About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Improving the Editor
Demostenes2 Offline

RE: Improving the Editor
(12-13-2011 11:57 AM)yvanvds Wrote:  You could make an emtpy mesh, save it and import it as the last LOD.

Sure, but I prefer clean solution. BTW I am not sure if empty mesh does not generate drawcall anyway.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2011 01:45 PM by Demostenes2.)
12-13-2011 12:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
yvanvds Offline

I'm almost certain it will be called. Think about it: if the engine has to check every draw call before entering it, to see if something has to be drawn, that would be a lot of unnecessary checks since most of the meshes DO contain something.

If you just enter the draw call and exit rightaway because there's no mesh to draw, it will probably be faster.

If you really want to check, you can do it yourself in DrawPrepare(). But i don't think it will make a difference.
12-13-2011 03:51 PM
Demostenes2 Offline

Exactly. And having for example 400 drawcalls (even cheap ones) is wasting (with visibility 200+ is pretty easy to have such ammount of small objects in view). This is reason, why I like clean solutions and having this part of LOD system is logic and clean (btw I really like EE LOD system).
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2011 04:21 PM by Demostenes2.)
12-13-2011 04:20 PM
fatcoder Offline

Perhaps we should start new thread as a feature request for an option (in the LOD properties) to fade an object out at a certain distance. This is a pretty common technique in many games and would work that same way as how the grass currently works, by just fading. I've thought of this before but have never posted about it.

In fact it doesn't even need to be an option. It could be automatically done by the engine for all meshes based on their screen space size. Once a mesh uses up less than a certain amount of screen space (i.e. a few pixels) it is faded out. I've seen this technique used before. It is commonly used for determining the correct LOD for a terrain chunk for geomorphing terrain.
12-14-2011 12:27 AM
Demostenes2 Offline

(12-14-2011 12:27 AM)fatcoder Wrote:  In fact it doesn't even need to be an option. It could be automatically done by the engine for all meshes based on their screen space size. Once a mesh uses up less than a certain amount of screen space (i.e. a few pixels) it is faded out. I've seen this technique used before. It is commonly used for determining the correct LOD for a terrain chunk for geomorphing terrain.

Manual setup is better, because for example if i have building with 10 rooms, the biggest visibility is cca size of the room, but even small object is quite big on this quite small distance. On the other side this is case, when we should use oclussion. Anyway I always prefer manual control, it gives bigger flexibility.
I think this is very simple modification of LOD system, which can help a lot, especially because there is no OC system.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2011 09:19 AM by Demostenes2.)
12-14-2011 09:10 AM
yvanvds Offline

Then again, any serious sound artist would want at least sound oclussion, which openal doesn't provide. So he'd end up writing code to interface with FMOD anyway :-P
12-15-2011 08:38 AM
Demostenes2 Offline

(12-15-2011 06:56 AM)grogbro Wrote:  Its a daunting thing as an artist to have to get Visual Studio, edit the code, the compile just to get the ability to place an OBJ_SOUND into an environment.

Indeed it is.
12-15-2011 09:39 AM
b1s Offline

Lod fading would really be a nice addition.
12-15-2011 11:40 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

Something that I have been wishing to have for quite awhile is the ability to adjust the mouse speed. Esenthel's mouse speed overrides windows' mouse speed settings. The Esenthel mouse speed is very sensitive and very fast. It makes it extremely difficult to do very precise object placement as you can't move an object or scale an object by a hair. Just the slightest touch of the mouse and it moves a considerable amount of space and very fast. It makes it very difficult to do intricate object placement. So I would LOVE to see something that allows for mouse speed adjustment!smile

Also, This may sound petty but for me, at least, it would be very useful. I'd imagine others would find it useful, too.

When you select a group of objects (say a sconce, torch, and flame particle object) and insert them as a duplicate group of objects, it would be extremely helpful to be able to move the group, scale the group, and rotate the group all together at once as though it were a single object. Currently you can move the group but with very little control and you can't make it as precise as you can with a single object.

I prefer using the arrows and mouse to move, rotate, and scale my objects as opposed to entering numbers. It's just easier for me to place it more precisely. So being able to do this with a group of objects (like the sconce example) would help so I wouldn't have to move each individual object in the group.
12-17-2011 02:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

If you hold shift movement gets slower
12-17-2011 12:10 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

(12-17-2011 12:10 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  If you hold shift movement gets slower

Oh cool, I didn't know that! Thanksgrin
12-18-2011 03:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rollcage Offline

This is a small change which would make the world editor so much easier to navigate with the camera. When you hold down MMB in world editor the camera should rotate around it's own axis, not around the center of the screen axis. This would make moving around so much easier and accurate.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/857/wecamera.jpg/

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2011 04:10 PM by Rollcage.)
12-22-2011 04:07 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

you will have this after switching to fpp mode
12-22-2011 04:08 PM
Rollcage Offline

Oh much better thankyou
12-22-2011 04:11 PM
fatcoder Offline

Is there a way to speed up the camera movement in fpp mode? The default speed is way too slow and even with shift held down it is still way too slow, not to mention your hand starting to ache holding down shift all the time. There should be a setting somewhere that allows you to adjust the base speed. I personally would set it about 10x faster than what it currently is.
12-23-2011 12:06 AM