About Store Forum Documentation Contact

[Resolved] Weird graphics error
dragonfly3 Offline

[Resolved] Weird graphics error
I'm having an unusual graphics bug that I can't seem to figure out. I placed a cave system in my world with a hole in the terrain. This cave system is made up of small tunnels shaped differently that you piece together to form the length and shape you wish.

Recently I changed one piece of the cave-the end piece which is flush with the terrain & the hole in the terrain; the entrance. I placed it in a different position and created a new entrance in the terrain in that position.

I have updated visible and clean all, build all literally dozens of times trying to get it to update to the current new position settings of the model but it just will not reset it.

It has updated the terrain and the hole in the terrain (I sealed the old hole & created a new one). However, it won't place the model in the new position.

In the world editor everything is correct. When you test play via the world editor it goes to the old position of the model. When you run the actual game it goes to the old position of the model. However, the new terrain is correct. Any ideas of why it is doing this? Why won't it update the new model position? How can I fix this?
Screenshots:
Inside world editor:

Actual game (this is also how it appears in the world editor test play):

I'm also having problems with a texture on a model. I changed the texture on a model. In game the model shows up solid white until the camera comes close to it, then the texture pops up on the model. Any ideas as to why this is happening?
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2011 04:00 PM by dragonfly3.)
04-26-2011 06:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: Weird graphics error
Did you update the physbox as well?
04-26-2011 09:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragonfly3 Offline

(04-26-2011 09:37 PM)Tottel Wrote:  Did you update the physbox as well?

Yes, it's updated as well
04-26-2011 11:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

for texture problem, maybe you have different LODs ? and only 1st is set correctly

it's hard to see from the screens what's the problem.
04-27-2011 02:23 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

in a nutshell the problem is that I used to have the model in position A. I moved it to position B instead. The engine won't move it to position B. It is keeping it in position A, although in the editor it's in position B.

In the screenshots I posted, the location labeled "location it places" is where the model used to be and is no longer there, but when we run the test play and the actual .exe for the game it shows up there. The location labeled "actual location" is where the model is located now (where I put it in the editor & where it appears to be in the editor). I moved it from the "location it places" to the "actual location." The engine seems to not be saving the new location for some reason. I don't understand why. I have even deleted the model completely, TWICE, and placed a new model and it still keeps showing the old one and the old location. I've even put entirely different models in it's place instead just to test it to see if it would show them, and it won't. It just keeps the old one. I've made dozens of other changes to the .world both with terrain and the addition of models...and even changed other models and model positions. I've done clean builds dozens of times. I've updated the visible world dozens of times. But for some weird reason the engine saves and builds all of the other changes but refuses to build and save the changes made to this particular model.

I will try to create videos to show the problem more clearly but won't be able to do it until later this evening or tonight.

As for the texture issue with the other model (I didn't post pictures of that) I'll check the LODs.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2011 04:50 PM by dragonfly3.)
04-27-2011 04:47 PM
Mardok Offline

IMO problem is by your side. I have created simple tunnel with simple material and for me all is working fine, no problems here.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/971/81669052.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4601/50128243.jpg
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3628/42787481.jpg
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9497/10021798.jpg

Maybe show us your cave model pfft
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2011 09:23 PM by Mardok.)
04-27-2011 08:53 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

I discovered the problem. I swear, when you stare at this stuff for 10 hours a day, every day, the simplest thing escapes your vision.

I made a video to show the problem I was having and while reviewing the video I discovered what was wrong.

I'm posting a link to the video so everyone can see it for future reference just in case someone else ever has the similar problem. This way they will know how to fix it.

The problem was that I had the model set to Access "Default" instead of "Embed into terrain." While I was switching models and using different ones to test it I was doing so in the same window so it kept the "Default" Access setting. You can see it in the video. I noticed it in the video after I uploaded it and watched it to test the upload.

here is the video: http://hedrononline.com/wierdmodelbug.wmv

I was soooo frustrated because I spent so much time trying to figure this out. It's all working perfectly now. smile
04-28-2011 05:54 AM