About Store Forum Documentation Contact

World Editor - Feature requests
Dynad Offline

World Editor - Feature requests
Hey,

Can there a option be added in the World Editor that makes it possible to mirror objects? so that way i can easy build rooms without the need to build 2 models for 1 object in Max.

Thnx,
~Dynad
Update 1:

When i have 1 object selected in the World Editor and i push insert to place the same object in the scene can you make it that the object is placed on the same height?

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2011 10:51 PM by Dynad.)
02-06-2011 05:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynad Offline

RE: World Editor - Model Mirror
Update 2:

Clicking on objects in the World Editor doesn't always work, i have to move my mouse around an object to get it selected. This is pretty annoying, i want wherever i select a object mesh it gets selected. If you have many objects in a scene this can turn in a horror...

02-06-2011 06:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Barthap Offline

About Update 2:
Do you use in model editor Mesh->Transform->Center (with physBody) ? It helps me
02-06-2011 06:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynad Offline

Its already centered in 3dMax, so in the model editor aswell. And when i turn on the object center points.. all points are centered correctly.

02-06-2011 07:00 PM
Driklyn Offline

(02-06-2011 05:13 PM)Dynad Wrote:  Can there a option be added in the World Editor that makes it possible to mirror objects? so that way i can easy build rooms without the need to build 2 models for 1 object in Max.

Negative scaling could be used for this.

(02-06-2011 05:13 PM)Dynad Wrote:  When i have 1 object selected in the World Editor and i push insert to place the same object in the scene can you make it that the object is placed on the same height?

Turn off Heightmap Aligning (Ctrl + H).

(02-06-2011 06:29 PM)Dynad Wrote:  Clicking on objects in the World Editor doesn't always work, i have to move my mouse around an object to get it selected. This is pretty annoying, i want wherever i select a object mesh it gets selected. If you have many objects in a scene this can turn in a horror...

Object Matrix Points (P) and Object Center Points (Shift + P) is actually how objects are selected. If your mouse is within a certain radius of either of these two points (based off of how far your camera is away from the object), you can select that object. Turn both of these on to get a better idea of where to select your objects.

I'll admit though, this is ineffective with many nearby or overlapping objects in the scene. If these two points were to overlap, you would only be able to select the object that was the most recently inserted. To get to the non-selectable object, you would have to first move the selectable object out of the way.
02-06-2011 07:56 PM
Dynad Offline

1: Dunno how that works.. negative in the object manager doesn't work, or the button scale.. it turns just flat.

2: Yea that works.

3: Yes well all my objects are the same as the standard Human model, so i guess its not on my side. While im building my scene and i need to change something e.g between walls, or i want to replace it with a door its way to hard to select 1. Is this a raycast limitation? not sure about that :/

But anyway thnx for the help smile

02-06-2011 08:06 PM
Driklyn Offline

1. Yeah, that was just a suggestion for Esenthel. You can't even put negative numbers as the scale right now.

3. Well right now, the best you can do is zoom the camera in and rotate it around trying to get the best angle on the object so you can select it easier. I would also try switching to just 1 viewport instead of 4, if that's what you're using now.

Maybe there should be a way to hide objects. If an object is in your way of selecting another object, you just select that object, hide it, and then select the object you were trying to select. Then, once you are done, you show the hidden object again.
02-06-2011 08:31 PM
Dynad Offline

3: Yea i use 1 viewport, alot easier to see things. That hiding part would be nice to have.. now you can only hide all statics or show and that doesn't help much. But i think the select tool needs a fix that wherever u select on the mesh it gets selected like you have in UDK.

02-06-2011 08:53 PM
Driklyn Offline

(02-06-2011 08:53 PM)Dynad Wrote:  But i think the select tool needs a fix that wherever u select on the mesh it gets selected like you have in UDK.

Yeah, being able to select objects based on their polygons would probably help in most cases.
02-06-2011 10:24 PM
Dynad Offline

Update 3:

I really like that the lights have some kind of a light bulb object/image so u can see in the editor where the lights are placed now they are just invisible and hard to see/select them.

Image included as example smile

Attached File(s) Image(s)

02-06-2011 10:50 PM
Seba Offline

RE: World Editor - Feature requests
Why not to put some sample mesh to see where the light is, you don't have to render it?
02-06-2011 11:22 PM
Dynad Offline

With the light? well that doesn't work it just applies the distortion on the light but the mesh itself wont be rendered.

02-06-2011 11:28 PM
Seba Offline

It doesn't work, sorry my mistake . I checked it now.
02-06-2011 11:38 PM
Dynad Offline

Update 4:

I want to place decals on meshes e.g floors... its pretty cool to add some oil stuff on the floor etc. Now it works only on the terrain.

02-06-2011 11:43 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

1. mirroring won't work because normals would get flipped and faces reversed (try scale model in Model Editor with x=-1, y=1, z=1 you'll see how it gets rendered)
it would require making a copy of the model, so in either case you need to have 2 models.

2. ill add selecting objects by faces to roadmap

3. decals - do you mean decals or mesh overlays? on what objects do you apply them? (type/access) please post screen.
02-10-2011 06:44 PM