About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Importing and using textures
Craka_J Offline

Importing and using textures
I've been wasting hours on trying to figure this out. How do I import .gfx files to be used as tiles? What folder am I supposed to put them in? What do I do after that in the World Editor to use them?
01-12-2009 08:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Re: Importing and using textures
You need to create a Material in the Mesh Editor first (launch Mesh Editor tool, then drag & drop the textures onto the tool window, optionally edit the parameters, then save the material into "your data\mtrl" folder)

Then you can use the materials in the World Editor.

Let me know if you'll have more questions and I'll be glad to help you.
01-12-2009 12:14 PM
Craka_J Offline

When I drag and drop the .gfx texture file on the Mesh Editor window, it doesn't appear in the Mesh Editor window. Neither does the .PNG version when I tried that.
01-12-2009 02:56 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Sorry, I forgot to tell that you should select first the Material Mode (press '5' or use the menu) in the Mesh Editor, that's the place for editing materials.

You'll see everything there

hope that helps!
01-12-2009 02:58 PM
Craka_J Offline

Think it worked. Thanks a lot!

I kind of have a request. Could you create a program that converts model files (.max, .3ds, and all others) to .obj so they can be usable? I'm not a modeler, so I don't know if modeling programs allow the author to "Save As..." a .obj file. My developers already made a bunch of .max and .3ds files and I need them to be .obj in order for me to use them in the World Editor.
01-12-2009 05:00 PM
craksy Offline

most programs allow exporting as .obj
if not supported, theres definitly a plug-in somewhere, which enables it.
google is your friend smile
01-12-2009 05:58 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi, I'm glad that I've helped

Don't misunderstand one thing,

1) .obj is a Wavefront model format (like Craksy said most of the 3d software can export to such format)

but

2) .obj is also another format used in the Engine. which is only a object with its parameters (mesh, physical body, type, parameters and sub objects)

You can import easily .3ds and Wavefront .obj (1) into Mesh Editor (as a model, then save it into .mesh - engine mesh format)

Than you can in the World Editor, create .obj (2) files but not models (only objects and parameters)

So remember that there are two .obj formats.
01-12-2009 10:02 PM
Craka_J Offline

Thanks.

When I drag the .gfx texture file to the Mesh Editor window, is it supposed to show up in the window like in the converter? Because its not. No idea what to do. Sorry! Thought I had it before. Here's what I'm doing so you know exactly:

1. I open Mesh Editor.
  2. I separately open the folder where the texture is in.
  3. I click on the Mesh Editor and press "5". Then I go to "View" and change the camera to "Top" or "Front".
  4. I go back to the folder and drag the .gfx to the Mesh Editor window.
  5. Nothing happens, as far as I know.

~Craka_J
01-13-2009 02:01 AM
craksy Offline

i am not exactly sure what your trying to do...
aren't your models allready textured?
the mesh editor was not actually designed for mesh editing/texturing!
or... maybe it was, but imo. it serves better for rigging, and exporting files as .mesh.
thats mostly what i use it for anyway.
01-13-2009 02:24 AM
Craka_J Offline

Nevermind. I realized I was supposed to drop the file on the "ball" in "edit mesh" and that .gfx doesn't work; just .png

Next few questions:
  • How do I move the camera around the map? (And I don't meant the Mouse 3 button move)
  • Are characters and static models both supposed to be .obj format or are characters something else?
  • Is it permitted to use pre-made Esenthel animations for our own custom characters in our own games, even if we sell the game for profit in the future commercially?
  • .gfx is textures for models and .mtrl is for terrain, or is .mtrl for everything?
  • I have a tree model that is fully textured, but the leaves on the tree are supposed to follow the player's view, if you understand what I mean. How do I enable this for the tree?
  • Can we use custom brushes for placing tiles?[/list:u]
01-13-2009 02:51 AM
craksy Offline

1. hold down space, and move the mouse.

2. characters, will mostly be seperated .mesh .skel. and .anim files.

3. i guess so, as long as you buy a license!

4. mtrl is short for material! that means that it can contain information like shading, ambient color, and much more, where .gfx is just a plain image file.

5. i think it would be easier, to use the dynamicly created trees in Esenthel! or you could just apply the leafs to your own tree model i think :/ i am not sure

hope it helped wink
01-13-2009 03:08 AM
Craka_J Offline

My game has a cartoony style and the trees we made fit the style we're going for. I will proudly provide screenshots when there's enough game content to brag about. So... how would I get those leaves to work, Esenthel developer(s)!
01-13-2009 03:21 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

3) yes you can use the animations for free

5) about the tree leafs, something like that isn't currently supported, if you wish to add this feature please post it in the "suggestions and wish list"

6) could you give an example what do you mean exactly?

thanks!
01-13-2009 12:36 PM
Craka_J Offline

Custom brushes other than "Circle" and "Square" for painting the tiles in the World Editor. There's all kinds of custom brushes that can be made. A small but basic example is "Triangle" or "Trapezoid."
01-13-2009 02:42 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

ill add it to the list
01-13-2009 09:16 PM