About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Wreckage
Dudeman95 Offline

Wreckage
Hello guys Dudeman95 here. I am currently looking for people who have a great handle on the Esenthel Game Engine. I was thinking about buying it, but I need another 50 bucks before I can get the hobbyist version. Okay so here's the dealio. I am only 14 so I wouldn't know how to pay you guys for your jobs. If however you want pay I will find a way to maybe give you some. Okay well at the moment I'm currently making a game with the Blender Game Engine. Truth is the blender game engine isn't all that great. I'm deciding to get some people recruited so I can save the time of doing this when it comes time for this project. Also one last question before I give you a summary of my project. Is Esenthel better than Leadwerks? Please be honest. I am a newbie when it comes to game engines. Okay now time for the game summary. Well what Wreckage is it's a fps/tps (yes you will hopefully be able to switch camera views in mid game so you can get the best of both worlds like hannah montana lol) dinosaur shooting game. Now I am a dinosaur lover and when I see games like Turok get bad review scores I think to myself well what if I could make a dinosaur game that would reach out to the gamers? Well this is where my inspiration comes from. Giving dinosaur games a great name. I got some of the story written on my computer. This game in a way is basically Turok meets Gear of War, but hopefully it will have its own little flare to it. If you are interested in joining please email me at bailey95@mchsi.com. Also does the Esenthel game engine support models made in Blender 3D?
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2009 06:32 AM by Dudeman95.)
10-25-2009 06:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: Wreckage
Your text would be more fun to read if you'd divide it into paragraphs..

The game sounds like a good idea.
If I were you, I'd go for the free version of the esenthel engine for now. it provides all the features you need to start with your game. If it works out, go buy it.

As for your question: Yes, you can import models into the engine from Blender (http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...5#pid10385)

Good luck with your game!
10-25-2009 10:58 PM
Mikesanimation Offline

Quote:Is Esenthel better than Leadwerks? Please be honest. I am a newbie when it comes to game engines.

If you are a newbie when it comes to game engines, you will probably find Leadwerks much easier to use. Esenthel isn't the most noob friendly, and it can be rather harsh to learn how to use it if you have no background C++ programming knowledge. However, Esenthel is more powerful than Leadwerks, imo, and I would recommend it.

The starter license is free, so if you're curious you might as well give it a try...
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2009 05:37 AM by Mikesanimation.)
10-26-2009 05:37 AM
Sarora Offline

IF i had no c++ experience, i would probably go with Unity3D to make my games.

Leadwerks engine is really not that good, and the "creator" is a jerk tbh when it comes to who he likes or not, i do NOT recommend it at all.

But sounds like a decent game idea, would be interesting to see more, but im working on my own project right now, and that takes most my time.

Sys: Intel Quad @3.4 Ghz, ATI HD 5770 OC Ed (pri), NVIDIA 8800 Ultra (PhysX), 4 Gig Ram, 3.8 TB total HDD.
10-26-2009 12:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dudeman95 Offline

Well I'm glad this thread has caught your sight. I have no C++ programming knowledge, but I currently recruited someone who has an Esenthel Game license and know C++. Don't get all excited about this project yet. We still have to finish our other game Dark Fields.
10-26-2009 11:01 PM
Dudeman95 Offline

Okay I've had this summary made for a while now, so please tell me what you think. This will be the opening cinematic for the game.

The Sahara Desert, July 17, 2025

(Narrator's voice)War is what fuels our blood….War is the life blood of all human beings. Unfortunately war can go completely out of hand. Feewm! Feerwm! (Bullets passing over soldiers' heads) Watch out! We need to fall back! Keep firing! Ah shit! Man down! I repeat man down! General Knixson we need to fall back! Hold your fire! General…! Silence private! But sir…! Wait till I give the orders! Boom! Boom! Ah!!! Private! Tell my family sir… I love… Private! Private! Dammit! Fall back!!! I repeat fall back!!! General! General! They’re bringing out the Sky Lance! Oh shit! Move! Move! Move! Sir what are we going to do about all the other men on the battlefield? Private… you can’t save all of the people all of the time. Shreeeeeek!!! They’re firing it!!! The Sky Lance shoots its 5 torpedoes. The torpedoes then break into millions and millions of shards of molten copper. My God sir! It looks like the gate ways of Hell. Let’s go private.

Headquarters, Chicago, Illinois, August 3, 2025

“We lost too many soldiers on operation Steel Rain” said President Xavier. “Mr. President, I know that Steel Rain didn’t go as planned but…” “Didn’t go as planned! Didn’t go as planned! Thousands of our soldiers died on that operation, and all you’ve got to say it didn’t go as planned?!” “Sir if you would just let me speak” said, General Knixson. “The floor is yours general.” “Now I know that we lost a lot of people on that operation. There was no possible way that we would’ve pulled back in time. I’m sorry that we lost so many comrades sir.” “Thank you general. You may sit down now.” “Thank you sir.” “Well ladies and gentleman of the board. I’m out of options. It would be a great help if anyone else found another way to win this war.” “Uh excuse me sir…” “State you name doctor.” says the President. “Doctor Adam Croffered at your service sir.” “You were saying Doctor Croffered.” “Oh yes. Well it might be a long shot, but…” Come! Out with it doctor. We don’t have all day!” “Okay, sorry sir. I was going to suggest that since we don’t have enough time to make a weapon to counteract the Sky Lance. I think our best bet would be to recreate the most monstrous beings that have ever walked this earth.” “What are you suggesting doctor?” “What I’m suggesting sir is why not try and recreate dinosaurs?” “That’s outrageous!” says one of the boardroom members. “Silence all of you!” says President Xavier. “How do you propose we recreate these dinosaurs doctor?” “Well we have been constructing a substance that will fix all of the missing gapes in DNA of the dinosaurs. We still have to perfect it sir. These dinosaurs won’t look like there natural counterparts. They will be stronger, faster, and more agile than the regular dinosaurs of 65 million years ago.” “So you think we have a shot at this Dr. Croffered?” “I think it might be our only chance sir.” “Fine then I now pronounce this mission… Operation WRECKAGE!”
10-27-2009 03:50 AM
Tottel Offline

Eh well.. The first part seems quite cliché..

And the second, well.. Why would you recreate dinosaurs to fight your opponent? grin
10-27-2009 04:41 PM
Dudeman95 Offline

(10-27-2009 04:41 PM)Tottel Wrote:  Eh well.. The first part seems quite cliché..

And the second, well.. Why would you recreate dinosaurs to fight your opponent? grin

How does the first part seem cliche? Also they recreate dinosaurs because they didn't have enough time to make a weapon strong enough to win the war.
10-27-2009 11:27 PM
Tottel Offline

Well, honestly: A soldier yelling we're all going to die while in the battle, tell my family I love them (come on..),the choice between duty and the lives of friendly soldiers, something terrible happens and they all die, and so on.
And further more, since when do soldiers speak directly to a general when fighting?

About the second part.. They don't have the time to create a weapon; ok, I can live with that. But doesn't it take a lot of time to recreate dinosaurs? Besides, these are the modern times, we just blast dinosaurs back to where they came from.
10-27-2009 11:35 PM
Dudeman95 Offline

(10-27-2009 11:35 PM)Tottel Wrote:  Well, honestly: A soldier yelling we're all going to die while in the battle, tell my family I love them (come on..),the choice between duty and the lives of friendly soldiers, something terrible happens and they all die, and so on.
And further more, since when do soldiers speak directly to a general when fighting?

About the second part.. They don't have the time to create a weapon; ok, I can live with that. But doesn't it take a lot of time to recreate dinosaurs? Besides, these are the modern times, we just blast dinosaurs back to where they came from.
Okay so what do you think the intro cinematic needs to be more epic then? I would have to disagree on everything you've said except the soldier saying tell my family I love them. I'm trying to reach the public so I guess I can take some suggestions from people who are interested in the game.
10-28-2009 12:06 AM
Dealman Offline

(10-25-2009 10:58 PM)Tottel Wrote:  Your text would be more fun to read if you'd divide it into paragraphs..

Correction; Not fun. Easier and more reader-friendly.

@Dudeman95: I'll have to agree with Tottel about your Opening Cinematic. There is just to much of the old crap, like Tottel mentioned the typicall "Tell my family... that I loved them..." is getting old and boring.

And while on the Battlefield, in realism, Soldiers do not communicate with the General.

The story about recreating Dinousars, it's nothing wrong with. Just a bit odd, which is good of you wanna get noticed out there.

Esenthel is a good Engine for pretty much everything, but as others said, it's not Newbie-friendly. For such a project, I would actually recommend CryEngine 2. I've been working with that since the Sandbox was released.

It can do pretty much anything you please, and it sure is relativley newbie-friendly for being so cutting edge.

Anyhow I'd say; Work a bit more on the Concept(Story in this case, or the opening.) also make some Concept Art, so you have something to show before you actually try to 'recruit' members.

When you write the Story or plot for an Opening Cinematic, be creative. Use as good Grammar as you can and use paragraphs and punctations.

Also when there are communication going on do something like;
- "Sir, Delta Squad is getting attacked from their Left Flank! And they're heavily outnumbered!" said Pvt. Dirtbag.

and for 'Special Effects' put them inside some prefixs, like *boom* or whatnot.

Just to make it more reader-friendly.

Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck out there!
11-03-2009 01:25 AM
Mikesanimation Offline

(11-03-2009 01:25 AM)Dealman Wrote:  For such a project, I would actually recommend CryEngine 2. I've been working with that since the Sandbox was released.

Err CryEngine 2 is a bit on the expensive side, is it not? I would have to imagine it costing upwards of a few hundred thousand dollars, seeing as it has features that are just as good (and in most cases better) than Unreal Engine 3... which is like at least $300,000.

Is there some sort of learning edition available?

Oh, and just for the record, Dudeman95, I am in just about complete agreement with everything that has been said about your story/post(s). It could use some work pfft
11-04-2009 06:55 AM
Dealman Offline

(11-04-2009 06:55 AM)Mikesanimation Wrote:  
(11-03-2009 01:25 AM)Dealman Wrote:  For such a project, I would actually recommend CryEngine 2. I've been working with that since the Sandbox was released.

Err CryEngine 2 is a bit on the expensive side, is it not? I would have to imagine it costing upwards of a few hundred thousand dollars, seeing as it has features that are just as good (and in most cases better) than Unreal Engine 3... which is like at least $300,000.

Is there some sort of learning edition available?

Oh, and just for the record, Dudeman95, I am in just about complete agreement with everything that has been said about your story/post(s). It could use some work pfft

If you would like to License it, I guess, yeah. But it's a great Engine to learn how the up-to-date Technology works.

However, you're free to design games and release it. But not to make profit out of it. I would still recommend the CryEngine 2.
11-04-2009 01:01 PM
Dudeman95 Offline

Well the general is actually on the battlefield with them.grin Thanks for the advise guys. I kind of would want to make a profit out of this so maybe crystal space+orge3d+blender is what I need. I just need a game engine that has most of the up-to-date stuff like Esenthel does.
11-05-2009 11:11 PM
Dealman Offline

(11-05-2009 11:11 PM)Dudeman95 Wrote:  Well the general is actually on the battlefield with them.grin Thanks for the advise guys. I kind of would want to make a profit out of this so maybe crystal space+orge3d+blender is what I need. I just need a game engine that has most of the up-to-date stuff like Esenthel does.

If it's your very first project , I highly doubt you'd make profit of it.

I've been working with Game Development for roughly 6 years now. (Not with Programming though.)

I've made and been part of several mods and Indie Games. None have made any Profit. Making a Game or even just a Modification takes a lot of time, and you'll need hell of a lot of Experience with Game Development, in your case, especially as a Producer. Which isn't the easiest one out there.

You can't just think; "Hey! I'll create a game and make profit out of it!".

But as always; you should never say never. Runescape, for example started out as just a Project for a few Students. Which now is one of the biggest MMORPGs out there.

Before you start dreaming like this, I suggest you get more Experience, spend much more time on Story and first of all, write a Concept to make other Artists interested, otherwise you'll never get any Members to help you.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2009 06:13 PM by Dealman.)
11-06-2009 06:12 PM