About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Bugs (?)
Masterxilo Offline

Bugs (?)
Just some little things I discovered:
  • In the Autoupdate.exe, the lower line of the button is not showing (for me at least). The button should look like the other one (I copied from the gui editor), shouldn't it?
    [Image: esentautoupdate.jpg]
  • In the gui editor, the screen proportions indicator lines overlap the main tool bar (but not the other tool windows). Is this intended?
    [Image: guied.jpg]
  • In Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG).cpp, it says:
    Quote:"Press a,s,d,f to change B nesh type"
    but it should be
    Quote:"Press a,s,d,f to change B mesh type"
I'm sorry if I'm annoying you by reporting these small things.

I don't know where to say that, but from what I've seen so far (the features, the support, the tutorials, the constant updates etc.) I have to say I'm really impressed by this project.
This is really a great engine! wink

System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Q6600 2.4 GHZ, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 260 GTX 896 MB DDR3

Visit my site: hurricane-eye.webs.com
And read my blog: hurricane-eyeent.blogspot.com
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2010 08:35 PM by Masterxilo.)
12-02-2009 10:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Some (small) "bugs"
thank you for your opinion
I've fixed the "nesh" typo

the line in the button isn't displaying because its an issue of drawing scaled textures

Quote:In the gui editor, the screen proportions indicator lines overlap the main tool bar (but not the other tool windows). Is this intended?
yes, I wanted to make sure that the users will see exactly where the screen areas are.
12-02-2009 10:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Masterxilo Offline

• The editor doesn't save my "Directional Light" setting. I always have to manually set it to "Diagonal".

System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Q6600 2.4 GHZ, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 260 GTX 896 MB DDR3

12-05-2009 12:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Masterxilo Offline

• The upper and left parts of the shadow of gui windows disappear when fading out:
    Code:
    /******************************************************************************/
    #include "stdafx.h"

Window window; // gui window

void InitPre()
    {
        App.name("GUI");
        Paks.add("../data/engine.pak");
        D.mode(800,600);
    }
    /******************************************************************************/
    Bool Init()
    {
        Gui   +=window.create(Rect(-0.5,-0.3,0.5,0.2)       ,"Window Title"); // create window and add it to Gui
        return true;
    }

void Shut()
    {
    }

Bool Update()
    {
        if(Kb.bp(KB_ESC))return false;

Gui.update(); // update GUI
        if(Kb.bp(KB_SPACE))window.fadeToggle();
        return true;
    }

void Draw()
    {
        D  .clear(WHITE);
        Gui.draw (); // draw GUI
    }
    press Space to fade out the window.

12-13-2009 11:48 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

thank you, fix will be in the next engine version
12-14-2009 01:21 AM
Masterxilo Offline

• 2 "problems" with APP_MEM_LEAKS:
    • The message language (not that I wouldn't understand it, I guess it just says how many mem-leaks that were detected)

• The application always returns exit code -1 when APP_MEM_LEAKS was used, even when there were no leaks detected
  • Documentation: Resources->Materials->"Materials can be... techniques": "Alpha" should be "AlphaTest",
    and there is info about the "Blend" technique....

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2009 01:00 AM by Masterxilo.)
12-19-2009 12:55 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

thank you, fixes will be in next engine release

however "◦The application always returns exit code -1 when APP_MEM_LEAKS" this is normal
12-19-2009 01:10 AM
Masterxilo Offline

ok, thank you

12-19-2009 01:11 AM
Masterxilo Offline

RE: Bugs (?)
  • Things that are clearly in front of the water are refracted:
    [Image: refraction.jpg]
    (Water.refract was set to 1.0 here)
    Maybe this is because you don't render the scene a second time with a clipping plane at water height,
    but just use the final image from the rendering. I guess doing another render would cause some slowdown...
  • I looked at the new gui tutorial and noticed:
    The color picker doesn't need to be added to Gui to work (Gui += cp; is not needed). It appears to be added to it automatically/internally.
    Every other gui component has to be added to Gui manually --> maybe this should be unified...?
  • I modified the "01 - Bars.cpp" gui tutorial's Init function to:
    Code:
    Gui+=window  .create(Rect(-0.5,-0.2,0.5,0.0),"Window with bars");
        window+=slidebar.create(Rect(0.1,-0.2,0.9,-0.12)); // create slidebar
        window.rect.min -= Vec2(0,0.2); // and make the window bigger
        window+=progress.create(Rect(0.1,-0.4,0.9,-0.32)); // create progressbar
        window+=slider  .create(Rect(0.1,-0.6,0.9,-0.52)); // create slider
    So the window becomes bigger everytime a new element (bar is added).
    But this doesn't seem to work correctly (I can only see half of the first bar, and I can't see any of the others).
    What am I doing wrong?
    I'd really like to be able to do this just like that so I can programmatically add more elements.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2010 09:04 PM by Masterxilo.)
01-23-2010 09:03 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

1. its not bug, its just too big refraction which causes the issue

2. ill think about it

3. window has also something called crect, client rectangle which handles client/child clipping
you can use window.resize, or window.setRect to overcome your problem
01-23-2010 09:17 PM
Masterxilo Offline

• World editor: When importing or loading (or streaming (?)) quite big heightmaps, their ambient occlusion has seams:
    [Image: terrainaoseams.th.jpg]
    Only disabling and re-enabling terrain ao fixes this:
    [Image: terrainaoseams2.th.jpg]
  • World editor: heightmaps imported and placed next to each other are not connected:
    [Image: ternotconnected.th.jpg]
    until you change the terrain close to the gaps:
    [Image: ternotconnected2.th.jpg]
  • World editor: Scaling materials applied to terrain causes seams (in the world origin): before scaling
    [Image: texnotscaled.th.jpg]
    after scaling:
    [Image: texscaled.th.jpg]

I guess this is because of the strange way the uvs on the terrain are set, because when scaling the textures "move" like:
    [Image: ttexscalingdir.th.jpg]
    If the uv's were placed correctly, the texture should just scale "away" from the origin, shouldn't it? Why does it scale so strange?

Also, why is the scaling limited to [0.5 - 2]?

02-03-2010 09:37 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Don't worry about AO, texture scale seems, becase when Building, it will always be correct.

•World editor: heightmaps imported and placed next to each other are not connected:
•until you change the terrain close to the gaps:
this is on purpose

Also, why is the scaling limited to [0.5 - 2]?
too big difference between multiple materials caused issues in parallax/relief mapping material blending
02-03-2010 10:14 PM
Masterxilo Offline

Quote:Don't worry about AO, texture scale seems, becase when Building, it will always be correct.
I see, but would it be possible to make this (at least the texture scaling) look correct in the editor also, without building?
Because I'd like to see what I get:

Something else:
Ambient light color does not work with "Grass" material technique (or is this intended?).

And again something else: in World Editor:
Changing the ambient light color of an object's material doesn't work directly/right away...

Try to do the following: Open the "sample.world", go to object mode and select the 'Club' object.
Then hit the "Material" button which will show the club's material.
Play with the ambient light color: You'll see that the material preview changes the ambient light color, but not the actual object in the world.
It works only after changing the material technique to anything and then back to "Default"...

EDIT: This is true for any material edited in WE (also for terrain mats -> ambient color changes are not applied right away).

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2010 10:17 PM by Masterxilo.)
04-04-2010 02:55 PM
Masterxilo Offline

More findings
  1. Terrain material transitions from material ambient color and/or sub surface scattering and/or reflective textures to normal materials look strange (blocky).
    I think this is because these settings only affect patches/quads that have only this one material.

Can this be changed/fixed?
  2. There are bugs in the built terrain (= play mode in WE).
    It looks like "steps":

3. In the above image, you also see that textures with high "bumpiness" seem to "flicker". This happens only in play mode (flickering regions circled):

In edit mode:

4. The player gets faster when jumping and moving (already reported on Esenthel RPG 2...).
  5. Large scaled (terrain) textures look strange/wrong (only in deferred rendering mode). Even when their bumpiness value is 0 (so this is not the cause):
    [Image: bumptolargescaled.th.jpg]

04-07-2010 10:51 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

1. multi material blending doesn't support ambient, sss, reflection
I will not add this anytime soon because that would increase combination of shader (increase engine.pak which is already too big)

2. small issue in terrain mesh optimization, to work around you can make small changes in height in edit mode at specified locations

5. this appears when it's too big contrast of texture scales between multiple materials blending and parallax/relief mapping is used
I will not fix this because it will make shaders much slower.
suggestion - don't use to big difference in texture scale between neighbour materials
04-11-2010 06:01 AM