About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Pathfinding in generated world
Myx Offline

Pathfinding in generated world
Hello again!

So since last time ( <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.esenthel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1620">viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1620</a><!-- l --> ) things have been going fairly well. I've coded a bit and that issue is now resolved.

To make sure that all of my generated rooms are connected and accessible I thought I'd use the pathfinding of Esenthel.

The idea was that I'd place the start-point of the pathfinding in the middle of my first room and then place the end point in Room[i]'s middle. If I get a path it's accessible, otherwise it's not. If it's not accessible I'd simply let that room randomize a new door and check accessibility again.

I have however encounterd a problem. I can't get pathfinding to work in a generated environment.

So my question:
Does Esenthel pathfinding only work if the world have been built in the world-editor?
If not, how would I go about to use it in my generated little world?

// Myx
09-05-2009 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Re: Pathfinding in generated world
1. you can save the whole level to a Mesh, and then import the mesh into the World Editor as static object "embed into terrain" access mode, and set pathfinding there

or

2. use PathFind class, manually set the 2D map, and manually control the character input or actions to move according to the discovered path
09-05-2009 12:11 PM
Myx Offline

Esenthel Wrote:1. you can save the whole level to a Mesh, and then import the mesh into the World Editor as static object "embed into terrain" access mode, and set pathfinding there

or

2. use PathFind class, manually set the 2D map, and manually control the character input or actions to move according to the discovered path

Hmm. Could you describe how to do these two things? I'm not very familiar with the World Editor or the PathFind class yet.

(Also: 4 minutes to respond? That have to be a new record.)
09-05-2009 12:29 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

please check some video tutorials located on the main website "tools\world editor"
when you have a mesh then you just place an object in the world, and select its mesh in the object properties

for PathFind class there is a tutorial about it, please find it in the SDK
09-05-2009 01:20 PM
jamessimpler Offline

RE: Pathfinding in generated world
Sorry if the question sound stupid but how do we use the pathfinder on the MMO side? I mean any guideline on how we could use this?
02-28-2011 06:43 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

you can use PathFind manually, but integrated path find on mmo server will be in the future.

but the esenthel mmo works by calculating paths on client side.
03-01-2011 02:51 AM
dylantan Offline

(03-01-2011 02:51 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  you can use PathFind manually, but integrated path find on mmo server will be in the future.

but the esenthel mmo works by calculating paths on client side.

So you mean that we can add the pathfind to the MMO side but have to be manual? Sorry for my bad english
03-01-2011 05:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply