About Store Forum Documentation Contact

questions from a beginner
Chris31 Offline

questions from a beginner
Hi,

im very excited about what you can do with the engine without knowing anything about grafic programming and good knowledge of c++, but to make the next step i think understanding the basics in grafic programming is a good way.
So does anyone know where i can find basic tutorials about grafic programming without any context to code? i mean, just plain text explaining what is e.g. bump mapping or lightmaps etc?
I could search google but since im not a native english speaker, its hard to find what im looking for. I mostly get tutorials with specific directX code what im not looking for.

My second question is about 3D models. When i downloaded free 3D models from different sites in 3ds format, do i only need to drag and drop the 3ds file in the mesh editor to convert it to esenthel format or do i need any other files? Most downloads of free 3D models include some jpg, pngs and other files which seem to be the textures for the 3D model. Does the 3ds file include those files automatically or do i need to drag and drop them manually?

My third and last question goes to the World editor. Can you somehow track the bigger squares presented in the world editor in code? Or can you only track the smaller squares? I would like to know if you can give specific squares attributes like arrable or less arable land.

Thank you,
Chris
12-14-2009 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brainache Offline

RE: questions from a beginner
1) Here is a link to a 3d glossary - I havent read all of it... but it seems to have a real nice breakdown of the terminology used..

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/downloads/...d_glossary

2) As for the textures... it depends on the model... the mesh editor attempts to create your materials for you ( by converting the png/jpg/bmp etc textures into Esenthel's .gfx format)... You will often find those in the same folder as your converted object. However, you will sometimes need to create the .gfx files manually by dragging them into the mesh editor while it is material mode ( see the documentation on mesh editor for more details)

3) Nope.. Engine does not natively support parameters for individual squares, other than "walkable"
12-14-2009 04:07 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

3) this requires "programmable world editor" from the professional license
12-14-2009 06:46 PM
Chris31 Offline

thank you brainache thats good for a start..
Well for a professional license and the feature which i need i have to spare money for 1 year. I will think about it.

thanks
12-15-2009 01:51 PM