About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Stupid question, just a thought though
Sarora Offline

Stupid question, just a thought though
Hiya Esenthel.

I got a question about the engine itself, is it possible to get a DLL version (not lib) of the library to import into a C# application (pinvoke / or similar thing) ?

It would be alot faster to create things like tools (editors ect) and such in C#, but i cant get it to work with a library alone.

Im unsure if this is possible with EE, as i dont know what you programmed it in excatly.

Just a thought smile would save me tons of time to make my tools in C# smile

PS: I have worked with c++ dll's in C# before, using pinvoke, its alot of work to begin with to create the .cs implementation, but it works.

Sys: Intel Quad @3.4 Ghz, ATI HD 5770 OC Ed (pri), NVIDIA 8800 Ultra (PhysX), 4 Gig Ram, 3.8 TB total HDD.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2009 12:09 PM by Sarora.)
10-23-2009 12:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
craksy Offline

RE: Stupid question, just a thought though
well the engine was made in C++, and (as far as i know) can only be used with C++....
i don't know what pinvoke is though, but i don't think it's possible :/
and exactly why would it be easier to create tools in C#?
10-23-2009 12:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarora Offline

(10-23-2009 12:35 PM)craksy Wrote:  well the engine was made in C++, and (as far as i know) can only be used with C++....
i don't know what pinvoke is though, but i don't think it's possible :/
and exactly why would it be easier to create tools in C#?

One engine that uses this is (excample) Leadwerks Engine 2, wich has a c/c++ dll and using pinvoke inside a .cs file to be used by C#.

So, it is possible if i had a dll and time.

While, it inself its alot of work to make a .cs invoke file for Esenthel, creating tools in C# is alot faster simply because, well, it is.

Im not gonna respond to why, if you dont know, it okay, im not gonna start a C# vs C++ discussion, it was not the question smile.

Also, there is a reason why big company's make tools in C# now, like patchers and more (though not engine related, as alot of work to make a engine dll's work with C# and all AAA engines are made in C++, so tons of work).

Anyways, just a question, as it would speed up me working on a editor if i could do it in C#.
Another excample that c++ in C# is possible

http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/MOGRE

Sys: Intel Quad @3.4 Ghz, ATI HD 5770 OC Ed (pri), NVIDIA 8800 Ultra (PhysX), 4 Gig Ram, 3.8 TB total HDD.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2009 01:29 PM by Sarora.)
10-23-2009 12:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarora Offline

I would like to point out, that i do not wish Esenthel to actually implement it, just supply the dll version of the engine, if possible ofc smile

10-23-2009 02:28 PM
craksy Offline

no C# vs C++ discussion wanted from me either pfft
i was just curious as i have never really worked with C# smile

and you don't need to prove it to me... tell me that i was wrong and i will believe you pfft
i don't know much about it, and i never heard about it before, so i just thought it sounded unlikely

anyway, i hope you'll get help with your question smile
10-23-2009 03:25 PM
Sarora Offline

(10-23-2009 03:25 PM)craksy Wrote:  no C# vs C++ discussion wanted from me either pfft
i was just curious as i have never really worked with C# smile

and you don't need to prove it to me... tell me that i was wrong and i will believe you pfft
i don't know much about it, and i never heard about it before, so i just thought it sounded unlikely

anyway, i hope you'll get help with your question smile

Hehe, so do i, i guess its a tuff question smile

I've been in like 1000 c++ vs C# discussions, so i was just like "oh noes, not again" pfft

Well, the discussions usually are "c++ vs c# in 3d engine render time, memory consumption ect", not so much in tools, as its quite easy to say its the fastest 99% of the time atleast, C# has excellent garbage collector, and its just extremly fast to make UI's in it, and not to mention its way faster to debug and so on.

I can, ofcourse only compare that to what others say (generally), and my own experience with c++ and c# smile

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2009 03:35 PM by Sarora.)
10-23-2009 03:33 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi, sorry for late answer, please don't count on EE DLL anytime soon, it will require too much trouble.
For Custom editors I advise to use integrated GUI (Gui Editor can become in-handy, however I always prefer to setup the gui objects in the codes)
10-27-2009 12:37 AM