do a re-update on all three with regards to Directx, video drivers and PhysX, then recheck again. I will keep this forum open to keep the information flowing. Thanks guys.
(10-12-2011 09:52 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  Any background programs running could also affect memory growing.
especially some hook-based programs, that attach themself to the app running.

On both laptops, I have the MS Security Essentials running, but other than that, I don't have any interesting TSR type applications that could hook into other apps to capture what it is doing. On the machine that I am using as a server (the Dell machine), it is running nothing else interesting either. The best I can think of at this point is to re-run updates on all levels and re-test. If that doesn't work, then I have to throw these all away smile

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 10:04 PM by aceio76.)
10-12-2011 09:59 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Guys, does anyone else have Windows 7 running that can run these simple tests? It looks like the issue does *not* exist on Windows XP, but the memory issue exists on Windows 7. Can someone please verify? Thanks.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
10-13-2011 02:42 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I've had some time to run "Data Server.exe", and as expected, after 3 hours mem usage is same as on beginning (21 MB).
Win 7, window app not minimized.
If you have any problem regarding growing memory usage, it must be related to your system configuration, some programs installed, etc.
10-13-2011 05:20 PM