About Store Forum Documentation Contact

numerous questions about Esenthel
nfries88 Offline

numerous questions about Esenthel
I'm in contact with someone looking for a programmer who wants to use Esenthel to make an MMO, so I naturally have some questions.

First, Linux is usually the preferred system for hosting any sort of online service. I see that Mac and iOS are supported, but no mentions to Linux or the BSD variants. Are these supported?

Second, I don't see any specific mentions of how the threading models actually work for specific parts of the engine. Does the physics engine make use of worker threads? How about pathfinding? Concurrent computations make for significantly faster operations, when done correctly.

Also, I don't see any references to the networking model. Does this use asynchronous I/O, or is it your basic thread-per-connection model? Also, does it use non-blocking I/O on supported systems; like IOCP on Windows, epoll on Linux, and kqueue on BSD variants and Mac? If so, can file loaders be made to make use of these features too?

I'll probably have more questions later, but these are the big ones.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2011 02:41 AM by nfries88.)
03-12-2011 02:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: numerous questions about Esenthel
Linux is not considered at the moment. Windows servers prices are comparable to Linux. Yes physics is multi threaded. Path finding not.
Esenthel mmo server uses one thread for all non blocking connections
03-13-2011 08:27 AM
rndbit Offline

RE: numerous questions about Esenthel
for the server engine is not mandatory. we have our game running with server that has no connection to esenthel engine whatsoever, so you can make any OS supported for your server software.

Regarding networking model -you also are not bound to esenthel api to implement networking. Again we use our own network layer implementation based on winsock.
03-13-2011 01:37 PM