About Store Forum Documentation Contact

My Questions
Masterxilo Offline

RE: Hi & some questions
Quote:but you can also check InstancedRenderer class
Cool, when drawing with that, I get about twice as many fps.
Does the built-in world handling code also use this to draw like objects?
The rendering quality of Esenthel Engine is really astounding:
[Image: massphysicsandaoinesent.th.jpg]
(Btw., I think, at least for that scene, AMB_LOW looks best, but maybe I didn't play enough with the AM_HIGH effect's settings. However I was able to edit them to look like
AMB_LOW by tweaking ambScale and ambRange. But why should I use something more resource hungry to get the same effect?)
EDIT: Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fmRreMBVTE

System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Q6600 2.4 GHZ, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 260 GTX 896 MB DDR3

Visit my site: hurricane-eye.webs.com
And read my blog: hurricane-eyeent.blogspot.com
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2009 09:45 PM by Masterxilo.)
12-18-2009 09:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Does the built-in world handling code also use this to draw like objects?
not yet, but it will soon for const objects
12-18-2009 09:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Masterxilo Offline

• How to draw a non filled D.rect, D.circle (without programming it and drawing it with lines)?
  • The documentation says (Resources>Meshes) "MeshBase can contain": Vertexes - ..., Material Blends, ..., Size
    What are those two things?
  • How similar do skeletons using the same animations have to be?
    Do they just have to have the same amount of bones, named the same way?
    Or do they have to match perfectly?
  • Do you recommend copying over all the tools (at least the world editor) to any project?
    Because it looks to me like it operates on the local folder structure (for example, it
    looks for "data/enum/*.enum" to get/create the object parameter type enums...
  • Is there some sort of abstract files system, where I can just say "load "oildrum.mesh"" and it'll find it wherever it is
    (wheter in a pak file or in some sub-folder...)
  • I want the text to be always 15 pixels in size, no matter what resolution. For this I call
    Code:
    Text_ds.scale = D.pixelToScreenSize(VecI2(15,15));
    once per Update. But this seems inefficient to me (most times, it won't change anything).
    How do you determine if the window size has changed since the last update? Do I have to do this myself?
  • How do you set the cursor position (Ms.pos= ... doesn't seem to work)?

System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Q6600 2.4 GHZ, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 260 GTX 896 MB DDR3

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2009 01:29 AM by Masterxilo.)
12-19-2009 01:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Masterxilo Offline

• Can meshes be created completely trough code (not only csg, but everything possible by just specifying triangles)?
  • How to load .phys files and create actors from these?

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2009 12:49 PM by Masterxilo.)
12-19-2009 08:20 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

1. D.rectL or rect.draw(.., false)
2. members needed for some effects
3. same names, and similar orientation/size (it doesn't need to be perfectly the same)
4. no, you don't need to copy the tools, they operate on the data path you give at program tool start (it saves it in path.txt)
5. there is file system but it doesn't work on a basis, of just "filename", relative path must be specified
6. I guess D.screen_changed or something like that
7. its not currently supported
8. actor.create(*Physs("phys"),..
12-20-2009 02:50 AM
Masterxilo Offline

Thanks for these. I crossed out the wrong question above, the one still open is
Quote:Can meshes be created completely trough code (not only csg, but everything possible by just specifying triangles)?

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2009 12:49 PM by Masterxilo.)
12-20-2009 12:49 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

yes,
you need to use MeshBase::create(vtxs,edges,tris,quads, flag)
specify flag for required elements, and then just setup the vertexes/triangles
12-20-2009 07:04 PM
Masterxilo Offline

• How are ragdolls created (I mean, all the phys-bodies and their assignment to the bones of the meshes and the joints and the joint rotation/angle limits and stuff)?

12-22-2009 11:26 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

ragdoll is a few actors (1 for each bone separately) joined together with joints
but I suggest using Ragdoll class than custom ragdolls, because the class is integrated with animation skeletons
12-22-2009 11:32 PM
Masterxilo Offline

Can it create ragdolls (actors & joints) just from skeletons? How does it determine the joint limits then?

12-23-2009 03:19 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

yes, Ragdoll class does that
but you can do it yourself if you want, joint limits in the Ragdoll class are set using auto-detection
12-23-2009 07:07 PM
Masterxilo Offline

OK

Now, something else, about decals:
It looks like they are somehow projected onto meshes. But how can one make sure that some meshes (for example the character mesh) won't have a decal painted on it
when walking over the terrain someplace where I've placed a decal?
Because, right now, if I place a decal in the editor and add a wall to the scene and put it where that decal is, it'll also have that projected onto it.

How to avoid this for certain meshes?

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2009 12:48 AM by Masterxilo.)
12-24-2009 12:46 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

if you enable Decal::terain_only then it will affect only terrain and const/embedded objects
MeshOverlay is applied per mesh

Decals and MeshOverlays set in World Editor always affect only terrain and const/embedded objects
12-24-2009 12:49 AM
Masterxilo Offline

ah, that's the trick

12-24-2009 02:17 AM
Masterxilo Offline

• How many bone weights per vertex are supported? Is skinning done on the GPU?
  • Where are the default character animation paths set up? Because it looks like character loading just works and gives you all default animations.

12-25-2009 11:50 PM