About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Creating a Database?
Zervox Offline

RE: Creating a Database?
SQLite is not good to use for a MMO.
Its uses are websites,and embedded devices such as phones etc.
and is clearly the easiest database to set up, but they state themselves that there are alot of consequences due to the simplicity of SQLite.

on SQLite website they state:
Quote:* Client/Server Applications
A good rule of thumb is that you should avoid using SQLite in situations where the same database will be accessed simultaneously from many computers over a network filesystem.

You also can't split the database for off-loading.

Quote:High Concurrency
SQLite uses reader/writer locks on the entire database file. That means if any process is reading from any part of the database, all other processes are prevented from writing any other part of the database. Similarly, if any one process is writing to the database, all other processes are prevented from reading any other part of the database. For many situations, this is not a problem. Each application does its database work quickly and moves on, and no lock lasts for more than a few dozen milliseconds. But there are some applications that require more concurrency, and those applications may need to seek a different solution.

Which MMO's does alot, also no MMO's stores the database at the same computer as their game servers are running on for better offloading.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 02:25 PM by Zervox.)
04-12-2011 02:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nostre Offline

Quote:SQLite is not good to use for a MMO.
Its uses are websites,and embedded devices such as phones etc.
and is clearly the easiest database to set up, but they state themselves that there are alot of consequences due to the simplicity of SQLite.

on SQLite website they state:

Quote:* Client/Server Applications
A good rule of thumb is that you should avoid using SQLite in situations where the same database will be accessed simultaneously from many computers over a network filesystem.

Well that a big lye on SQLite3

Check this MMORPG he is running on SQLite and SQLobject (that what I want)

http://chickgeekgames.blogspot.com/2011/...w-two.html

http://www.minionsofmirth.com

I can give you a lot of Mmo running of the same way if you want

Check another programmer said that MYSQL is to slow for MMO

http://doublebuffered.com/2006/10/30/why...or-mmorpgs

Am testing on game engine since Runuo Nebula device… so why do I need to dispute this with you?
04-12-2011 08:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

(04-12-2011 08:14 PM)Nostre Wrote:  
Well that a big lye on SQLite3

Check this MMORPG he is running on SQLite and SQLobject (that what I want)

http://chickgeekgames.blogspot.com/2011/...w-two.html

http://www.minionsofmirth.com

I can give you a lot of Mmo running of the same way if you want

Check another programmer said that MYSQL is to slow for MMO

Perhaps you should read up on Mysql and SQLLite if Mysql was too slow for MMO's that wouldn't have been industry standard then.

and perhaps you should read properly what I wrote, that was a direct quote from SQLLite developers themselves, now if you call me a liar then perhaps you are not fit to figure out the facts yourself.

also minionsofmirth is not even close to being a MMO, perhaps you also should check upon the Torque project it was built on, which "woops, has been removed because the developers couldn't be bothered maintaining the slow codebase"

I can give you a list of MMO's using Mysql if you want.
World of Warcraft.
Rift.
Aion.
Age of Conan.
Fallen Earth.
Mortal Online.
Eve Online.

versus SQLLIte
low end MO's (yes MO because they are anything but massive)

and the blog you linked last.
A large rant regarding SQL and why it sucks, I can write tons of text regarding any technology I want, it still doesn't mean it is true, Mysql still handles lots of read-writes alot better than SQLLite, SQLLite wasn't designed to handle thousands of multiple writes, it was designed for fast accessing/reading info from it, and you still can't split the database.
Quote:Am testing on game engine since Runuo Nebula device… so why do I need to dispute this with you?
Ok, so you have tested the nebula device, so what? Does that make you an all knowing guru?

Why you insist on starting a dispute, I dont know(I was up for a discussion) and you call me a liar even though I link to facts written by the SQLLite developers themselves. and you link to a person just throwing a rant about something he is not happy with, and FYI he doesn't mention SQLLite or MySQL he bashes SQL in general, which therein lies SQLLite.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 10:02 PM by Zervox.)
04-12-2011 08:35 PM
Nostre Offline

Yeah yeah I just want to test the game engine with my key disk 128 gig for data server with SQLite, SQLobject, very goog for speed on memory hugh!!!

I want do that for multi zone server and much more in that way you can do backup and more goodies

with my testing, I will know if I can invest more money in Esenthel after I make the test I want, not the test suppose to be in your dream.

But I don’t know who you are, with my first post you completely stop me to ask a simple request.

I will not be the next creator of WoW
Bheurk

200k 500k per year that will be good for Mmo starter game.
04-12-2011 10:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

Quote:Yeah yeah I just want to test the game engine with my key disk 128 gig for data server with SQLite, SQLobject, very goog for speed on memory hugh!!!
What?

Quote:I want do that for multi zone server and much more in that way you can do backup and more goodies
This got nothing to do with SQLLite or MYSQL

Quote:with my testing, I will know if I can invest more money in Esenthel after I make the test I want, not the test suppose to be in your dream.
Why don't you try to implement SQLLite yourself then?

Quote:But I don’t know who you are, with my first post you completely stop me to ask a simple request.
Quote:SQLite3 is free and is for persistence on Mmo
I was just recommending him a better alternative than SQLLite when in use with MMO's

Quote:I will not be the next creator of WoW
Bheurk
200k 500k per year that will be good for Mmo starter game.
Again you seem to not be willing to read properly and you make it up as if I am attacking you or something, and we both know that you will not make the next WoW.
200k 500k Players is way out of SQLLite's league and though I doubt a starter game would ever reach even 50k players.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 10:22 PM by Zervox.)
04-12-2011 10:09 PM
llynx Offline

(04-12-2011 10:09 PM)Zervox Wrote:  
Quote:Yeah yeah I just want to test the game engine with my key disk 128 gig for data server with SQLite, SQLobject, very goog for speed on memory hugh!!!
What?
What?!
04-12-2011 10:18 PM
Nostre Offline

Quote:I was just recommending him a better alternative than SQLLite when in use with MMO's
Am not interested about Mysql or Sql or Oracle or Odbc
You got hour answer.

Perhaps after quote and quote you will stop and let’s Esenthel answer to my request.
About SQLite.

Thanks Yousmile
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 10:42 PM by Nostre.)
04-12-2011 10:38 PM
Dwight Offline

Implementing that should not be a problem to do so yourself.

After reading up on the SQLLite, it's good for a ridiculously low amount of players. I have to agree with Zervox. Use the express edition of Windows. As Microsoft has more developers, their software, "in general", is better developed.

And what exactly do you mean with 200k - 500k per year for an MMO starter game? Income or players?

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
04-13-2011 06:48 AM
Nostre Offline

Damn if I write again he will turn my writing against me again!
I was just asking Esenthel to put SQLite3 in the game engine because he was working on putting Mysql in it.

I didn’t answer the same thing to all of you (Do it yourself) when you where asking to put Mysql in the game engine.

I will speak don’t come to me and said I can do it, or something like you can do it by yourself because it’s childish and in a way this forum will never grow up.

You can make a big bad 2000 or 3000 on the same database with Mysql, Sql, but when this database will crash this will be 2000 or 3000 player complaining at the same time perhaps more.

Put more egg at the same place it’s more dangerous!

(The way I will do it)

2 or more Master server (hardware)(E(software)) who will drive the server, this will start, stop, load, backup, unload, everything that need to be done by a master server (old PC)

2 to 4 and more Server (hardware) depending on the population, each server will load 4 to 6 or 8 zone who become a data server of 200 player per zone or a little more.
Each zone can be transferred by the Master server from one server to another to avoid a crash, or to put more user on one zone I can elaborate on SQLite all the day, for now I would like to test each server with a datakey 128gig to test the speed and the backup, anyway it’s for testing purpose.

By the way this is an already tested Mmo concept working but Esenthel is more sophisticated in programation.

Something else, compatibility over Microsoft and Unix It’s very important to obtain better price on buying software when you talk server it’s big $$$.

Quote:And what exactly do you mean with 200k - 500k per year for an MMO starter game? Income or players?

What I was trying to say before he changes the sentence?
I was saying if I can make 100k 200k -500k money per year from a game I will be happy with this.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2011 06:58 PM by Nostre.)
04-13-2011 06:55 PM
Zervox Offline

(04-13-2011 06:55 PM)Nostre Wrote:  Damn if I write again he will turn my writing against me again!
I was just asking Esenthel to put SQLite3 in the game engine because he was working on putting Mysql in it.

I didn’t answer the same thing to all of you (Do it yourself) when you where asking to put Mysql in the game engine.

I will speak don’t come to me and said I can do it, or something like you can do it by yourself because it’s childish and in a way this forum will never grow up.

Ok, Now I really don't know if it's me your pointing the finger at, but anyways nothing good comes from bashing the community, when you yourself went babbling with words like HUGHHHRG! behurk and so on, and then starting to call me for example a liar.

Quote:You can make a big bad 2000 or 3000 on the same database with Mysql, Sql, but when this database will crash this will be 2000 or 3000 player complaining at the same time perhaps more.

This doesn't happen with SQLite? I hope you do know that it's just as easy to crash a SQLite database as with any other. if the Mysql database crashes at 2000-3000 users clearly there is something wrong with the code by who integrated it.

Quote:2 or more Master server (hardware)(E(software)) who will drive the server, this will start, stop, load, backup, unload, everything that need to be done by a master server (old PC)

2 to 4 and more Server (hardware) depending on the population, each server will load 4 to 6 or 8 zone who become a data server of 200 player per zone or a little more.

Each zone can be transferred by the Master server from one server to another to avoid a crash, or to put more user on one zone I can elaborate on SQLite all the day, for now I would like to test each server with a datakey 128gig to test the speed and the backup, anyway it’s for testing purpose.

By the way this is an already tested Mmo concept working but Esenthel is more sophisticated in programation.
This all goes under the term: Networking, it is not related to SQL.

This has already been done in almost every MMO(It's called load balancing and by itself got nothing to do with databases) made except for the use of SQLLite, by the way I am waiting for those links you had regarding those MMO's using SQLLite.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2011 07:39 PM by Zervox.)
04-13-2011 07:34 PM
llynx Offline

(04-12-2011 08:14 PM)Nostre Wrote:  Check another programmer said that MYSQL is to slow for MMO

I think you didn't catch what the author intended by that article if you're still supporting SQLite for game development.

Nostre, this forum prefers polite discussions/debates but you're clearly trolling and need to tone it down.

There isn't any credible evidence that SQLite would work well for developing a MMORPG due to the performance an mmo requires from its db. It is considered a "weak" dbms but is popular for being very lightweight.

If you don't think sql is the right way to go, use a object oriented dbms like berkely db.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2011 10:02 PM by llynx.)
04-13-2011 10:00 PM
Nostre Offline

Quote:Well when your work on it.
SQLite3 is free and is for persistence on Mmo, Android and on a lot of other brand name. Please check if you can put it in game engine at the same time it’s will be mush appreciatesmile
This was my first post in this forum

Quote:Nynx wrote
Nostre, this forum prefers polite discussions/debates but you're clearly trolling and need to tone it down.

You think am not polite?
I have pay for Esenthel but cannot ask a simple question on this forum without been disturb or quote!

I have pay for Esenthel can I use the DB I want and ask Esenthel the programer?

I want buy the other version at 700$ after the other at 4000$ but now am wondering where am I
04-14-2011 01:27 AM
llynx Offline

(04-12-2011 08:14 PM)Nostre Wrote:  Am testing on game engine since Runuo Nebula device… so why do I need to dispute this with you?

(04-13-2011 06:55 PM)Nostre Wrote:  -Damn if I write again he will turn my writing against me again!

-I will speak don’t come to me and said I can do it, or something like you can do it by yourself because it’s childish and in a way this forum will never grow up.
</trolling>

If you post on the public forum users are allowed to voice opinions/facts/references. Paying for Esenthel does not change whether you get community input or not. If you only want support straight from Esenthel buy the company/pro license and you'll get a higher level of support.

As for using the DB you want, Of course you can use the db you want! And who knows, if might work for you.

No one is stopping you, but we just think that particular DBMS isnt the best fit for the job, that's all.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2011 12:05 PM by llynx.)
04-14-2011 02:23 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I am thinking of adding mysql support. But sqlite at the moment is not considered. You can always try adding it yourself the API seems simple
04-14-2011 11:09 AM
Jben Offline

parfait ! smile
04-15-2011 12:23 AM