About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Actor bounciness and mass
decline Offline

Actor bounciness and mass
This might be more of a PhysX issue, as I've worked with Newton before and encountered none of these anomalies, but anyway; regardless of what I set the bounciness of a material to that I assign to a surface and a barrel, the higher the mass of the barrel, the more it happily bounces around when dropped onto it. I can contain this by setting a sufficient damping, but this seems more like a hack than a physically correct solution. Am I missing something else? Why would the barrel bounce with a high mass and 0 bounciness for both, and exceedingly high at that?

Also, it puzzles me somewhat that actors can easily shove objects many times their own mass; an actor with mass 1 has no problem shoving an item with mass 100 around, and only with mass 500 he finally isn't able to anymore. I'm aware of setting mass to 0 to create a static object, but I'm actually interested in creating objects that can be shoved more or less easily depending on their mass relative to the actors mass. While this might be achievable with setting different masses, the values I have to use can not really be inferred from real world values for this, but have to be, as mentioned, awkardly high. Does the controller used in Chr produce such enormous momentum by the way it handles movement (although the movement doesn't seem that fast) which the controlled actor then confers to any actor it collides with, or why is this?

Thanks in advance.
06-09-2010 02:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Actor bounciness and mass
1. ther's something like bounciness combine mode PhysMtrl::bouncinessMode
which by default is MODE_AVG (average of 2 bounciness bodies contacting together)

2. character controller operates on manually setting velocity, not forces, so it can have big "move power"
if you wish it'd be more natural you'd need to write your own character controller and game character classes
06-09-2010 02:53 PM
decline Offline

RE: Actor bounciness and mass
(06-09-2010 02:53 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  1. ther's something like bounciness combine mode PhysMtrl::bouncinessMode
which by default is MODE_AVG (average of 2 bounciness bodies contacting together)
I know; my interpretation is that the mode governs the combining of the two values of bounciness, and not the velocities of the actors in question directly, is this correct? However, then, the AVG of 0 and 0 would still be 0. In any case, using the other modes (e.g. MODE_MIN) doesn't eliminate the anomalous behaviour of happy bouncing with high masses.

(06-09-2010 02:53 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  2. character controller operates on manually setting velocity, not forces, so it can have big "move power"
if you wish it'd be more natural you'd need to write your own character controller and game character classes
I see, I'll have to find a workaround then. Thanks for the answer.
06-09-2010 04:04 PM