About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
327$/mo

Esenthel brand new Full Source Licensing
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: Esenthel brand new Full Source Licensing
(04-19-2014 03:13 PM)Rubeus Wrote:  
(04-19-2014 11:21 AM)knocks Wrote:  J wellington syndrome, developers are as much to blame as the consumer.

What does this mean? And what if the developers ARE the consumers? o.O

J wellington syndrome - from my understanding means basically ... receive or take something now, pay for it or deliver it later ... depending on the situation it's applied to.

(04-19-2014 02:03 PM)aceio76 Wrote:  ... So please be cognizant that while you can make statements that basically says "shut up and support EE because it costs less than what you would spend elsewhere in another hobby or vice", that isn't applicable to all and that there are real scenarios present that does warrant complaining and griping. And of course, there are those that have legitimate complaints but still support Greg and ee anyway smile

For the record ... I have never stated in any post that anyone's position, opinion or statements are irrelevant in any way or suggested people 'shut up' (thank you aceio76 for attempting to put words into my mouth wink)

I simply consider Esenthel good 'value for money' from my personal point of view. I see no point in commenting any further having made my opinion clear; preferring to concentrate my energy on my project development instead.
04-19-2014 04:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

(04-19-2014 03:33 PM)Dwight Wrote:  
(04-19-2014 11:21 AM)knocks Wrote:  J wellington syndrome, developers are as much to blame as the consumer.
This syndrome is from the town of Wellington [I hope he means this, it's quite a rude statement otherwise], in which people from Wellington dislike literally everything from Auckland.

Implication for the case at hand: Whatever Greg does, you lot won't be satisfied.

(04-19-2014 04:58 PM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  
J wellington syndrome - from my understanding means basically ... receive or take something now, pay for it or deliver it later ... depending on the situation it's applied to.

I'm going to write this down in my "Manly Notebook of Unreasonably Obscure References".
04-19-2014 05:22 PM
Dwight Offline

Just as a sidenote: During our discussions, Greg finished the following:
- 2 sets of Engine updates
- a small game release
04-19-2014 09:42 PM
knocks Offline

(04-19-2014 05:22 PM)Rubeus Wrote:  I'm going to write this down in my "Manly Notebook of Unreasonably Obscure References".

Pixel summed it up. It was a play on words based on the Popeye character J Wellington Wimpy.
04-20-2014 02:16 AM
Cranky Offline

by purchasing the full year subscription license(with source) is it possible to use the game engine in it's entirety and have access to it's source code in offline mode? offline mode is really handy in my current situation.
P.S, I just wanted a confirmation so that I'll know I didn't misread anything.
04-22-2014 10:25 PM
Marbasoft Offline

(04-22-2014 10:25 PM)Cranky Wrote:  by purchasing the full year subscription license(with source) is it possible to use the game engine in it's entirety and have access to it's source code in offline mode? offline mode is really handy in my current situation.

Yes you have access all the engine, and all the tools (editor, server etc etc)
As it's on github, you can work on sources in offline mode, you just have to open them in Visual Studio for example
04-22-2014 10:59 PM
Cranky Offline

(04-22-2014 10:59 PM)Marbasoft Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 10:25 PM)Cranky Wrote:  by purchasing the full year subscription license(with source) is it possible to use the game engine in it's entirety and have access to it's source code in offline mode? offline mode is really handy in my current situation.

As it's on github, you can work on sources in offline mode, you just have to open them in Visual Studio for example

thanks! I wasn't expecting a fast reply.. also, am I obliged to share the changes I've made on the source code to esenthel or anybody else?
04-22-2014 11:17 PM
candam Offline

(04-22-2014 11:17 PM)Cranky Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 10:59 PM)Marbasoft Wrote:  

thanks! I wasn't expecting a fast reply.. also, am I obliged to share the changes I've made on the source code to esenthel or anybody else?

I guess no because Esenthel is not an open source software .But remember in order to keep using the software you should subscribe every year smile
04-22-2014 11:55 PM
Rubeus Offline

You will have to compile and make the changes(to bypass the online verification) yourself. You do not have to share the changes.
04-23-2014 05:17 AM
yvanvds Offline
Silver Supporter

But of course you CAN share the changes in the protected part of the forum. It's good for extra karma :-)
04-23-2014 10:03 AM
Cranky Offline

okay thanks a bunch! I'll definitely consider sharing anything I deemed worthy. thanks for the answers guys!
04-23-2014 11:47 AM
Mardok Offline

Esenthel Wrote:Every single business out there is built around the fact of bringing constant income. You don't just get money from a customer once, and then say thanks, goodbye and forget them. This doesn't make sense, a good business is a constant relationship. Especially in an engine related business. Customers have constant expectations, for new elements, and this what the engine creator needs to provide. This is constant need->develop->get->need another->develop another->get another feature, and the subscription licensing system is almost perfect for that.

In my opinion the above quote explains all clearly and straight. Greg, i respect and understand your decision. You are not the humanitarian organization which doing things free for all. Your Engine can count for further cooperation with me and my money xD
04-27-2014 01:06 AM
Finstern Offline

Unsure about how the "what we paid before" work with "what we'll get with the yearly (or less) sub system".

So I understood that my v2.0 is still here if I don't want to subscribe.

Now if I subscribe, then stop subscribing at some point in the futur, what will I have left ?
Still owning my v2.0 with it's updates ?

I'm sorry to ask but all this fuzz make thing hard to understand, I'm afraid that I'm not loving too much the monthly subscribing stuff, but if it's the way you choose, then let's go this path .. I just hope that you will get enough customer willing to pay your subscription fee instead of paying to own definitively the right to use the software.
I'm just not too confident about it :s

Good luck.
04-27-2014 04:07 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

Same here; I'm sad to say I'm moving to another engine with my rpg game. I really am, but I just don't feel "safe" with E anymore :(. I might still use EE for small android games like misled balls, but for my rpg mmo-wanna-be I don't feel safe to stay here anymore. And I'm sorry about it, but I don't move to the subscription system and most of all I'm afraid Esenthel can plug the plug of EE 2.0 at any time with that "no support or waranty of any kind" part of the licence agreement.

I don't want to prove anything, and I'm really sorry to leave, but I still think this wasn't the best business move. (and I'm just saying a kind of goodbye, but I know others that left too because of the same reasons...). and most of all, I'd like to apologise to Pixel for never managing to put up that showcase grin.
04-27-2014 09:08 AM
rstralberg Offline

I must confess that as I'm busy with some other projects I haven't used Esenthel. However I'm supporting it anyway by a subscription as its a great engine well worth some support.
04-27-2014 10:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply