About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Heightmap Mesh Problem - Irregular Shapes
Nox_A15 Offline

Heightmap Mesh Problem - Irregular Shapes
Hello,

I've observed recently strange things with the heightmap mesh. I think pictures will show everything clearly, but feel free to ask for more details if needed.

Almost all pictures show map, that was converted into smaller blocks with more heightmap points and path points in it. This may be the reason why connections between blocks are so irregular (look - "Connection" pictures). Last two images - "Mesh" and "Mesh 2" are from another heightmap.

What's most important for me - there are more and more bugs in the ground, like cut from regular heightmap (look - "Bug" pictures). Also strange lines show up on the edges of the blocks (look - "Line" pictures) but those disappear when I use smaller field of view and refresh the blocks (move around and make them reappear).

I'm not sure if all of these are bugs but they make working with the world editor a little bit unpleasant.

Thanks in advance for help,
Adam

Attached File(s)
.zip  Mesh bugs.zip (Size: 494.75 KB / Downloads: 9)
03-22-2011 12:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runewake2 Offline

RE: Heightmap Mesh Problem - Irregular Shapes
Things like this have happened before. Have you updated the Esenthel and not copied the new Data folder?
03-22-2011 01:05 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

"bug" may appear sometimes due to terrain optimization (mesh simplifaction), please make some small adjustment to the terrain where the issue occurs (move up/down) it should solve the problem
03-22-2011 11:21 AM
Nox_A15 Offline

Thanks for quick response. I've just updated to the newest version (my last one was from this month, so not so old) with deletion of unnecessary files chosen and then copied there all files from backup of my data folder, except "Enum" folder and "engine.pak". Please correct me if I'm doing it wrong.

I've done some more testing, but still the same issues appear. Bugs are also present when I create a new map and make a few quick mountains (look - picture "12"). Rest of the pictures show problems on my old map. There are a lot of them and I'm almost sure there wasn't such problems before (I'm working on it for some time). I hope they will help in some way, because for me it means that "mesh simplification" isn't working properly (especially those really long polygons). Mesh after compilation looks like a huge mess, should it be like this?

PS
Is there a way to check the editor's version number I'm working on?

Attached File(s)
.zip  screenshots.zip (Size: 527.23 KB / Downloads: 5)
03-22-2011 04:13 PM
Nox_A15 Offline

I don't understand the recent silence in the topic. If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know. If there really is a problem with mesh simplification, then please - give us an option to skip it or choose the level of detail of the terrain.

I've just downloaded newest version of the Editor and the issue is still there. I've just created new, small map, with few ups and downs. I attach the results below. Unfortunately on bigger maps there are too many of those bugs and even if I would want to fix it manually, your solution with adjusting small changes in such places don't work at all. It creates new artifacts.

I work with your mesh editor for some time now and it always was a lot of fun. Mostly because it gives great tools to quickly create interesting results. Please don't ignore this issue.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

03-31-2011 06:00 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

im not ignoring, I have lots of other work. please send me your world from the screens above, ill check this in the future.
04-01-2011 09:34 AM
Nox_A15 Offline

Sorry, that was rude from my side. I attach the map below.

Attached File(s)
.zip  test.world.zip (Size: 887.05 KB / Downloads: 3)
04-01-2011 10:48 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

thanks! I'll look into this once I find some free time
04-02-2011 01:05 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I've managed to improve the simplification algorithm (will be in next SDK)
04-04-2011 08:49 PM
Nox_A15 Offline

That's great, thank you! smile
04-04-2011 08:57 PM