About Store Forum Documentation Contact

ME Material Problem
Dddd Offline

ME Material Problem
I have been using other free models from Turbo Squid to test things out with EE. I have added materials to them, added skeletons, and have created idle/running animations for use in my test app. All of this works perfectly.

However, now I have created a simple sphere .obj model. I dragged and dropped this test model into the ME. I cannot apply a material texture. Please see testSphere.jpg attachment for visual details.

I then downloaded a simple werewolf.obj model from turbo squid. I applied the same material texture in the ME and it worked. See second attachment: werewolf.jpg for details.

So what's going on? What am I doing wrong. I am led to believe it is either a problem with creating the testSphere.obj file or that I am missing a needed step once importing into ME. I have created the testSphere.obj in both Blender and Sculptris (another modeling software) and yet I receive the same results. This has been bugging me for the past couple of hours since I have been trying everything so I thought I'd ask for some advice here.

Furthermore, I have tried to apply some of the other textures that came with the EE and no luck either.

I am probably doing something stupid, but if someone could assist, I would really appreciate it. Thanks. (Edit: added zip for the .obj files I am using/scaled down images.)

Attached File(s) Image(s)

.zip  objFiles.zip (Size: 82.21 KB / Downloads: 3)
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2010 06:58 AM by Dddd.)
11-02-2010 06:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Driklyn Offline

RE: ME Material Problem
Putting a texture on the sphere didn't work for me either. I imported it into 3DS Max and re-exported it as a Collada (.DAE) file and then it worked (re-exporting it as a .OBJ didn't work).

I also created a new sphere inside of 3DS Max and exported it as a .OBJ and that did indeed work with a texture, so either try using a different exporter or perhaps try recreating the sphere (have you tried other created objects besides a sphere?).
11-02-2010 07:30 AM
Dddd Offline

I have tried other objects. They did not work either with my current workflow. However, I have now solved why it is happening, just not how to fix it.

In .obj format, there is the the texture coordinates like:

------------------------------------------
# Texture coordinates, in (u,v[,w]) coordinates, w is optional.
vt 0.500 -1.352 [0.234]
vt ...
-----------------------------------

My .obj files do not have these when produced by my current workflow. When I am in the ME. I go to Mesh->Add->Ball. A sphere is added. Applying a texture works in this case. When I export this from ME to .obj the output file has texture coordinates. So this, I think, is why it's not working.

Now to find a solution on how I can add these. Must be simple; however I do not yet know.
11-02-2010 07:54 AM
Driklyn Offline

I was able to add a texture to the provided sphere inside of 3DS Max so it appears that it does have texture coordinates.

I would just export using Collada and I'd imagine you're problem will be solved.
11-02-2010 08:13 AM
Dddd Offline

Hi Driklyn.

I am using Blender and it seems that all I needed to do was add the UV texture then re-export the file (obj, dae, etc. worked). The texture coordinates were then included.
11-02-2010 09:23 AM
Demi Offline

Try mapping apply in the material editor (ctrl+enter). I imported it intp blender and it appears there are no valid maps. After unwrapping it the texture will apply correctly.
11-02-2010 10:48 AM
Dddd Offline

Hi Demi. I did try mapping apply in the material editor; it still did not work, but with the solution I spoke of in my last post, which you also touched upon, I should be (and any one who has this problem later) all set.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

ps. now I am so excited to be able to make my own models, texture them, add skeletons, and animate them. Last week I could not say this. EE has definitely accelerated my progress.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2010 11:22 PM by Dddd.)
11-02-2010 11:21 PM