About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Spliting up Single Animation
Brad_Mclain Offline

Spliting up Single Animation
I am currently importing models from DAE format into model editor and the animations come in as one single animation.

I have a list of the keyframes for idle, run, etc of the animation, what is the easiest way to split up this animation? and is it even possible to split animations?
01-22-2011 12:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Spliting up Single Animation
there's option to clip keyframes in animation editor, through menu options
but generally it's recommended to export multiple animation files.
many animations in 1 file is archaic method.
01-22-2011 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dominoe Offline

correct me if i'm wrong, but esenthel has a 'smooth animation' feature which will blend two animations rather easily to help you in using multiple animations in a row.
01-22-2011 08:52 PM
Brad_Mclain Offline

I think my only option may be to try and trim to extract each part. Is there a way to get to a particular key-frame, or have the current frame listed instead of time?
01-22-2011 11:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

only thing is ctrl+left and ctrl+right
01-24-2011 01:56 AM
Brad_Mclain Offline

These shortcuts dont appear to be working for me.

It works fine using just left/right and shift left/right for advancing timeline but ctrl left/right doesn't appear to do anything.

Do I need to have something activated for it to work?
01-24-2011 02:22 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

it jumps to prev/next anim keframe, you need to have bone selected
01-24-2011 02:50 PM
Brad_Mclain Offline

Would there be any chance of adding a current frame indicator near the timeline indicator, as this would be extremely helpful for me.
01-24-2011 10:11 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

not at the moment, because the animation works differently, it's not frame based, it's time based. Try converting/splitting your anim in some external program.
Doesn't 3ds max support frame clipping?
01-24-2011 11:45 PM
Brad_Mclain Offline

I am getting the art made by a third party who believes it will be difficult to split the animations. His method has always been to export as a single long track.

So I either need to work out an easy way to split animations in esenthel or pay some more money to have him do the extra exporting (which I cannot afford).

I tried importing the DAE into 3ds max to attempt to split it there but no luck.
01-25-2011 12:22 AM
llynx Offline

(01-24-2011 10:11 PM)Brad_Mclain Wrote:  Would there be any chance of adding a current frame indicator near the timeline indicator, as this would be extremely helpful for me.

If you're going by frame # from 3DS Max and then referencing it to time in EE you can do

(Animation Length/Frames)*(The Frame you want) = EE Anim Time

Or you can rescale the animation so that the keyframes are positioned at regular intervals, e.g. re-scaling a 24fps animation so that each keyframe would be at 0.1s intervals etc so it would be easier to find esp in combined anims that are 1k+ frames in length.

But adding a keyframe indicator could be useful, so that say when you move the slider to a keyframe somewhere it would just indicate what "number" keyframe it is based on how many keyframes are before it? Could be handy!
01-25-2011 06:21 AM
Brad_Mclain Offline

(01-25-2011 06:21 AM)llynx Wrote:  (Animation Length/Frames)*(The Frame you want) = EE Anim Time

This is basically what I am doing at the moment, seems to be an acceptable workaround. Get position from calculation, do fine tuning by eye.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2011 06:25 AM by Brad_Mclain.)
01-25-2011 06:24 AM
Abril Offline

(01-25-2011 06:24 AM)Brad_Mclain Wrote:  
(01-25-2011 06:21 AM)llynx Wrote:  (Animation Length/Frames)*(The Frame you want) = EE Anim Time

This is basically what I am doing at the moment, seems to be an acceptable workaround. Get position from calculation, do fine tuning by eye.

I have the same issue and would be much better to do this by code automatically instead of doing manually... when you have several models and hundreds of animations each is gonna be very painful to do this manually...
I see that the Animation class has a member animationkeys with a "clip" function. So I imagine one could load the model within EE with the single long animation, get the animation, then clip the animationkeys to the desired range and call Animation::save.
Reload the original model with the single big animation and repeat until all animations have been clipped and re-exported.
Esenthel would that work / is it correct or is there something missing? Anyhingt else to look out for? Anybody else already tried this? Thx
11-25-2011 07:19 PM
Demostenes2 Offline

(01-25-2011 12:22 AM)Brad_Mclain Wrote:  I am getting the art made by a third party who believes it will be difficult to split the animations. His method has always been to export as a single long track.

Splitting of animation is no problem at all. And yes, single long animation is obsolete. Be glad, that engine forces you to do it right way smile
11-26-2011 01:08 AM
kulesz Offline

Forcing is worse, than having support for 2 systems.
A lot of models on the net still have only one animation.
It is also important, when you develop alone and don't have anyone to do graphics.
11-26-2011 11:54 AM