About Store Forum Documentation Contact

AutoRun Feature on Updater
runewake2 Offline

AutoRun Feature on Updater
It would be nice if a "Update On Start" option existed in the Esenthel Updater. This way you could stick this in your Startup files and it would simply check every time your computer started for updates. Then it would either close on update finish or pop up with a message saying something like "An Update For Esenthel Engine is being installed" it would then update and close the program afterward.

The only problem I see with this is that you might not know if the engine updated and might run into a few people failing to copy the files to their game folder but otherwise this would be nice.
04-07-2011 04:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Truelegend Offline

RE: AutoRun Feature on Updater
It will be good but if this will have option to switch on/off
04-07-2011 04:09 PM
runewake2 Offline

That would be my suggestion. A simple check box that saves itself would work fine.
04-07-2011 04:20 PM
Truelegend Offline

Yeah it will be good.
04-07-2011 04:43 PM
fatcoder Offline

Don't take this the wrong way... but I don't think that is a very good idea. Something like EE, you need to know when you are updating it as updates can break things. In addition, if you have multiple projects on the go, you need to update each of them individually and check things as you go. Long story short, updating your engine is a critical process that I would never want automated for me.
04-08-2011 12:06 AM
Driklyn Offline

^^ Agreed.
04-08-2011 08:53 AM
Dwight Offline

(04-08-2011 12:06 AM)fatcoder Wrote:  Don't take this the wrong way... but I don't think that is a very good idea. Something like EE, you need to know when you are updating it as updates can break things. In addition, if you have multiple projects on the go, you need to update each of them individually and check things as you go. Long story short, updating your engine is a critical process that I would never want automated for me.

Therefore it is an option.

Updating the Engine sooner or later has to happen. Some of us do it at the same second, spamming F5 awaiting an update, others will do it perhaps a couple of days after. No one is running around with an off-to-date Esenthel, since that would be stupid.

When starting the Engine, I however would agree with a box: "There is an Update Available", "Do you wish to download and install now?"

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
04-08-2011 12:26 PM
runewake2 Offline

I agree with Dwight. A simple message that pops up like the Windows messages that say "Your Computer is unsecure" and "**********.exe has finished downloading" etc. Just something that would pop up and say "An update to Esenthel Engine is availible". Even if it was something added to the editor that would check for an update and run the updater if it was needed.

I find myself forgetting to update and runnin an out of date engine just seems, well, silly.
04-08-2011 04:57 PM
rndbit Offline

blind update is a good way to make yourself more problems. no sane man would want to do that. imo implementing of such feature would be second biggest wasted time example i have seen in esenthel (first one is code editor hoho)
04-08-2011 07:38 PM
Dandruff Offline

All of the changes are listed... and how would a feature that YOU wouldn't use make it useless, a waste of time? Besides, it's not like this would take more than a minute to add in so i don't really know what you're trying to say.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2011 02:08 AM by Dandruff.)
04-09-2011 01:58 AM
Dwight Offline

(04-08-2011 07:38 PM)rndbit Wrote:  blind update is a good way to make yourself more problems. no sane man would want to do that. imo implementing of such feature would be second biggest wasted time example i have seen in esenthel (first one is code editor hoho)

Again, it is not a blind update, since it is an OPTION. It just reminds you that there is an update available. You can choose whether you want to update or not.

What it basically does is, putting the AutoUpdater in the editor. Next, you can have an option "Would you like to check on every startup for an update"? Which can be answered yes or no, and you can even, from the main menu, start the autoupdater manually.

Given this explanation, I cannot understand your post. It is just putting some more flexibility in the editor, just like the code editor.

"hoho merry christmas".

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
04-09-2011 12:23 PM
rndbit Offline

thats not what first post says. but given what you said - yes, some tooltip informing about new version would not hurt, but again i personally see no need for that. checking forum works just fine for me.
04-09-2011 05:31 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

Personally, I like the idea of the update option-just a simple little pop-up like adobe acrobat and other programs do to let you know there is an update available. I myself don't get on the forum every day. I also work on my project 8-12 hours a day plus managing it...and have a busy real life outside of it. I am very often so engrossed in my work that I simply forget or just don't have time to check the forum for updates. I do around the first of each month because I know there are usually monthly updates but the rest throughout the month I may never know about because I haven't been on the forums or ran into a problem that an update may fix.

It may seem trivial to some people but for me it would be a great convenience giving me one less task to have to worry about remembering to do.
04-09-2011 06:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply