About Store Forum Documentation Contact

DX11 Water
runewake2 Offline

DX11 Water
I have noticed a lot of games adding the water ripple effects to their game. I know that DDO, WOW and a lot more have the effect. I curious if Esenthel could support this.

Example:
[Image: DX11.jpg]

Also, just a suggestion for the forum, can you make images that are larger than they should be resize to a smaller version (displaying the full size version on click). I have noticed a lot of large screens that have done weird things to the forum pages.
01-22-2011 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: DX11 Water
yeah, in time I'll add something like this.
about image sizes, don't really know where I could change that.
01-22-2011 02:48 PM
Barthap Offline

You can install something like "MyBB LightBox" or similliar.
01-22-2011 05:39 PM
runewake2 Offline

Thanks Esenthel. Hope it is added soon.

As far as the images there is probably some sort of javascript or something that will resize any image that is too large. I know the GMC uses something similar. I don't think you need to worry about this, I just think it would make posts easier to read (since the text then goes off the screen as well).
01-23-2011 02:25 AM
llynx Offline

Even without the ripple effect our water still looks much much better than that ;D
01-23-2011 04:01 AM
runewake2 Offline

Yes I agree llynx however i would like the ripple's and waves that this water has. It makes it look more real and less just flat and "blah".
01-23-2011 06:42 AM
baphomeh Offline

i would love the most if esenthel adapted the open source (i hope/assume) "Hydrax" system used in OGRE http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Hydrax
02-07-2011 06:33 AM
llynx Offline

(02-07-2011 06:33 AM)baphomeh Wrote:  i would love the most if esenthel adapted the open source (i hope/assume) "Hydrax" system used in OGRE http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Hydrax

0.0 beautiful!

(01-23-2011 06:42 AM)runewake2 Wrote:  Yes I agree llynx however i would like the ripple's and waves that this water has. It makes it look more real and less just flat and "blah".

You can make splash animations and do some nifty work to make it look somewhat realistic atm.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2011 07:36 AM by llynx.)
02-07-2011 07:32 AM
runewake2 Offline

I support adding Hydrax. Looks cool.

I know that I can add some splashes and stuff but it would be cool to add some wakes when my guy runs through the water.
02-07-2011 04:12 PM
Dynad Offline

I think that can be fixed with the current EE Shaders aswell tho, adding extra 3rd party libraries is not always the best option.

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
02-07-2011 04:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chris Offline

Yeah, a merge of the .hlsl hydrax shaders with the current EE water would be nice, get the advantages of both.
02-07-2011 04:29 PM
baphomeh Offline

(02-07-2011 04:29 PM)Chris Wrote:  Yeah, a merge of the .hlsl hydrax shaders with the current EE water would be nice, get the advantages of both.

I like the various little things in the Hydrax water (especially the little bits and blobs of lighter colored blue near beaches. I suppose this si just the shaders, but I also like that Hydrax has lots of options.

With all the great coders here it shouldn't be that hard to have a system of sliders and checkboxes for the water as seen in Hydrax.
02-07-2011 06:16 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

yeah, looks nice smile I'll look at it closer in free time.
02-07-2011 06:32 PM
runewake2 Offline

Thanks Esenthel!
02-07-2011 06:53 PM
Chris Offline

Thanks! The one thing hydrax could be improved on though (as well as interactive water) would be foamy beach waves when in contact with land (above the caustics). Even better, overlapping displaced waves. And having larger+slower waves in deeper waters (some multiplier).

Edit: As discussed briefly: http://archive.gamedev.net/reference/art...le2642.asp
With a provided shader: http://downloads.gamedev.net/features/pr...shader.zip (again in .hlsl [don't be fooled by their extension])
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2011 08:13 PM by Chris.)
02-07-2011 07:54 PM