About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Just sent my purchase form in!! Woo Hoo!!
dicedealer Offline

Just sent my purchase form in!! Woo Hoo!!
I have a couple questions regarding my purchase. Im hoping he accepts Visa card thats where my money is lol.

1) Will i be able to run server and client on my home computer, just set the connection IP to 127.0.0.1?
2) Is it easy to allow players to build buildings, such as houses, guild halls, stores, etc, that remain persistent?
3) My plan is to take the MMO demo source and build on to it, but Ive read that MySql is not used with Esenthel. Is it possible for me to store Player files and other things in MySql?
4) Is it easy to import models created from Blender 2.5?

Thank you for all your help anybody who responds to my questions. Its going to be a blast starting this project grin .
04-09-2011 08:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chris Offline

RE: Just sent my purchase form in!! Woo Hoo!!
Hi, i'll briefly answer a couple of these.

1. Yep, its always good to test network applications in several differenct instances on localhost, before testing across the net with multiple computers.
2. Yes, but start simple - this kind of functionality is easy once you've got a solid network foundation, but if you try and do it before having basic network functionality (e.g. communication to-and-fro from a server/database) you may overcomplicate it. There are many ways to do this:

a.) Have a very simple system where you have 3-5 transition models for a building, and after your players collect the necessary materials, and choose where to build, change the model respectively. A typical object for doing this may be:

struct Building {
Vec Position // (Or perhaps use VecI2 if you only let players build things on a 2d grid)
Byte Transition // e.g. 0 = plans, 1 = basic frame, 2 = frame+walls, 3 = finished building etc
}
b.) Break up all your objects into simple block-based modular parts (like walls, etc). Then give the players the chance to position them - you can reduce network overhead by using 2d or 3d grids instead of floating point position vectors. On the server you will need to keep track of all the positions.
c.) Tons of other ways to do it, such as hybrids of the above two, you get the idea.

3. Checkout the Version History, http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=3416 and keep your eye on the Roadmap: http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=1507 - as you can see SQL support has just been added, and there is a tutorial in 'net' directory.
4. Yes, you can see Documentation.chm > Beginner's Guide > Importing Resources > Importing - for a list of formats.
04-09-2011 10:00 PM
dicedealer Offline

Thank you Chris for your response... Im hoping ill be able to figure out how to get persistent player made buildings in my game. Your answers were very helpful =)
04-13-2011 01:17 AM
Jben Offline

where is the tutorial for SQL Server Integrated MMO? In SDK > Tutoriel > avanced ?
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2011 07:18 AM by Jben.)
04-16-2011 07:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
siwykon Offline

Tutorials/Advanced/1-Geometry, Graphics, Gui, Misc, Net, Sound/Net/Sql.cpp

I think that you looking this. You need newest version of esenthel engine.
04-16-2011 08:06 AM