About Store Forum Documentation Contact

strange terrain render behaviour
yvanvds Offline

strange terrain render behaviour
Hey.

Since today I have some strange behaviour when rendering the terrain in my project. Some completely square parts of the terrain are not rendered with the correct material. Also in the minimap, most of the terrain has a blueish filter over it. Both problems can be seen in the added screenshot. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but i did upgrade the sdk earlier today. Other things i did were adding lots of items and some (trivial) terrain painting.

Could there be something wrong with the update?

[Image: renderdefect.png]
11-06-2010 09:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: strange terrain render behaviour
you can try manually copying
engine headers, lib files, engine.pak
then rebuilding the project
rebuilding the world, recreating the mini-maps

did you change anything in the system? like drivers, programs, ..
11-06-2010 10:11 PM
Harry Offline

I have this sometimes. I first saw it about two months ago, but i thought that it was sometning wrong with my drawing code. Sometimes I have this since the game start and sometimes it shows during play. But it's very rare situations.
11-06-2010 11:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
yvanvds Offline

Ok. Did some extra tests today. I tried manually copying headers etc, but that didn't make a difference.

The problem with the minimap is solved, though i don't know why. It seems it was also calculating a sort of blue fog. I could see this when "playing" the game in the world editor and zooming out. Don't know why it was doing that though. I tried changing the environment settings, and after i disabled shadows in the editor i had a normal minimap. Enabling shadows again did not trigger the problem, so that's still a bit awkward. At least it's gone for now.

The problem with the terrain textures is still there though. Here are some things i found out:

- the problem is there in the world editor 'play' mode as well as in my game itself. That should prove it's not likely a programming issue in my code.

- If i change the start position of my character to the affected spots, they're ok at first. But if i walk around in my gameworld for a time and then return to them, they're wrong again.

- Painting over the whole game terrain with a single texture AND removing a few hundred objects "solves" the issue.

- After really boosting my character speed so i could check on every spot a bit faster, the problem started occuring at random places in the game world. But once in a while my screen freezes for a sec, and after that all terrain I can see is ok. Once i move to places i did not recently visit it starts happening again. So the same spot can be ok one time, and wrong a few minutes later.

- I started to suspect a performance issue now, but my cpu hardly ever reaches 25%. There's also more than a gig of free memory at all times.

I'm gonna try some other things, but it seems to me i should find out why the game stalls for a second once in a while. That's hard to debug though. Are there any utilities to help with that?

Regards,

yvan
11-08-2010 05:41 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

maybe this is some sort of gpu driver issue?
do you have the latest drivers? does problem occur in other games?
what gpu do you have?
11-10-2010 11:28 PM
Seba Offline

I have the same problem:
[Image: eeerror2.th.jpg]
[Image: eeerror3.th.jpg]
[Image: eeerror.th.jpg]

Three times i play and have this error.
I have newest drivers and use Geforce 7600.
11-12-2010 10:55 PM
Harry Offline

If it is important I have Radeon HD 5770 and the newest drivers without patches (10.10).
11-12-2010 10:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Can you provide a small package (world + materials) that can be reproduced the error in the world editor?
11-12-2010 11:34 PM
Seba Offline

I use Mtrl/Beach/SoilBeach001.mtrl
I don't have error in WE.

http://www.sendspace.pl/file/ea7dbfe6282f9cd69133d4a
11-12-2010 11:50 PM
yvanvds Offline

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT card. Just updated to the latest drivers. Running windows 7, 64 bit version on an Intel Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.33GHz. With 4 GB ram. Don't know all the component brands from memory, but they should be decent.

I'll see about making a package with world data & materials as soon as i find the time. It's a very busy month, it seems :-)
11-13-2010 12:44 AM
Seba Offline

I make more tests and i have this error when viewRange=75, when i set viewRange=150 I didn't get this error.
11-13-2010 11:46 AM
Harry Offline

I always have viewRange=190 and I had this error.
11-13-2010 12:08 PM
Seba Offline

How fast you move? Do you fly or drive a car?

I move around map using that code:
Quote:Bool UpdateGame()
{
Game::World.update(Cam.at);

if(Kb.bp(KB_ESC))StateMenu.set(1.0);

// update the camera FPP 'WSAD' style
if(Kb.b(KB_A ))Cam.at-=Cam.matrix.x*Time.d()*20;
if(Kb.b(KB_D ))Cam.at+=Cam.matrix.x*Time.d()*20;
if(Kb.b(KB_S ))Cam.at-=Cam.matrix.z*Time.d()*20;
if(Kb.b(KB_W ))Cam.at+=Cam.matrix.z*Time.d()*20;
if(Kb.b(KB_LSHIFT))Cam.at-=Vec(0,1,0) *Time.d()*20;
if(Kb.b(KB_SPACE ))Cam.at+=Vec(0,1,0) *Time.d()*20;

CamHandle(0.01,0.01,CAMH_ROT); // allow only rotation

Water.update(Vec2(0.01,0.01));

return true;
}

When i going around island i get error.

When i move at speed Time.d()*2 i don't get an error.
11-13-2010 12:53 PM
Harry Offline

I was flying, but when I exited game and loaded world in WE I had error in the same area. Problem had disappeared when I had rebuilt world but few days later I saw it in another area. It was about 2 months ago and since then I haven't seen anything strange...
11-13-2010 01:02 PM
Seba Offline

I don't see this error i WE and now i don't have idea why this happend.
11-13-2010 01:24 PM