About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Materials in mesh editor?
dragonfly3 Offline

RE: Materials in mesh editor?
I was doing each individual part and using the arrows to switch each part. It is 164 parts because it has separate leaves. The leaves make up the bulk of the model. I can combine them all to create one part, yes, but I want to get the material to apply properly first.

The problem seems to be as Esenthel said-it is overwriting the gfx file. This seems to be occuring when the source texture file is in a different folder than the model. I tried to apply it with the source being in the same folder and it worked just fine so that is obviously what the problem is.

I've never had that issue before, though. When I apply materials to my models I often do it with source files in outside folders so that I can see what the materials look like before I decide on a particular one. It's a sort of test run. This way I could avoid lots of copy pasting (I have a large folder with tons of textures that I work with but I don't plan on using them all for my project). Once I've decided on a texture then I put the source file in the folder with the model and apply them permanently. Before this recent update I never had this problem with the .gfx files being overwritten when the source files are in a different folder. So now I know to copy them into the folder with the model when I test them.

Esenthel: Is it possible to allow for using the source files in separate folders without having this issue? It seemed to work before so I wonder if it can be done with this newer version?

Thanks everyone for the help. I gave myself a headache yesterday trying to figure out how to get it to work.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2010 07:20 PM by dragonfly3.)
12-22-2010 07:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:Esenthel: Is it possible to allow for using the source files in separate folders without having this issue? It seemed to work before so I wonder if it can be done with this newer version?
Yes, but in order for me to investigate, please let me know what paths did the files had?
full paths (c:\...)

1. mesh file
2. the 2 png/jpg textures (leaf and bark)
3. where did the new GFX files were being generated
4. where did you save the material files
5. your DataPath set through the Editor

Thanks
12-22-2010 08:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragonfly3 Offline

1. mesh file was at:
c:\documents and settings\Jennifer\my documents\my game\data\obj\plant\Tree\trees\date_201_nt\models

2. source files were jpg and png located at:
c:\documents and settings\Jennifer\my documents\my game\data\obj\plant\Tree\trees\date_201_nt\images\texture0.png (leaf)
c:\documents and settings\Jennifer\my documents\my game\data\obj\plant\Tree\trees\date_201_nt\images\texture0.jpg (bark)

3. The new GFX files were generated in the ..\images folder alongside the textures

4. I saved the material files at:
c:\documents and settings\Jennifer\my documents\my game\data\obj\plant\Tree\trees\date_201_nt\models

5. c:\documents and settings\Jennifer\my documents\my game\data

I also have a folder of textures that I use as well located at:
c:\documents and settings\Jennifer\my documents\hedron\textures

It saves the gfx files in this folder when I test the textures to see which ones I wish to use. When I have chosen them, I copy the textures I've chosen into the data\obj\<model related folder name> folder of my game, re-apply the textures, and save everything in that path (c:\documents and settings\Jennifer\my documents\my game\data\obj\<model related folder name>.

I haven't tested applying materials from the ..my documents\hedron\textures folder yet but am concerned I may run into the same problem.
12-22-2010 09:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

I see the problem!

c:\documents and settings\Jennifer\my documents\my game\data\obj\plant\Tree\trees\date_201_nt\images\texture0.png (leaf)
c:\documents and settings\Jennifer\my documents\my game\data\obj\plant\Tree\trees\date_201_nt\images\texture0.jpg (bark)

you have the same path, and the same file names
only extension is different

GFX files are generated by replacing the extension to GFX (texture0.jpg to texture0.gfx)

and I don't plan to change it

so both files generate texture0.gfx file

please rename your texture to something more sensible, like:
leaf.png
bark.jpg
12-22-2010 09:26 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

aha, ok. That makes sense. Thanks.

Also, where can I find the mapping ball, mapping plane, etc? I can't find it now.
12-22-2010 09:46 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Mesh\Texture Operations\Set Texture Mapping
12-22-2010 10:03 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

cool, got it. Thanks! smile
12-23-2010 02:08 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

Is there a way to reset the map plane and map ball to the original position and size?
12-24-2010 04:02 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

no
12-24-2010 04:07 AM