About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Importing Materials for use on terrain
ShadeofGrey Offline

Importing Materials for use on terrain
Hi, I have recently tried out Esenthel Engine, and have come to love it after having a difficult time with C4 Engine. I've been looking around the forums for help on importing models, and textures, but have not found any topics yet.

I am basically trying to import new materials, and can't seem to find a place where I can do so. Also, I'd like to know what format I can import such as jpg, bmp, tga, etc.

Do I need a standalone program to create the material and .gfx files? If so, which ones.

Is there a way to generate normal maps, alpha's, or any other type of texture that I would need within Esenthel Engine? Currently, C4 engine supports such feature, just wondering if such tool would be available here.
07-06-2009 06:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
uffo Offline

Re: Importing Materials for use on terrain
oh! oh! I can answer this one!
for creating new materials you have to open Mesh Editor and then select Materials, next open Material Edit and in this window click "new", now drag the textures (colormap, bump map, normal map, alpha etc.) to the corresponding boxes. Mesh Editor automatically creates the .gfx files and then you can save this new material and it's ready to use in World Editor.

You can create normal maps with the Image Converter if you have already a bump map (or vice verse).
It's a bit tricky pipeline, but you'll get the hang of it. hope this helped.
(all this is mentioned in the manual in your SDK folders)
07-06-2009 09:30 AM
Sarora Offline

this was also mentioned in the topic "Chaplain's game questions" like 2-3 topics down..

and, in the documentation (read it !! it also has special needs for naming of image files).

Sys: Intel Quad @3.4 Ghz, ATI HD 5770 OC Ed (pri), NVIDIA 8800 Ultra (PhysX), 4 Gig Ram, 3.8 TB total HDD.
07-06-2009 12:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chaplaindm Offline

Shadeofgray,

Here is a quick tutorial I made on impoerint mesh.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Df7g6K-z8">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Df7g6K-z8</a><!-- m -->

It should give you a good start. HOWEVER, I am pretty new to this so there are probably a lot of mistakes.

Chaplain
07-07-2009 10:46 PM
ShadeofGrey Offline

Thanks for the video, that's been very helpful.
07-09-2009 09:42 AM
Chaplaindm Offline

No problem, hopefully it will give you a good starting place! One of my desires as a new game designer is to create a full basic tutorial series creating a 1st person RPG from beginning to end. So it is good practice.

Chaplain
07-09-2009 02:00 PM