About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Getting stated with C++ help.
zomafish Offline

Getting stated with C++ help.
Hey guys im new here, going to buy a license in a few days once i get my credit card all set up. anyways im wondering where to start with c++ i am a graphic artist i want to learn c++, i know where to find alot of good tutorials but i have no idea how to set up my project and where to implement things like a day night cycle. (i did see the tutorial but i didn't see any real info for newbies as too where i can implement it)

thanks.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2011 06:30 PM by zomafish.)
04-15-2011 06:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Truelegend Offline

RE: Getting stated with C++ help.
If you don't know c++. Dont start programming 3d games ...
First write little programs (console,later gui), later 2d and last 3d.

For help: Google (C++ Tutorials);
04-15-2011 06:49 PM
Chris Offline

(04-15-2011 06:49 PM)Truelegend Wrote:  If you don't know c++. Dont start programming 3d games ...

I disagree, if it's something you're interested, learning via games can be a stimulating way to do it. Compile each of the tutorials, and change bits of code and see what happens - you can always undo. It helps to understand basic programming concepts first though:

Data types: String, Int, Char
Operators
Loops: For, While
Conditions/arguments
Objects: Structs/Classes, Constructors, Methods/Functions
Using & continued learning through API's (e.g. Header Browser)
etc

I teach lots of 2nd year uni students each year. The fastest way to learn is to sit down with someone and have them explain it to you, this way i've found you can teach an enthusiastic student from no programming experience about 80% of the core stuff things in 2 intensive days. So my advice is physically find someone (pay them if necessary) to sit down with you for two days. Take a course somewhere if you can't do this. If you can't do any of these things, you'll make slower progress on your own/from a book. e.g. you need to be confident using the API's before you can self-learn.

Ofcourse i'm not ranting about everything, it takes years and years of experience to be masterful of any language, knowing all the in's-and-outs/various tricks etc. Even then there'll still be things you keep learning... heh.
04-15-2011 07:03 PM
dicedealer Offline

i found this VERY helpful set of tutorials on youtube... just search for AntiRTFM and join his channel... he explains everything in ways even dumb noobs like me can understand, and he uses his screen to show you what everything does.. give that a try. Ive read through lots of tutorials and lots of books, and this set of videos is the best i have seen. Good luck.
04-15-2011 07:38 PM
Dynad Offline

(04-15-2011 06:49 PM)Truelegend Wrote:  If you don't know c++. Dont start programming 3d games ...

I agree with Chris.

Truelegend i believe you need to pay a visit to C++ tutorials aswell... after seeing some posts of yours you don't seem to know C++ very well or any language for that matter...

To make it short... you need to earn our "respect" on this forum by giving people your knowledge about programming, EE, third party snippets.... not just referencing stuff to other sites or useless comments. Learn yourself more about whats programming all about before you are gonna tell people what to do.

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
04-15-2011 07:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
zomafish Offline

I will learn quickly, I really just want to learn the basics so that i can better comprehend the coding side of environment design.

thanks for the links and replys guys, i respect this community and hope to contribute in the near future once i figure this out.
04-16-2011 05:44 AM
Dandruff Offline

you're gonna have a great time learning the language smile If you need any help with the engine/c++ feel free to ask - we'd love to help! it's also great for you to want to know what's happening behind the scenes, ha, very smart smile
04-16-2011 06:37 AM