3. no
4. shift key
5. disable FPP, zoom out, enable FPP
01-26-2010 09:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Masterxilo Offline

RE: My Questions
ty
  • What is Window::test used for? The comment says "test if object is under mouse cursor", but it returns void...
  • Can't I use semi transparent (alpha between 0-1) images as hardware cursors?
  • Why does Region only have scrollY functions? What about scrollX???
  • What are the advantages of buying a license except for getting some source code, being able to write my own shaders and sell one product?
  • How do I create a correctly lighted material from just a normalmap and a diffuse map (without a corresponding heightmap/bumpmap)? If I drop these two images:
    [Image: diffuse.th.jpg][Image: normalt.th.jpg]
    I get this material:
    [Image: resultingmaterial.th.jpg]

System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Q6600 2.4 GHZ, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 260 GTX 896 MB DDR3

Visit my site: hurricane-eye.webs.com
And read my blog: hurricane-eyeent.blogspot.com
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2010 10:44 PM by Masterxilo.)
01-27-2010 09:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

1.test is used internally to adjust for example Gui.ms
you shouldn't really use it

2. hardware cursors do not support smooth transparencies (its Windows/DirectX limitation, not EE)

3. ill add those methods in the next release, in meantime please base on these codes:
Region& Region::scrollY (Flt delta ){slidebar[1].scroll (delta ); return T;}
Region& Region::scrollToY (Flt pos ,Bool now){slidebar[1].scrollTo (pos ,now); return T;}
Region& Region::scrollFitY(Flt min,Flt max,Bool now){slidebar[1].scrollFit(min,max,now); return T;}

scrollX would use slidebar[0]

4. I get some money grin just kidding wink the ones that you mentioned are the main reasons

5. I'm checking this (Tube + Box shapes work ok, only Ball seems to have some problems)
but it works ok on real models (for example human mesh in the SDK has maps created from normal map only, no bump map was used)
I'll check why Ball preview displays incorrect results.
01-28-2010 06:35 PM
Masterxilo Offline

1.: OK
2.: That's not true, even the default cursor has transparent parts.
This zip package
.zip  aero_arrow.zip (Size: 1.66 KB / Downloads: 3)
contains the default windows vista cursor (open it in Sib Icon Editor for example to look at it), a png version of it (notice that the "black/blue border" around the white part of the cursor is actually semi-transparent) and a gfx version (I used A8R8G8B8 type for conversion...).
But if I set that cursor as a hardware cursor in EE, the transparent parts just disappear (transparency works when windows sets that cursor, otherwise it would always look wrong like that):

^^ drawing the image normally works of course.

I hope you can somehow get that to work in EE too.
3.: Thanks for that.
4.: xD. OK. I also heard about higher support and especially feature request priority for licensees, is that true?
5.: OK

System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Q6600 2.4 GHZ, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 260 GTX 896 MB DDR3

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2010 07:25 PM by Masterxilo.)
01-28-2010 07:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

2. - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...S.85).aspx
Quote:The alpha channel must be either 0.0 or 1.0.
4. support - yes, however currently I'm managing to provide support even for non-paying customers
feature requests - this improves priority only slightly, most priority have clients with professional license.
01-28-2010 07:31 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

the ball preview is working fine, its just that your normal map has its surface aligned to one direction, and each side of the ball is pointing in different direction and with different mapping orientation, thats why what is see is what you see.
just dont worry about it.
01-28-2010 07:50 PM
Masterxilo Offline

That's really strange. Why doesn't directx allow transparent cursors when the os does? And I'm quite sure I've already seen custom cursors using transparency in games...

Quote:just dont worry about it.
The lighting of that material (created from that diffuse and normal map) is also wrong when I use it on, for example, terrain:

More questions:
  • Are there special commands to create terrain or are these just normal meshes?
  • Can I create meshes WITH LoD versions IN CODE?

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2010 08:21 PM by Masterxilo.)
01-28-2010 08:21 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

1. your normal map isn't exactly correct, it has vectors set in non uniform way
3. yes you have methods for that
01-28-2010 08:31 PM
Masterxilo Offline

3.: ok

What about terrain creation?

Btw., if I let the photoshop normal map plugin normalize the normal map nothing changes. So that's not the problem.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2010 08:43 PM by Masterxilo.)
01-28-2010 08:40 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

2. creating terrain with all options as in WE is complex

1. its about the direction where the vectors point
01-28-2010 08:50 PM
Masterxilo Offline

1.: OK. I managed to get it working correctly by creating a bumpmap from that normal map and then creating the material from that bumpmap only.

2.: But is it possible to create terrain that works/looks just like the terrain in the editor by using just the available engine commands?
Or is there some technique used which can't be reproduced?

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2010 09:07 PM by Masterxilo.)
01-28-2010 09:07 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

2. yes you can manually set MeshBase and then call setRender
01-28-2010 10:43 PM
Masterxilo Offline

Could I write a material shader that has all the features of the existing default material shader (relief mapping etc.)
but which makes my texture blend differently with the vertex/base color of the mesh/terrain it's applied to?
(It looks like the default method is just multiplying the material color with the base color, but I would like to have them blend with "overlay" technique
which does: a < .5 ? (2 * a * b) : (1 – 2 * (1 – a) * (1 – b)) for every color component (a = overlay = material, b = base mesh vertex color)).

01-29-2010 08:41 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

no, custom shaders need to be written from scratch.
01-29-2010 09:08 PM
Masterxilo Offline

And there's no source code for the existing shaders?
Can I somehow make a material that blends differently with the underlying color without shaders?

01-29-2010 10:11 PM