About Store Forum Documentation Contact

data save
ID0 Offline

data save
Why editors not have options ''save us'' and just "save", and dont ask:
"yes/no?" Because I've accidentally copied empty level on an almost finished, pressing the save instead of load.
It's a little uncomfortable smile
01-03-2011 04:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Masterxilo Offline

RE: data save
I also think there should be Save and Save As options.
Save = Overwrite (or save as if the file has never been saved)
Save As = Save (under new name)
01-03-2011 02:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ID0 Offline

Actually, that's what i mean. Well, like in all programs.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2011 02:58 PM by ID0.)
01-03-2011 02:56 PM
Tottel Offline

In favour. smile
01-03-2011 04:15 PM
llynx Offline

Aye.
01-03-2011 08:39 PM
Driklyn Offline

Not a bad idea, however, I'd say adding more space between the Save and Load shortcut keys would be better. This has been suggested before but I can't seem to find the post. Something like F2 for Save and F5 for Load would be good.

Also, you should consider using SVN so if this happens again, you can simply revert the changes and keep the losses to a minimum. I use Assembla with TortoiseSVN.
01-04-2011 06:31 AM
ID0 Offline

Yea, that's great, but what about subj?
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2011 01:37 AM by ID0.)
01-05-2011 01:32 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Please tell me if anyone would like or would not like:

1. additional menu option:
-Overwrite (Ctrl+F2)
-Reload (Ctrl+F3)

2. When standard saving using F2, window popup "file already exists, are you sure you want to overwrite?"
01-05-2011 04:47 PM
Dynad Offline

I like both

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
01-05-2011 04:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runewake2 Offline

I like both ideas. Stick them between Save and Load and you have made everyone happy!

Also make sure you have a simple "Are you Sure?" question with the Reload and Overwrite options or the same problem will persist with people overwriting or reloading their level.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2011 05:49 PM by runewake2.)
01-05-2011 05:34 PM
Driklyn Offline

I like both but I still say there's more benefit gained by adding space between the Save and Load shortcut keys.

Here's why:

Right now people are saving empty worlds onto pre-existing ones. If we make it so that there is a confirm overwrite dialog box when saving, this could indeed help this problem as the user would know that only saving (not loading) causes this dialog box to appear and would hit no instead of yes, realizing that they made the mistake of saving instead of loading.

Problem is, what if you make changes to your world and instead of pressing F2 to save, you press F3 on accident and then lose all the changes you made by loading your previously saved world instead of saving it? Basically, instead of people saying they accidentally saved an empty world onto their almost finished one, people are going to be saying they loaded their almost finished world onto their just finished one and lost all their changes.

The best way remedy this problem, in my opinion, is to just move Load to F5 instead of F3 as this would make it nearly impossible to accidentally save when you really meant to load (or the other way around).
01-05-2011 06:09 PM
ID0 Offline

Yes, i think too F2 and F5 will be nice. Also when just saving the world on F2 does not necessarily ask for, let it just saved over an existing one, we need only ask if "save as". Only new world can ask how to save. Something like this.
01-05-2011 06:50 PM