About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Calculating Draw Calls
smartwhiz Offline

Calculating Draw Calls
Hello,

For debugging and optimizing purpose, is there a way to get to know the number of draw calls being triggered while running?

Regrads
Smartwhiz
12-02-2010 06:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

RE: Calculating Draw Calls
I agree! This is essential to optimization. I've asked for this several times now, but no luck yet, so don't hold your breath.
12-02-2010 02:07 PM
smartwhiz Offline

That's sad! So is it something thats not present in the engine yet?
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2010 11:50 AM by smartwhiz.)
12-07-2010 11:39 AM
Dynad Offline

The only thing you can do is make a function that counts the draw loops. Maybe that will help you..

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
12-07-2010 12:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

You're thinking of the wrong thing. Not the frames (or game loops), but the number of draw calls sent to the video card per frame. This is the most important factor in graphics optimization, more so than poly count or LOD.

You could probably get this info by just running with PerfHUD. I haven't tried it though. But it would be good if the engine could give you this number to display next to your fps.

The only problem with a high level engine like Esenthel is that so much of the rendering is managed for you (behind the scenes), that it is difficult to optimize based on draw calls as you simply don't have enough control over how the engine chooses to batch things. For this reason, I can understand why Esenthel may never include a feature like this.
12-08-2010 01:32 AM
smartwhiz Offline

Even if that's the case, for the engine to be portable on the apple platforms like iPhone and iPad, we can optimize only if we are aware of the draw calls called by each entity, else its gonna be a long procedure. As of right now, I am not sure how we can optimize the draw of entities on screen to get a better FPS.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2010 11:01 AM by smartwhiz.)
12-09-2010 09:49 AM