About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Discount?
Dwight Offline

RE: Discount?
If Esenthel would make more money this way is not questionnable, but remember that game engines that come with a price must be treated as luxury goods. There are more factors that influence the buying behaviour than price alone. (You would feel better if you have something not many others have, then with something that many others have, you want to feel "special")

An analogy in Rolls Royce : if the price of a Rolls Royce would drop (or just a single model of them would drop in price), the customer satisfaction of the people having a Rolls Royce would drop. Destroying the name as is. Decreasing sales in the end (and also increasing the workload, since Rolls Royce has a good service), and a high probability of bankruptcy will follow.

Some market research would give some nice data on how to tackle this problem smile

Note: this is not something about right or wrong, since at this moment, we can only guess what can happen. I could be wrong, and it would be a blast right into the 22nd century with Esenthel.

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
04-19-2011 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rndbit Offline

i doubt this is dropping price of the model case. note that noone is asking a drop in price. company license gives one very important thing -ability to use engine in company. now that means making money, and man whose work is to be used to make money should be decently rewarded - no question. company license is in fact cheap. however before any product reaches level where company can be founded - it is a long way. by time developers can found a company they should already have some money made, noone founds a company with 10$ in a pocket. Now to make enough money to start a company game has to be released to public, sold, or people should be charged for various things if this is online game.

So what if developers are in need of additional features in world editor? No money to get company license they dont need - what is left is coding own world editor. That is quite a setback. And when editor is complete (if it is complete) additional codes that one would get when acquired company license become just useless.

In my humble opinion company license terms are balanced for companies that already have funding - then 750$ is nothing and they would actually benefit from programmable world editor feature.

Then again what is left - probably just hacking own way through it. I am talking about just patching world editor in low level to add functionality needed. That is life of cheap-asses smile
04-19-2011 08:02 PM
Dwight Offline

(04-19-2011 08:02 PM)rndbit Wrote:  i doubt this is dropping price of the model case. note that noone is asking a drop in price. company license gives one very important thing -ability to use engine in company. now that means making money, and man whose work is to be used to make money should be decently rewarded - no question. company license is in fact cheap. however before any product reaches level where company can be founded - it is a long way. by time developers can found a company they should already have some money made, noone founds a company with 10$ in a pocket. Now to make enough money to start a company game has to be released to public, sold, or people should be charged for various things if this is online game.

So what if developers are in need of additional features in world editor? No money to get company license they dont need - what is left is coding own world editor. That is quite a setback. And when editor is complete (if it is complete) additional codes that one would get when acquired company license become just useless.

In my humble opinion company license terms are balanced for companies that already have funding - then 750$ is nothing and they would actually benefit from programmable world editor feature.

Then again what is left - probably just hacking own way through it. I am talking about just patching world editor in low level to add functionality needed. That is life of cheap-asses smile

As for starting a company, that can be done having nothing. I just walk to the registrations office for that here, and I ask for it. The same day, Im the "proud" owner of a company. Im fully liable, but that aside, I do have my company, a one-man company. If you want to create a corporation here, 18.000 euro is what you need, and the day after, you can retrieve those 18.000 again.

Secondly, you mentioned that no one was asking for a drop in price: some people mentioned it, so I thought to bring it back up as well. Therefore also my reactions. That aside, the ability to create custom plugins for Esenthel would be really sweet, so who knows? smile

Thirdly, you can ask for some features that you would like to see in the editor, and all are considered. If Esenthel accepted it, all know that it is going to rock, and will be made bugfree as soon as possible. Not many of us have the skills of Esenthel.

/*
It feels like Im talking for Esenthel here right now, what da? Are you still looking for partnerships from university students as well?
*/

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
04-19-2011 10:08 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

So basically, if you're not a company but are developing a game...and plan to form an LLC before releasing the game, then you must upgrade to company license in order to release your game?
04-19-2011 11:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rndbit Offline

pricing page says "May not be purchased or used by companies", so yes.

@Dwight:
here it takes about 4200$ to start a company (as you said money is received back after showing to tax agency). But even if starting company would not cost anything - money is still needed for engine. See money is needed.. Also dunno about laws in other countries, but here companies are required to have some workers, at least 2. Again money..

There are some things that esenthel just cant be asked for. Like we are in need to build so called geodata maps from the terrain. Geodata is a definition of walkable and non-walkable areas in game. Geodata is used in server side to validate walkability of selected path. And to check line of sight too. See that is not something to be asked. I wonder how many other things we will realize we need too.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2011 07:19 AM by rndbit.)
04-20-2011 07:13 AM