About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Forum Search
fatcoder Offline

Forum Search
Esenthel, is it possible to change the forum search to allow us to search for a 3 letter word. At the moment, the forum seach only allows you to search for 4 letter words as the smallest search word. The problem is that there are a number of things I would like to search for such as any posts that talk about LOD for example. But I cannot enter just 3 letters.
05-16-2010 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynad Offline

RE: Forum Search
Yes i have that problem aswell...

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
05-16-2010 03:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I can change it if you can let me know where

from what I've found about mybb

"Minimum Search Word Length
The minimum number of characters each word must be in a query. Set to 0 to disable this setting. For standard searching, there is a hard limit of 3, and for full text searching, there is a hard limit of 4. The hard limit will always override the set limit if the set limit is lower than the hard limit. "

it says something about hard limit, and I'm not sure if it's changeable
05-16-2010 04:20 PM
Dynad Offline

Hey Esenthel,

I have Mybb forum on my site aswell, and i have set:
Minimum Search Word Length = 0.

Now i can use the search with 3 characters.

Using version 1.4.11

I hope it helps smile

~Dynad

05-16-2010 04:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I tried that too but it didn't help.
The value seems to be also dependent on MySQL settings.
05-16-2010 04:58 PM
Dynad Offline

Yea then its indeed a mysql setting, but with a shared hosting server its most likely u can't change it. U need to restart SQL server aswell to make it work.

05-16-2010 05:10 PM
Driklyn Offline

Yeah, the default minimum word length for full-text searches in MySQL is 4. Not exactly easy to change...

... sooo, let's take advantage of the wonderful services provided by Google lol Just search using these keywords site:esenthel.com/community lod and problem is solved. It should be possible to add a Google Search option to the forum's search page. I know a lot of sites do this.

I had this problem the other day when I was searching the forums for something. Took me til just now to remember I could use Google, lol..
05-17-2010 12:03 AM