About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Noob particle question
dragonfly3 Offline

Noob particle question
I'm new to the whole particle creation thing so please bare with me wink

I want to have a static model that eminates particles around it. This is what I've done so far to create it:

Created my model in the model editor
Clicked on the "Particle" button
Created my particle & set all of the settings
Set "Mesh" for source
Saved

Now, when I switch to the world editor, how do I insert my model with the embedded particles so it looks and acts just as it does in the model editor?

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 01:27 AM by dragonfly3.)
04-09-2011 05:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragonfly3 Offline

RE: Noob particle question
I've searched everywhere for a tutorial-the wiki, forum, website, & even youtube and haven't found anything. Is this something that needs to be done on the programming side? If so, how do I place both the particle effect & the mesh in the world properly so that it will work correctly?
04-10-2011 04:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello,

Yes, currently if you need Mesh as source, then you need to setup the mesh source in codes manually.
04-10-2011 10:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragonfly3 Offline

Ok thanks. So do I place both the mesh & the particle in the world or just the mesh with the particle parameter?
04-10-2011 01:46 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

that depends what kind of game class does your programmer use.
04-10-2011 02:07 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

I'll have to ask and find out. Thanks
04-10-2011 03:46 PM
fatcoder Offline

Create an obj for the mesh and add a String parameter to it the specifies the name of the particle system to use. Then in code, your custom obj class can read in the parameter and load the correct particle system for that mesh.
04-11-2011 02:03 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

aaah, ok, now I understand. Thank you fatcoder smile
04-11-2011 09:04 PM
Kobaltic Offline

We added in a particle and called it base.obj. There is a parameter named teleport. However when we load the world it says Param teleport not found in object.

Teleport 1.world loads just fine. I doubled checked and all the settings look the same as the fire particle in teleport 1.world. Any ideas on why it is saying the param isn't there when it is there?

Thanks
04-23-2011 02:03 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

(04-23-2011 02:03 AM)Kobaltic Wrote:  We added in a particle and called it base.obj. There is a parameter named teleport. However when we load the world it says Param teleport not found in object.

Teleport 1.world loads just fine. I doubled checked and all the settings look the same as the fire particle in teleport 1.world. Any ideas on why it is saying the param isn't there when it is there?

Thanks

We've been trying to fix this problem and now here is where we are at now...
I changed the particle base to 0.obj and now the world loads but particles are not showing up. The settings are identical to the teleport1.world & they show up in that one, but not in ours. Any ideas why?
04-24-2011 01:18 AM
Dandruff Offline

see if 0.obj is in the correct place ie: YourProjet\data\obj\particles\fire\0.obj - i guess if its not in the right place the game won't load but check anyways.
04-24-2011 02:37 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

They're in the correct place. I'm at a loss. :/ without the particles showing up in the world we can't get the teleport to work.
04-24-2011 03:41 AM
Dandruff Offline

how are you rendering the particles?

if you are not rendering the particles make sure you set the obj type in game:;world init()

.setObjType(ObjParticles,OBJ_PARTICLES)
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2011 06:50 AM by Dandruff.)
04-24-2011 06:36 AM
Kobaltic Offline

They are set correctly in init.

If I load teleport 1.world into my code, it works just fine. You see the particles and you can teleport to teleport 2.world and back and forth.

If I change teleport 1.world to myGame.world the particles are not showing and you can not teleport.
04-24-2011 11:18 AM
Dynad Offline

Are you sure have added those parameters to the teleport particle?

Particles -> fire.particle
teleport -> World/mygame2.world.

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
04-24-2011 11:34 AM