About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Maximum Frame Rate
Brad_Mclain Offline

Maximum Frame Rate
What is the maximum frame rate that you guys are able to achieve?

Even with an empty world loaded into the RPG2 code base, I can't seem to push it any higher than 50-60.

What is the maximum that Esenthel is capable of?

Am I doing something wrong here or are there settings I need to tweak to get it run higher?

Edit: Added some system specs
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz
512MB GeForce 8800 GT (MSI)
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2011 10:18 AM by Brad_Mclain.)
04-13-2011 10:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynad Offline

RE: Maximum Frame Rate
If you want higher then 50/60 fps then you need to turn the Synchronization off wink

This will limit the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor pfft

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
04-13-2011 11:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brad_Mclain Offline

I have syncronization turned off.

I think the culprit is the Renderer type.
Simple: 200
Forward: 120
Deferred: 50-60

Is there any way to get the deferred renderer to operate at a higher frame-rate?

I am using pretty modest settings for it.
04-13-2011 11:45 AM
Chris Offline

The engine is highly GPU dependant (this is a good thing, show's its well made), you can test this by lowering the resolution - you should see a huge increase in framerate. Make sure your not using too high textures, too many effects, large shadow buffers. You can actually get high frame rates with lots of objects, as other objects get hidden behind others etc & Esenthels Early-Z implementation takes advantage of this.

EDIT: Also check out Documentation.chm > Programming > Performance Optimizations
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2011 11:53 AM by Chris.)
04-13-2011 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brad_Mclain Offline

I am starting to think it might be my GPU since as it is a blank world with only one terrain texture size 1024x1024, kinda thinking there isn't much to optimize.

I could also probably try lowering the view range which is currently 650.

But the performance under the Forward renderer seems to be quite good, so at least that is a positive.
04-13-2011 12:01 PM
fatcoder Offline

Those frame rates should be expected for such an ancient video card.
04-14-2011 12:56 AM
Brad_Mclain Offline

It may not be the newest (~3 years is not ancient) but according to steam hardware survey it is the second most popular so I think achieving good frames on it should be important.

What kind of rates do you guys achieve and what GPU do you have?
04-14-2011 01:17 AM
llynx Offline

(04-14-2011 01:17 AM)Brad_Mclain Wrote:  It may not be the newest (~3 years is not ancient) but according to steam hardware survey it is the second most popular so I think achieving good frames on it should be important.

What kind of rates do you guys achieve and what GPU do you have?

9800 GTS/Q9000 and I get very, very good frame rates on a 3 year old laptop. I do see the massive frame rate difference between forward and deffer ed but thats the price you pay for all the bells and whistles. (9800GTS on a laptop is pretty much the same thing as an 8800GT on a desktop)

On the Sci-Fi benchmark site the 8800 gets from 40-102fps so it really depends on the CPU/resolution etc

And here are my results from the website, not sure if this helps:
Code:
Res        FPS
800x600     121    
1024x640    98    
1280x800    69    
1440x900    56
04-14-2011 02:33 AM
Brad_Mclain Offline

Very helpful, seems consistent with what I am getting. So it seems at least on slightly older cards you will pay with a significant frame rate hit if you want to use the deferred renderer.
04-14-2011 02:48 AM
Zervox Offline

(04-13-2011 10:16 AM)Brad_Mclain Wrote:  What is the maximum frame rate that you guys are able to achieve?

Even with an empty world loaded into the RPG2 code base, I can't seem to push it any higher than 50-60.

What is the maximum that Esenthel is capable of?

Am I doing something wrong here or are there settings I need to tweak to get it run higher?

Edit: Added some system specs
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz
512MB GeForce 8800 GT (MSI)

Sorry, but I thought I needed to quote the first post here .
I can get up to around 1200FPS varying where I look, How much objects, how many of these are the same and share the same materials. Now the test levels I have shown in my showcase topic, I am actually able to reach 460 FPS with 546 objects on screen.

Also with 135 Characters(the stock boxer wearing human mesh that comes with EE which is 9801 Tris each and got 2 textures, haven't checked res) and 546(the rock mesh, which is 5601 Tris,also 2 textures)
objects with no lods on screen and 49 areas, the terrain varies alot based on hills and so on, but since all are flat each one is approximately ~3k tris I am at around 130 FPS while directly looking at all of them, not using any optimization such as draw range except culling(which doesn't count in this matter because I can see all of them).

This is with
HD5870,
AMD x6 1055T
8GB DDR3
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

Quote:I could also probably try lowering the view range which is currently 650.
You could try
Code:
//some fading code based on range as well should be possible
if(Dist(T.pos(),Cam/Player.pos())<500)
{
    //draw code
}
this way you could atleast render far away terrain not limiting the far away visuals too much
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2011 03:30 AM by Zervox.)
04-14-2011 03:27 AM