About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Is Esenthel the Right Engine?
runewake2 Offline

Is Esenthel the Right Engine?
I am a senior in high school and am taking an independent study in "Game Design". Myself and a few friends are planning on working on a parkour game based sometime during world war 2. The plan was to use Unity since I know how to use it and believe that I could get a good working game out in a few months but I have had second guesses and am wondering if it would be a better idea to use Esenthel.

The game is relatively simple involving a player who can run, walk, climb and a few other basic things in some German city. Would it be possible to use my knowledge of Unity and other languages in Esenthel to create a descent project in 9 weeks? I have limited knowledge of C++ but have done a lot of work in both Unity and Game Maker (Yes it's not great, but it's a better start than Alice).

Is a project of this kind a good place to start when beginning work in c++ or should I stick to Unity and Java?

Your help is appreciated.
11-05-2010 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
llynx Offline

RE: Is Esenthel the Right Engine?
Are you good at java/oo languages? If you are then you shouldn't have much trouble picking up esenthel in c++. If you've got the models and animations then it should be no problem in 9 weeks. But if you're going to be making the models/animations yourself then you'd have to substitute realism for functionality etc... But if you feel more comfortable with Unity, I'd stick with that as there is more documentation/resources for it.
11-06-2010 12:15 AM
runewake2 Offline

I was looking to move to Esenthel because it provides more power than Unity and is C++ rather than Java. I have two friends who are planning on working on the art, so that wouldn't be a problem.

What makes C++ different than Java. From what I know Java is just the better parts of C++ and C with a few added features. Is this true or will I need to learn a new style for classes, methods and such.

I also remember hearing that array's in C are not dynamic as in Java. Is this true?

Thanks for the help llynx!
11-06-2010 01:59 AM
llynx Offline

(11-06-2010 01:59 AM)runewake2 Wrote:  I was looking to move to Esenthel because it provides more power than Unity and is C++ rather than Java. I have two friends who are planning on working on the art, so that wouldn't be a problem.

What makes C++ different than Java. From what I know Java is just the better parts of C++ and C with a few added features. Is this true or will I need to learn a new style for classes, methods and such.

I also remember hearing that array's in C are not dynamic as in Java. Is this true?

Thanks for the help llynx!

Arraylists, linkedlists, etc from Java are dynamic, but regular arrays in Java are not dynamic, same as in C++, but C++ does not have built in Arraylist classes etc, you'd have to code that yourself.

To be honest I started with Esenthel as a Intermediate/Advanced Java programmer and I have felt little to no difference just for a few syntax things I've had to pick up here and there.

If you know that Unity is too limited at this point then EE is definitely the way to go now, and in the long run imo.
11-06-2010 05:05 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

EE has builtin support for dynamic arrays - memory containers
http://www.esenthel.com/wiki/index.php?t...Containers
11-06-2010 06:35 AM
runewake2 Offline

(11-06-2010 05:05 AM)llynx Wrote:  Arraylists, linkedlists, etc from Java are dynamic, but regular arrays in Java are not dynamic, same as in C++, but C++ does not have built in Arraylist classes etc, you'd have to code that yourself.

To be honest I started with Esenthel as a Intermediate/Advanced Java programmer and I have felt little to no difference just for a few syntax things I've had to pick up here and there.

If you know that Unity is too limited at this point then EE is definitely the way to go now, and in the long run imo.

Thanks for the help again. I will try out Esenthel. If I hit too many problems I can always switch back to Unity anyway.

Thanks Esenthel as well for the dynamic array link. That will come in handy.
11-06-2010 01:16 PM