About Store Forum Documentation Contact

3D Model #1 (Update 5/28/2013)
Shatterstar Offline

3D Model #1 (Update 5/28/2013)
[attachment=2149][attachment=2149]Here is a new model that I'm currently working on. I'll be selling my models soon from my website. 25 U.S. Dollars per house. They will be in a couple of file formats, Textured, Ambient Oclusion Maps, Normal Maps, And Bump. On the website, you will be able to see each model tested inside the esenthel game engine. My prices my change, but I'm looking at 25 dollars per house, 35 for larger houses, 50 dollars for large churches and about 60 dollars per castle. I'll also be offering Mediveal Town Packages for cheaper than if you bought the models individually. Anyways....I hope to gain some fans on here, and I thought i would document some of my work. Here is a small house, unfinished. I hope you enjoy. smile

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2013 10:36 PM by Shatterstar.)
05-14-2013 06:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scarlet Thread Offline

RE: 3D Models Blog
looks good
05-14-2013 11:55 PM
Ozmodian Offline

Looks really good. I would love to see a tutorial how you do your models. I have such a hard time getting used to Blender and 3D modeling! I am working on a tutorial right now on rigging a fish but it it taking way longer than it should.
05-15-2013 12:59 AM
Shatterstar Offline

First, I want to say thanks for the kind words. lol the best way to learn it is watch a lot of YouTube. That's what I did years ago when I first learned.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2013 11:58 AM by Shatterstar.)
05-15-2013 11:57 AM
Dwight Offline

I suggest you contact the nice person from dexsoft and offer sales there, they are always at the lookout for posting new assets smile
05-15-2013 12:34 PM
Ozmodian Offline

Haha, I have already spent a lot of money on Dexsoft! :)it is pretty good stuff.
05-15-2013 02:33 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(05-15-2013 02:33 PM)Ozmodian Wrote:  Haha, I have already spent a lot of money on Dexsoft! :)it is pretty good stuff.
Me too, just wish they'd do more buildings with interiors!

But good luck Shatterstar, I'll be interested in seeing your completed models.
05-15-2013 05:20 PM
Shatterstar Offline

yeah...I've noticed how alot of sites do not have interiors to their models. I'm thinking about doing interiors and asking a little more for those that have it. So you would be able to buy it with or without interior. Dexsoft...I don't think so. I would be helping Dexsoft get a name for itself. I am going to get a bussness license, name the company...and make a brand name for myself. I'm really excited about it. Starting Tomorrow, I'll have the next 4 days off. I'm hoping to get this model and a few more of them finished!!! I'm also going to take in special projects. Sketch it, email it, and I'll give you a price quote. So, I'll make what you want for a good price. The only rule is, the sketch has to be in the Medieval, or renaissance genre. I'm glad I have everyone's best wishes. We have the best game engine community in the world smile
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2013 06:58 PM by Shatterstar.)
05-15-2013 06:53 PM
gwald Offline

Nice work!
I'll give you advice IMHO:
1. Start our venture as a hobbie to test the market.
Dont waste time & money on gov. formality without a test.

2. Make small, easy modells for free, to get traffic.
Provide LOD,interior,door animation etc for large ones.
Use good 3rd party sites that show your brand.
Research different online business models ie monthly subscriptions

3. Blender is not built for game asset creation.
I would recommend any low poly editor over blender ie fragmotion.
Research better asset tools/workflow, spend the money if it makes your work faster and/or easier and you can recuperate it back.
Not sure how efficient it is creating high res models.

You're a talented modeller, its hard work and very competitive!
Make it fun and enjoyable for yourself smile
All the best with it!

"The only rule is, the sketch has to be in the Medieval, or renaissance genre."
Why limit yourself and income potential?

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2013 09:28 PM by gwald.)
05-15-2013 09:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scarlet Thread Offline

There is absolutely nothing wrong with blender for making game assets. In fact it does it very well. I actually prefer it to other paid modelling software and that's not just because of the price. Blender is incredibly fast to work with if u know what u are doing. blender also has a lot of features that u would only use in games like normal baking for example... so I think that comment isn't really valid.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2013 03:36 AM by Scarlet Thread.)
05-16-2013 03:33 AM
Dwight Offline

(05-16-2013 03:33 AM)Scarlet Thread Wrote:  There is absolutely nothing wrong with blender for making game assets. In fact it does it very well. I actually prefer it to other paid modelling software and that's not just because of the price. Blender is incredibly fast to work with if u know what u are doing. blender also has a lot of features that u would only use in games like normal baking for example... so I think that comment isn't really valid.

I don't fully agree with this post again pfft

Some game engines allow for custom properties in the exported setting for example; I'm not sure if Blender allows for defined properties to be read by an engine.

I agree on the part that it is suitable for making game assets for a first release, nothing wrong with that. Again, a golden hammer will not strike a nail in wood without force either.

But over the years, you want to automate certain processes, improve on certain features, or even develop your own custom tools to use with your engine; This is where most of the products by Autodesk come in handy.

------ On topic line: ------

Those models look pretty good, but the price is high pfft
05-16-2013 11:16 AM
Shatterstar Offline

I've kept quiet for a little while...but I can't any longer. I want to join in on the subject. Just to make a game asset for a 3d modeling site, It doesn't matter which one you use. 3ds does offer saving your models in more formats. Blender saves in most formats that will work for most game engines. There are a few game engines that will only accept .Max files. But very few. Some companies will not hire you, unless you know how to use 3ds because that is their workflow. But which is better. they are both about equal. If you don't believe me, watch this movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HomAZcKm3Jo Both have plug-ins, blender is open source and is always expanded on. Sometimes more so than 3ds. but 3ds will always be the industry standard. Why? I don't know. I think it's kind of silly.
05-16-2013 12:33 PM
Tottel Offline

Dwight: Blender uses Python and allows you to add in anything you could possible imagine (and create).
I would even dare to say that Blender gives you more freedom over its tools than Autodesk's like Max or Maya.
05-16-2013 01:12 PM
Scarlet Thread Offline

I really don't care which is better. That's not my argument. I was just saying there is nothing wrong with blender for game assets. For some reason blender has some stigma with a lot of people and I don't understand it. I agree usually free stuff is crap but Blender has been my one great exception to this in my time as a game dev.

@Shatterstar - probably because it sounds unprofessional to be using free software in a big company. lol Also it's often what they teach in university.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2013 04:22 PM by Scarlet Thread.)
05-16-2013 04:21 PM
Shatterstar Offline

I agree Scarlet Thread....that's just the way the world works.
05-16-2013 04:25 PM