About Store Forum Documentation Contact

FPS
SamNainocard Offline

RE: FPS
Out of curious, do you have Viewport GUI?
Also make sure you didn't accidentally render or draw GUI twice, I once have these low FPS quite long time ago.
08-27-2013 07:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndrewBGS Offline

Yes, but without the player there is only one GUI active, and it never even gets updated. Disabling GUI completely doesn't even seem to improve my fps at all.
I did have that problem with updating gui twice, but now I can tell you it's not that.

Here's another thing that confuses me. Besides Skyrim working well and my game not.
In the editor I can look around my world with all those effects and shadow at 60 fps with no problem. In the application, it goes down to 40. With no shadows and minimalist code. Why??? (it goes down to 20 with characters and shadows)
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2013 08:49 AM by AndrewBGS.)
08-27-2013 08:31 AM
candam Offline

(08-27-2013 08:31 AM)AndrewBGS Wrote:  Yes, but without the player there is only one GUI active, and it never even gets updated. Disabling GUI completely doesn't even seem to improve my fps at all.
I did have that problem with updating gui twice, but now I can tell you it's not that.

Here's another thing that confuses me. Besides Skyrim working well and my game not.
In the editor I can look around my world with all those effects and shadow at 60 fps with no problem. In the application, it goes down to 40. With no shadows and minimalist code. Why??? (it goes down to 20 with characters and shadows)

I hope if I can test your world but that seems hard anyway I'm here thinking for a solution with ya I hope I could smile
08-27-2013 10:32 AM
Tottel Offline

Esenthel 1.0 or 2.0?
Ocean water or lake water? I'm temporarily using a big lake as ocean to see where the water goes (in 2.0) and it's draining my performance massively.
08-27-2013 10:33 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

EE 2.0, ocean (the one I don't see in editor - i applied a white material under the sea level to see it)
Turns out it's not just that. Without water at all (so... an area of ground with a couple of static objects on it) gets me some 52 fps. Which is just wrong, since the esenthel MMO does 60 all right... yeah I'll get that profiling and see what is it that I'm doing wrong.
Currently tinkering with D. options and environment options.
08-27-2013 10:37 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

With regard to the Skyrim engine's performance:

Don't forget the Creation engine was written specifically for the game and undoubtedly optimised to the nth degree to get every last bit of performance out of the game. It's not really a fair comparison to compare this with a generic game engine that has to fill a lot of differing roles.

In addition the graphics card drivers will have also had special mods/enhancements made to specifically improve the frame rate for games of this size and stature based on info passed between the companies regarding their game engine design and use of the GPU features.

The difference between the 'in Editor' performance and 'in Game' performance is harder to explain though. Guess you are still going to have to dig to find that one. Good luck, the answer must be there somewhere!
08-27-2013 12:53 PM
Rubeus Offline

Try this:
Create a new project. Import objects from your project 1 by 1 into the new test project. Leave out the code at first. Test it after every object imported. There's a possibility that one of the objects is causing the issue.
If you can run the test project with all the objects at a good framerate, start bringing your code over bit by bit.
It's time consuming, but I can pretty much guarantee that you won't make that significant of a difference with the display(D.) options.
Alternatively, you could get a profiler like pixel advised.
08-27-2013 03:58 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

That's a good idea I haven't tried yet Rubeus, I'll get testing that tomorrow.
Also thanks for explaining me a few things Pixel (still my comparison feels fair; Skyrim has tens of objects moving around in one frame, a view distance of some 5 real kilometers, here I'm staring at a flat patch of grass with 2 static objects and 200 meters view distance. I think I have the right to expect the same performance grin)
08-27-2013 04:45 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

lol ... yes you're right. There is something definitely wrong! Chances are you'll kick yourself when you find it wink
08-27-2013 05:18 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

So out of curiosity, can you people please tell me what's your FPS on Esenthel source codes?
I get
Bloody Massacre - 30
Esenthel RPG - 20
Esenthel MMO - 60

What do others of you get? (I'd like more replies if possible)
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2013 08:19 PM by AndrewBGS.)
08-27-2013 08:18 PM
Rubeus Offline

I don't remember what I got on BM, but my current project gets ~100 FPS on a ~2011 Macbook Pro(ugh). My current project has ~100 objects in view range. Approximately.
08-27-2013 08:25 PM
Ozmodian Offline

Yeah, for all of my projects and source, as long as I am not running screen capture software, my FPS i never below 60
08-27-2013 08:57 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

This does bring me a little comfort. I'd be happy to know it's my machine or even code to blame.
08-27-2013 09:09 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

On Bloody Massacre with all the default settings but with sync turned off I get the following:

1280 x 1024: ~200 fps
1920 x 1080: ~150 fps

On Esenthel RPG 2 with all the default settings I get the following:

1280 x 1024: 90+ fps
1920 x 1080: 70+ fps

that's with an i5 and a GEFORCE GTX460 1Gb DDR5
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2013 09:49 AM by Pixel Perfect.)
08-29-2013 08:37 PM