About Store Forum Documentation Contact

esenthel and sql
darkpdx Offline

esenthel and sql
is it possible to bind mysql or mssql to esenthel?
11-18-2010 07:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: esenthel and sql
EE does not have builtin sql support, but I think there are some 3rd party libraries that can be used for that.
11-18-2010 07:41 PM
darkpdx Offline

and without the sql can be done to the name, password, skills, character data stored in a folder which is in a directory server?
11-18-2010 08:07 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

yes, Esenthel MMO uses normal files
11-18-2010 08:37 PM
darkpdx Offline

Thank you! yet such is the question, course I is not the topic but here I am pulled from the models and textures lineage2, load the model in the mesh tool and put a texture, butit does not work. I heard that you need the texture to 180 degrees to deploy? What do youthink a way out of this situation?
11-18-2010 09:06 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

please specify what doesn't work, please check also documentation for mesh editor, importing models, and check the videos for them too.
11-18-2010 09:16 PM
darkpdx Offline

when applying the texture eyes are on the pop, pop at all on napesmile tried it in blender to try, but does not help.
11-18-2010 09:27 PM
Yurci Offline

For fully compatible with MMO games it would be nice to make SQL support. All MMOs I ever played always have registration via webpage.

Account information on file it's not secure IMO... (Database too, even i know how sniff connection)
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2010 02:16 PM by Yurci.)
11-19-2010 02:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

Its not secure, and it is not fast to use file systems when going to having a MMO.
with using file systems for account information you are using IO, just think if you got a server having 4k users, and suddenly during peak times 200 users logs on, and they all have large accounts because of inventory etcetc. you are going to get high IO usage, which is not very good when considering MMO.
11-19-2010 03:43 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

No, if you do it right, then it can work fine.
EE has lots of mechanisms, for optimal performance, security, including connection encryption, save overwrite mechanisms.
Files are usually small - few KB, and read once.
Choice is of course to the end user.
11-19-2010 04:36 PM
darkpdx Offline

if create a mmo to the public that no sql course I can not do. but for myself it is possible that the data stored in the appropriate folder. I'm still just learningsmile in the future once all will learn engine, then buy a license for esenthel. P.S. esenthel for me the easiest enginesmile
11-19-2010 07:43 PM
Zervox Offline

Your going to make a MMO and play all by yourself? Whats the point with MMO then?

and Esenthel how are you supposing that it can sustain performance with a 4k player server constantly logging in and out, fragmentation, IO, constantly writing to disc, there is a reason no MMO uses this sort of implementation. Its basically the same reason no MMO uses sqllite because it adds tons of IO for each subsequent read and write. 200 users on and off, saving and reading means 200 files at 10kb each would add up to 4MB each time, this adds to the IO which is way high. Now you need to overwrite the files each time something changes in inventory this happens alot in MMO's and how much wouldn't that add to the IO? It would collapse with around 100-200 people constantly playing, and lots of people logging in and out.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2010 08:55 PM by Zervox.)
11-19-2010 08:47 PM
Chris Offline

People should use SQL if the only alternative is to write a file-system from scratch – I'm more familiar with SQL than any other system, and it is the most common/tried and tested in commercial MMOs. But I’m also agreeing with Esenthel "No, if you do it right, then it can work fine." – I don’t think that completely ignoring file/custom systems is always the best option.

In 2008 I did a synthetic clustering simulation of a multiserver architecture using 1 million dynamic players in a file database; it was looking particularly at overhead, but it also counted some basic I/O stats. The architecture was having an activity variable and “next login” heuristic for each account, which determines a dynamic sorting and pages in-and-out accounts until it fills a set % of memory/size. I mentioned for future work you could take this a step further and extrapolate login/logouts, e.g. if they log in and out within certain time thresholds, add them to previous page operation of that time threshold. But because it was maintained in a dynamic structure, trailing anomalies don't add too high. The only synthetic scenario it didn’t reduce I/O for was with random constant login/outs - very unnatural.

I think that with careful design, and forward thinking in terms of merging login i/o with backup, there are lots of optimizations to make – even the extent of breaking up the account structure if there is data which won’t likely be accessed. As I find with the game Dan and I are making, sometimes it’s nice having the extra flexibility with these optimizations - especially in custom ground-up network architectures.
11-19-2010 10:41 PM
Rofar Offline

In the end, no matter whether it is a database or a custom data file, it's the same thing. You are persisting data to disk. Although I certainly see the benefit of SQL databases in the business world, I have always been comfortable storing and retrieving data from custom data files. As long as you code a good system, there should be no problem doing it that way.
11-19-2010 11:37 PM
llynx Offline

I'm curious if this would matter at all on a giant ramdisk
11-20-2010 01:02 AM