About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Catching up with other engines
Dynad Offline

Catching up with other engines
Hey,

Esenthel can't you start after the code editor on some Rendering updates? Ive got the feeling that the engine has stand still for awhile now. Like to other engines they are implementing improved volumetric shadow, global illumination, realtime radiosity, translucency objects, shader editor, improved water, displacement mapping and so on.

This makes the engine alot more interesting to new developers. I know you are very busy but still i think this gives EE more shape to an high end engine. Like in our project we are focusing on professional environment design which needs the latest rendering functionality out there..

An example is when i add more then 10 lights in the scene with shadow on, fps will drop around 20 which is not acceptable for this century of gaming.

Next to that, CryEngine and UDK got some nice lightning effects which will be awesome in EE.
http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/presenta...ryengine-3
http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/cryengin...lumination

Thnx,
~Dynad

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
02-23-2011 04:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
llynx Offline

RE: Catching up with other engines
(02-23-2011 04:35 PM)Dynad Wrote:  An example is when i add more then 10 lights in the scene with shadow on, fps will drop around 20 which is not acceptable for this century of gaming.

(Yeah I noticed this too, lighting isn't very efficient with shadows on atm.)

The issue here is also that other engines have dozens employees backing the development process of their engine whereas we have one pro behind ours. This make progress a tad bit slow but what Esenthel has achieved so far is quite remarkable.

I think that a polished code editor will be a very attractive feature.
And everything else you've mentioned is on the to-do list. But I think the current todo list is probably the best.

Code Editor->Crucial Editor Improvements->More/More efficient special effects

I guess we'll see after the Code Editor is finished! Right now just sit-wait and support!
02-23-2011 06:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chris Offline

(02-23-2011 06:04 PM)llynx Wrote:  The issue here is also that other engines have dozens employees backing the development process of their engine whereas we have one pro behind ours. This make progress a tad bit slow but what Esenthel has achieved so far is quite remarkable.

*Agrees*

I also agree that the code editor is great for newcomers to setup, and perhaps for adding gameplay elements. But I think that after some basic form of code editor is complete (hopefully soon), the roadmap could be improved to catch more clients, from a "Whoah, this engine is beautiful! And cheap!" perspective.

E.G. something like this:

.pdf  roadmap.pdf (Size: 248.57 KB / Downloads: 27)

(not necessarily exactly that order), but you get the picture.
02-23-2011 06:28 PM
llynx Offline

Exactly, bigger clients (one who would buy a company/professional license) would see that roadmap and know that new, pretty things are on their way.

While newcomers will start with the new code editor and not have any issues starting development and will, more quickly than now, purchase a personal license. (I would assume much of Esenthel's revenue comes from the personal licensing) And with (potentially) event scripting this would attract many people with little to no coding knowledge to purchase a personal license.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2011 08:59 PM by llynx.)
02-23-2011 08:55 PM