About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Noob particle question
Kobaltic Offline

RE: Noob particle question
I just made 2 quick worlds with just fire and ice and everything worked just fine. We must of missed a setting or something on our actual game world.
04-24-2011 11:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragonfly3 Offline

I created my own particle in the particle editor called teleport.particle.
I placed it in the world with the base as obj/particle/ice/0.obj.
I set it as OBJ_PARTICLE.
I added the parameters:
particle teleport.particle (the box is checkmarked to override the ice.particle)
teleport mygame2.world

I compared a screenshot of the EE teleport world particle settings to mine & they are identical. The only difference between mine & EE's is I'm using a particle I created & he uses one he created. The second difference is that my particle source is set to mesh. His is set to ball.

Regardless of the teleport particles, I also placed EE's fire particles in the world with no teleport, just as a visual, and it isn't showing up either. They both show up in the world editor play mode but not when we launch the game.
04-24-2011 01:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dandruff Offline

try to render the particles out manually Advanced\2 - Animation, Physics, Rendering\Rendering\15 - Particles.cpp
04-24-2011 05:52 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

I took screenshots to show what is going on. You can see that the particles show up in the editor in the first screenshots. I am showing one with a custom particle & one with the EE ice particle (which is what we have set to show up in the game).
Custom particle with particle settings (this particle base is set to "mesh" however it just appears as a fountain of particles) in world editor:

EE ice particle with particle settings in world editor:

EE fire particle with particle settings in world editor:

When you test play via the world editor AND when you actually run the game this is what you see (no particles at all):

I have updated the visible part of the world multiple times and done a full clean all build all several times in an attempt to correct the problem.

When we use the EE teleport1.world instead of our own mygame.world file the fire particle shows up. The particle settings are identical to ours. The only thing that has changed is the .world file. Any ideas why they are not showing up in our world but do show up in the EE world? We have been wracking our brains for weeks on this, trying to fix it and just can't seem to get anywhere.
04-26-2011 05:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Seba Offline

I made changes to tutorial with teleport.
I add particle tu Static class, and change ParticleObj class. Here are the file. I can walk into the teleport and i will be moved to next map. You need to add particle to model as an object.
[Image: particleweee.th.jpg]
If you run this code you get something like that:
[Image: particleee1.th.jpg]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
[Image: particleee.th.jpg]
File:

Attached File(s)
.rar  03 - Multiple Worlds.rar (Size: 4.77 KB / Downloads: 9)
04-26-2011 11:33 PM
Seba Offline

I made some updates. Now It should work better and you can use Statics class to other static object not only to teleports and Particle class to all objParticle.
You need add in WE to your mesh:
Quote:Bool isPart true
If don't find isPart this will be false and you get Static object.
If don't find teleport it will Particle Object no teleport.
Then add:
Quote:addObject->ParticleObj
You must edit it like particle to teleport:
Quote:String particles particle/fire.particle
String teleport World/teleport 2.world
[Image: particleee3.th.jpg]
From play:
[Image: particleee2.th.jpg]
1) Particle Object
2) Static mesh with particle and teleport
3) Particle with teleport
Movie:
http://vimeo.com/22937344
New file:

Attached File(s)
.rar  03 - Multiple Worlds.rar (Size: 5.49 KB / Downloads: 12)
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2011 01:02 PM by Seba.)
04-27-2011 12:04 PM
dylantan Offline

Nice work. Since we in the discussion of Particle Effects, I would like to ask (forgive if its noob) but could we use 3rd party particle effects such as Pyro Particle Editor or TimelineFX Editor to replace the existing building Esenthel particle editor? Would it work?
05-08-2011 09:58 AM
Dwight Offline

(05-08-2011 09:58 AM)dylantan Wrote:  Nice work. Since we in the discussion of Particle Effects, I would like to ask (forgive if its noob) but could we use 3rd party particle effects such as Pyro Particle Editor or TimelineFX Editor to replace the existing building Esenthel particle editor? Would it work?

TimelineFX: Also uses Bruceys LibXML module so that saved files are stored in the flexible XML format

Pyro: Easy to implement with any graphics engine. At least that is what it says.

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
05-08-2011 10:08 AM
Seba Offline

I installed and checked source.
In example you have something like that:
Quote:pPyroGraphics = new PyroParticles::CGraphicsDevice_D3D8(g_pd3dDevice, g_pParticleLibrary->GetMaxRenderParticleQuads());
where:
Quote:LPDIRECT3D8 g_pD3D = NULL;
and
Quote:if (FAILED(hResult = g_pD3D->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, g_hWnd,
D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING,
&d3dpp, &g_pd3dDevice)))
{
if (FAILED(hResult = g_pD3D->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, g_hWnd,
D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING,
&d3dpp, &g_pd3dDevice)))
{
return hResult;
}
}
So I think you can't make it. But I am not sure.
05-08-2011 10:39 AM
dylantan Offline

I see, so there is no other way to integrate these 3rd party particle effects editor then? Oh well, have we would just have create our own particle effect scripts then. Thanks for the reply guys. I found another Particle Editor that very good, its called "Magic Particles" by astralax. I think their work is not bad, and worth to look at it guys if you have the time.

(05-08-2011 10:39 AM)Seba Wrote:  I installed and checked source. ... So I think you can't make it. But I am not sure.

By the way, could you advice me how can we make the particle effect such as the following picture?

[Image: tera-20100322010350199_640w.jpg]

The Particle Effect for AoE (Area of Effect) magics buff looks stunning and see the following:

[Image: tera-20100322010259751_640w.jpg]

The swords swings particle effect is awesome. Any advice on how we could achieve or implement the awesome particle effects in Esenthel if without using any 3rd Party Software?
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2011 08:15 AM by dylantan.)
05-08-2011 03:20 PM
Zervox Offline

both looks like decals to me
05-09-2011 03:03 AM
Seba Offline

And check this too:
30 - Swing Trail Effect.cpp
05-09-2011 07:57 AM
dylantan Offline

(05-09-2011 03:03 AM)Zervox Wrote:  both looks like decals to me

Oh, so its not a particle effect? If decal, how could we attached it to an object like those in the picture? Any advice or tips on the steps?
(05-09-2011 07:57 AM)Seba Wrote:  And check this too:
30 - Swing Trail Effect.cpp

Aha thanks. Will check it out.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2011 08:07 AM by dylantan.)
05-09-2011 08:02 AM
Zervox Offline

It's not attached to objects it's pos is placed underneath them.
decal.matrix.pos = (target vec);

eg if its area of effect

Code:
if(target inside)
{
   FREPD(amounttargets,targets)
      //create decals according to amount of targets inside range
      FREPD(decatargets,decals)
     decal[i].matrix.pos= amounttargets;
there is plenty of ways to make this,
you can do this with particles as well placing them at targets and spawn fire, etc on them.
05-09-2011 08:31 AM
dylantan Offline

(05-09-2011 08:31 AM)Zervox Wrote:  It's not attached to objects it's pos is placed underneath them.
decal.matrix.pos = (target vec);

eg if its area of effect

Code:
if(target inside)
{
   FREPD(amounttargets,targets)
      //create decals according to amount of targets inside range
      FREPD(decatargets,decals)
     decal[i].matrix.pos= amounttargets;
there is plenty of ways to make this,
you can do this with particles as well placing them at targets and spawn fire, etc on them.

OH ok. Thanks Zervox!
05-09-2011 09:50 AM