About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Performance boost
Hemi Offline

RE: Performance boost
Well, that's what I call an answer, thanks smile!

You could look at particles performance - I've noticed significant fps drop when they are near to the camera. Also lights put on map in Editor (LGT_PNT, if I remember correctty (I'm a graphic wink ) seem to work slow. If it can be adjusted to be more efficient give us a tip smile

I think you could create a thread where you would ask developers what would they find useful in some features (like Special Effects Editor). Discussion about it could be productive smile
03-24-2011 07:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chris Offline

(03-24-2011 07:25 PM)Hemi Wrote:  I think you could create a thread where you would ask developers what would they find useful in some features (like Special Effects Editor). Discussion about it could be productive smile

Made a thread in offtopic for follow up discussions to a special effects editor, for people to share thoughts.
03-24-2011 09:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
llynx Offline

(03-24-2011 07:25 PM)Hemi Wrote:  Well, that's what I call an answer, thanks smile!

You could look at particles performance - I've noticed significant fps drop when they are near to the camera. Also lights put on map in Editor (LGT_PNT, if I remember correctty (I'm a graphic wink ) seem to work slow. If it can be adjusted to be more efficient give us a tip smile

I think you could create a thread where you would ask developers what would they find useful in some features (like Special Effects Editor). Discussion about it could be productive smile

From my experiment, it has directly to do with the number of elements within a particle. A simple enclosed scene with 1 light producing particle that has 5 elements gave me about 80fps. While 1 light producing particle with 50 elements gave me about 20fps.
03-24-2011 09:39 PM
Hemi Offline

Yes, number of particles is very important, but, sometimes, larger amount of them must be used to look good (eg. smoke from a rocket). Well, if I am talking about that I may ask - what is the best way to create smudges? I think using particles is not the best thing to do. May this be expanding quad with texture? Is it possible to be done on EE?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZn1bkEU9...ure=relmfu - 1:08 - smudges during explosion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-yhX3f_xkg - look at sparks - in current Particle editor it's very hard to position them right. EE - when you will be developing SEE please have it on mind smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7U3aknCa...re=related - stop at 0:59. Smudges from bullets.

Having some support for such effects in EE would be great smile
03-24-2011 10:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

(03-22-2011 10:49 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  Investigating improving performance is on my roadmap, but not soon!

*SDK update with possible performance improvements two days later.* grin
03-25-2011 09:41 AM
Nethrix Offline

I have been following esenthel closely for about a year, and although, i agree that esenthel requires decent hardware. compared to other engines, even udk / unreal engine, it has huge positives.

My reason for ignoring my perceived performance issues is because, right now the graphics in esenthel, the tool set, and pretty much all parts ive test are stunning. and by the time ive developed a product that is worth distributing, technology that currently runs esenthel well, will become common hardware specs.

My current specs are as follows - retrieved from the benchmark:
Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz ATI Radeon HD 5670 1920x1080 27 1.0

now, firstly this is a budget card, and it cost me about 70 pounds. secondly, my pc is about 2 to 3 years out of date compare to current technology.

to run the benchmark at 27 fps at 1080p i think is dissapointing because obviously i wanted my card to perform higher, but on the grand scale of things, its pretty silly to assume all users will be running at 1080p. At 1280 x 720 i get 55fps which i think is pretty fair.

Considering my rig i dont think this is too bad.

Now, i cant say ive had any lengthy exposure to esenthel but honestly, if even from a shallow view point of attractive graphics (im a cheap graphics whore) and a huge amount of freedom (due to c++) i think this is a good deal. and if i could pick up enough understanding of c++ quickly enough, id probably be using it already for my game project. =]

I currently use Neoaxis(c#), and have lots of positive things to say about it, but in terms of graphics and processing, you get what you pay for(hardware requirements). esenthel wins hands down.

This is just my opinion as i have been following this thread.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2011 09:48 PM by Nethrix.)
03-25-2011 09:44 PM
Koniu Offline

New lights are very good. Thanks.
03-26-2011 01:00 AM