About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Version control tool
Tottel Offline

Version control tool
My friend and I are trying to use the version control tool to sync our map in the world editor, but we constantly fail to connect to his server (Global IP).

He forwarded his ports but it doesn't help. Is there anything we're forgetting?
02-15-2010 09:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Version control tool
maybe he's behind some sort of firewall/router
try doing this the other way, create server on the second computer.
02-15-2010 09:54 PM
Sarrene Offline

I would check all firewalls on both router and computer as mentioned above first befor all other things.

If either you or your friend is using a router (I suspect he is if he is on a form of broadband isp) then you might have to have him set his system, or what ever one you want to use as the "server" outside the network.

In the router settings you might have to have him set his system up outside the network to allow incoming queries. If he sets up his computer outside the normal routers firewall, and put him in a DMZ, you should be able to access this system. If you go this route, you will have to have him set up a firewall on his system with authorized ip/mac add access.

Setting up a vpn might be the best way to do this. This would be simular to the above, but a bit more secure. Of course, going this way will depend on your/his isp host and what they do and do not allow. Every router is set up differently and each isp sets them up in different ways.

I hope one of these ideas will help. I am sure others will have additions to what i said and may even have better ways to handle this. These are just ideas that I know of.

Peace,
Sarrene'
02-16-2010 03:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

We'll try that, thanks grin

3 people, including me, have tried it now, and we can't even connect to our own global IP..

Let's see how this goes.
02-16-2010 11:29 PM
Kezryk Offline

Im having the same problem! I can get it to work internally, on my home network. But, when i try to connect to it from wan it wont connect.
I am behind a router opened the ports and made exceptions in the firewall. but still cant connect.
12-30-2010 07:04 AM
Aniketos Offline

(12-30-2010 07:04 AM)Kezryk Wrote:  Im having the same problem! I can get it to work internally, on my home network. But, when i try to connect to it from wan it wont connect.
I am behind a router opened the ports and made exceptions in the firewall. but still cant connect.

You yourself pretty much explain the cause if it works on lan it should work on wan. Because they are pretty much the same only with more routers in between so there is nothing wrong code wise. It's most likely you haven't opened the ports correctly or there is still something blocking it like anti-virus or something.

I'm not exactly sure but have you tried tools like Hamachi or Tunngle to create a Virtual Lan and then try using the tools on those newly created Ip addresses ?
12-30-2010 10:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kezryk Offline

Solved! Apparently you cant connec via a Dynamic ip. I called my service provider and got a static ip and now it works. Kinda confusing setup from them, im now on fiber with 10m of bandwidth. XD

Kezryk
01-01-2011 12:15 AM