About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Tutorials and some general questions
Kasey Offline

Tutorials and some general questions
On one of the pages it says there are 80 tutorials. Perhaps if I were to read through those it would answer many of my questions. Where are the tutorials?

What is the licensing?
What about making a game to sell on the internet?
Do you need a compiler or is there an onboard compiler that you can use?
I see no pricing listed for the usage of this engine? Is it like Garage Game Torques?
07-16-2008 12:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
alfabeta90 Offline

Re: Tutorials and some general questions
Some of the tutorials are in the Tutorials directory in the engine package. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://esenthel.com/en/engine_download.html">http://esenthel.com/en/engine_download.html</a><!-- m -->
You can use the engine for free for non commercial use. When you want to use the engine for commercial use then you must pay 999$ at this moment. The engine is compatible with free Visual C++ Studio 2008 ide. It already contains a compiler so you need only to install the directx sdk and platform sdk when they are not installed yet.

Kacper
07-16-2008 12:49 AM
Kasey Offline

general
I like the new pricing for indies and the lower price put this engine in the running for a decision on which one to go with. It is about the same price now as the one I am seriously considering.

I am hoping that there will be some templates to work with as a starting point. I would have to find someone to do the programming end of it. How would we be able to walk around the level to see how it looks in game? Maybe a simple first and third person perspective walk script and an activation key to open doors and trigger events. Optimal would be a basic shooter script as shooters are not that difficult. The AI complexity would be up to us.

I LOVE the looks of the terrain. This engine looks great for terrains. The shaders are very good too.

I am testing out two other game engines but am going to keep an eye on this one.

Pluses for Esenthel
1 - Looks like a next gen engine. Many indie engines lack shaders and look like indie.
2 - World Editor!!!
3 - Plenty of tutorials to get you started. Many engines lack this and you spend a lot of time trying to figure things out instead of actually getting any work done. See number 4 below.
4 - Looks like it has a decent terrain editor and importing terrain can be difficult. I have spent weeks with the engine I am using now to get my terrain to come out right.

Negatives for Esenthel
1 - Not any templates for non programmers. I thought I saw where this was in the future?
07-18-2008 12:56 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Thanks for your opinion!

The easiest way to test a world from World Editor, is to modify the tutorial "game basics/world with character"
and change the line
Wrld.crt("wrld/sample","temp" ) // create the world
to
Wrld.crt("wrld/your world","temp" ) // create the world (where 'your world' is the name of your world wink ) and remember to select "Build" option in the World Editor before testing

Ready templates for doors is next on my task list, so they're gonna be soon

Other templates for non programmers, will also be in the future.
07-18-2008 07:03 PM
flim Offline

How to get start to use the World Editor?
08-05-2008 02:34 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

you can just place a heightmap on the viewport with Insert key,
then you can play with transforming the surface with Heightmap brush, then change Materials with Material Brush, for more help please ask or check the Documentations first.
08-10-2008 03:46 PM