About Store Forum Documentation Contact

error building tutorials
ghreef Offline

error building tutorials
Any clue why I would get an error like this when building the tutorial in VS 2008 pro?

1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: Tutorials, Configuration: Debug DX10+ Win32 ------
1>Deleting intermediate and output files for project 'Tutorials', configuration 'Debug DX10+|Win32'
1>Compiling...
1>stdafx.cpp
1>Compiling...
1>02 - Input.cpp
1>Compiling resources...
1>Project : error PRJ0003 : Error spawning 'rc.exe'.
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Caine\Desktop\EsenthelEngineSDK\Tutorials\Debug DX10+\BuildLog.htm"
1>Tutorials - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
09-09-2010 02:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynad Offline

RE: error building tutorials
Just build it again.. then it should work smile

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
09-09-2010 02:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghreef Offline

nope, it doesn;t work. I'm starting to research and finding that when building the .sln in VS 2008 pro, it asks what type of project first. I chose a C++ project which evidently was the wrong selection. It appears that I should have chosen a blank Win 32 app instead as choosing a C++ project in Pro will automatically add some extra files which causes this error. I can't seem to figure out a way around this, but I'll keep pluggin away. :(
09-09-2010 03:01 PM
Dynad Offline

Well try the tutorials.sln from the tutorials map instead.

09-09-2010 03:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

No, that compilation of the exe is a problem of VS, just press F7 a few times, or you could delete the old exe, also I've noticed if Spybot search and destroy or a few other anti viruses that does real time scanning prevent the exe from being build, this is solved by put the path to your exe to not be search at all when real time virus scan is active. or exclude every object inside the folder as protected inside the anti virus.
09-09-2010 03:12 PM
ghreef Offline

I've removed all anti-virus from my pc (shhh) and dc'd from the net so I can isolate my work. I'm removing VS '08 pro and migrating to express for now. Once I have a better handle on esenthel then I can think of migrating back into pro.

gotta love the challenges of working in IT eh? <- and I'm not even Canadian! lol
09-09-2010 03:28 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

this is some issue with visual studio, maybe you need to install newer version, like with SP1 or something.
I guess that would help

or maybe the rc.exe file somehow didnt get installed, you can try reinstalling/updating visual studio
09-09-2010 03:36 PM
Tottel Offline

Oh, and simply turning off real-time scanning would be enough.. You don't have to uninstall everything. grin
09-09-2010 03:38 PM
ghreef Offline

ever have one of those days??? (I am)

I removed all of VS 08 pro, installed express, ensured all the install files were where they needed to be, built the project (which was successful) and now I'm getting an error: d3d10.dll was not found from the tutorial.exe. No results when searching the forums. Has anyone seen this? (I JUST want to play around with esenthel!!!) :(
09-09-2010 03:48 PM
Dynad Offline

Well you need to install the latest DirectX to make it work... if that isn't working you can install the directx SDK as last resort wink

09-09-2010 03:58 PM
ghreef Offline

<sigh>

<another sigh>

I was about to reply and say "duh - did that!" then I checked. The wonderful people at directx provide a file extractor as an exe but it doesn't actually install the friggin' software, it merely extracts the files. (nowhere does it specify that it's just an extractor)

so - now I am actually installing the software. time for some coffee, then I can get started on my first mmorpg. what does a degubber do again?

KIDDING!!! lol
ps - thanks for all the help. I hope to be part of the community going forward - and not just in the asking questions sense.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2010 04:02 PM by ghreef.)
09-09-2010 04:02 PM
Dynad Offline

Im glad you have it working and welcome to the community smile

09-09-2010 04:04 PM
ghreef Offline

ok, now I'm done. Got past all those errors and I'm STILL getting an error on a clean tutorial.exe build. I'm now getting:
The procedure entry point memmove_s could not be located in the dll msvcrt.dll.

W ... T ... F!!!

I've alread triaged through Dr. Google and I've restored the dll from the original XP install cd through the repair option. Still getting this error. Oddly, the clean precompiled tutorial that ships from the esenthel site worked just fine.

any ideas? Getting close to a full xp reinstall.
09-09-2010 04:39 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Are you using a custom vs project or the one from sdk - "tutorials"?

You can try installing vcredist
09-09-2010 04:48 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

09-09-2010 04:48 PM