About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Engine Questions (Camera & Grass)
Brainache Offline

Engine Questions (Camera & Grass)
Hey there,

I have a few questions regarding the egnine:

A) Can the grass be altered via texture or mesh? ie: create scrubby looking grass, or flowers, etc... If so, can you please point me towards an example?

B) Can you point me in the right direction for creating a 3rd person / 1st person camera ( perhaps adding this to the word w/ character exampel )

C) Is the source code to the Esenthel game available? ( this would be an excellent example code for the engine)

D) If there is documentation on any of these features that I have missed, can you point me towards that documentation?

The engine has definetly got my attention!

Thanks
12-03-2008 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Re: Engine Questions (Camera & Grass)
Hi,

1) Grass Mesh and Texture is stored in EsenthelEngineSDK\data\Grass\0 if you wish you can modify this element freely,
World Editor for the moment supports only one type of grass (that's the one in data\Grass\0), which means you can modify it, but can't use 2 versions simultaneously, I've added to my todo list, to add automatic support for multiple types of grass.
Single flowers, which don't repeat too often can be placed as static objects.

2) 3rd person camera is I believe described in the "Game Basics" tutorials, as well as isometric camera,
As for the 1st person camera, you would need to access Skeleton Point named "Head" of the character (accessing Skeleton Points is described in Animation\Skeleton Points tutorial), and having the position and direction of head, you can call Camera::setPosDir(..)

3) No, sorry, source codes aren't available.

Please let me know if you need more help,

Thanks,
Grzegorz
12-03-2008 05:08 PM
Brainache Offline

Re: Engine Questions
Thank you for the quick responses - they have helped me make good progress in learning the engine.
Looking forward to having the ability to have multiple grass objects as well - that will add alot of diversity to the landscapes.

I have a couple new questions for you, if you dont mind:

A) How can I get the mesh of the terrain from the Game::World object?
( For example: to use with the PosPointMeshY function)

B) What type of scenegraph is the engine using and can it be queried for objects?
For example: If I populate the game world with 1000 objects, can I query the engine to return objects within a radius of a point? ( instead of having to go through a list and checking each of the 1000 objects for distance )

Thanks!
12-03-2008 09:08 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello,

1) For ingame detection, please use Physics.ray(..) function, it's much faster. Usage of this function is described in tutorials "physics\testing" and "physics\detecting objects under mouse cursor"

2) Objects are stored in a custom container something like a QuadTree but much different,
I'll create a function for you to return pointers to objects at a given radius.
12-03-2008 09:49 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

In the latest version of the Engine I've added the function that you've requested for getting objects

World.objQuery(..);
12-05-2008 12:30 AM
Brainache Offline

Excellent! Thanks!
12-05-2008 03:09 AM
cesarwills Offline

Hi, I am trying to use objQuery but I am havin trouble could you please post some examples thanks...

I am trying to create boom explosions and destroy objects near, exp_actor is ball actor created a bomb.explote()
if (exp_actor.cuts(IndexToFlag(30)))
{
Memb<cuadrante> &pp;
Game::World.objQuery(pp,Box(range,Vec(T.x,T.z,T.y)),-1);
for(int i=0;i<pp.elms();i++){
pp[i].destroy();
}

}

Thanks
05-27-2009 12:07 AM
Esenthel Offline