About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Importing Woody3D Tree Models
dylantan Offline

RE: Importing Woody3D Tree Models
Thanks for the reply Dandruff. Actually we wanted to use Woody3D native mesh inside of Esenthel without conversion (just giving an example: Elder scrolls oblivion uses SpeedTree native tree mesh inside the game). But many of you suggested that we convert Woody tree mesh into other mesh or Esenthel mesh format.

I have to be honest, we are still pretty new to game and we still a lot to learn. Lets see what we can do. Thanks for the advice.

(05-06-2011 12:42 AM)Dandruff Wrote:  I am not entirely sure what's limiting you... So you want the trees generated from Woody3d to work in Esenthel? To do that you must convert that format into a format that Esenthel, or any other engine you're using for that matter, recognizes (be it a wavefront obj/Esenthel mesh).

It doesn't matter if you're using the Unreal/Irrlicht/Hero/Leadwerks engine, or whatever engine you may find, it's up to you, the programmer to add in whatever feature you want, hence 3rd party component. Since Esenthel is in c++ and Woody3D is too, there's not much that would limit you from a successful integration, unless of course you want to merge the actual rendering engine from Woody3D into Esenthel.. you'd need a beefy wallet for that smile

Same goes for FaceFX. There's even a Facial Animation tutorial in 4 - Demos, Game Basics\Demos. I'm positive you can get FaceFX to work using that.
05-06-2011 02:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rofar Offline

I'm not familiar with Woody3D but many times these types of 3rd party components produce data that is specifically designed to work efficiently with their renderer. Therefore, converting the mesh to another format may completely defeat the purpose of wishing to use this system. So, yes...if all you want to do is have an Esenthel ready asset created with Woody3D, then conversion is doable. But if there is render engine specific information included in the Woody3D asset, then you likely just lose that in the conversion.
05-06-2011 10:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Demi Offline

Getting something like this into the game engine will require a bit of work on your part.

You need to follow Grzegorz example here and make a mesh factory that will convert the output of Woody 3D to a mesh format. I have not spent much time programming lately as I been world building so I would need to dig deeper into the engines capability but I believe you can intercept on load of the terrain, prefetching the models that would require a conversion and then pass these meshes back to the engine.

Typical of how it works anyway.
05-07-2011 06:28 PM
Seba Offline

Do you try to make that program?
05-08-2011 01:37 PM
dylantan Offline

(05-08-2011 01:37 PM)Seba Wrote:  Do you try to make that program?

Unfortunately we did not. There is so many thing unknown to us at this point of time, and we just give up trying and I think we better spend those time doing the actual game programming. At the moment, we are creating the Trees in 3DS using another Tree Generator and export it to obj format so that we can use it with Esenthel.

Since we paid for the Woody3D, we are waiting for Woody3D version 1.2 which could export to obj and fbx format.
05-08-2011 03:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply